Tarp
    WBSF, Edge, Vertex
    Insulation
    Incu-Burrow!
    Suspension
    Camo w/Dutch Bling
    Images

Suspension Replacement on CJH North American

I wanted to simplify the suspension on my Clark NA and lighten the load. So, I replaced the whole shootin' match with custom WS, tree straps and goodies from Dutch. I'm saving about 6oz compared to the stock suspension and instead of having multiple connections from the hammock to the trees, I just have one at each end and there are no knots to tie.

Here's a video that shows what I did. Please let me know what you think and what other ideas you have to improve this.

My YouTube channel: Tool Dude Tony
    "No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Bonzai

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Excellent editing, crisp presentation. All the toys, but seriously and rarely, most immediately justified as worthwhile tools. (Is there a tool or app to mark for showing as a still any single frame in a video? You have several winners here. ) One of the best, and one of the best teaser videos for Dutch's doodles, prusiks, mitten hooks, and tensioners I've seen.

I'll direct this video to those I've gifted with starter hammocks.

But, if they ask for Clarks, I'll decline; maybe offer to pay the upgrade to Camo for fly or hammock. Not both.

--------

Too bad about the DQ you have to get in best hammock hang demo rodeo competition: for putting your hammock on the ground and then letting the hammock touch the ground again, at around 1.00. But, bonus points for character in not editing it out.

All smilies implied.

For Clark veterans: Would you report what you've found to be your personal pref for ratio of hammock length to virtual ridgeline? By "virtual", I mean what the length would be if it ran only between the hammock ends.
    Last edited by DemostiX; 01-02-2012 at 17:25.

Hammock
    Clarke North American
    Suspension
    WS and Dutch parts
    Great Video. I am in the process of doing the same thing. A few questions. You made the adjustable ridgeline out of Amsteel, but I think I will make mine of zing-it, just cause I have some. How long should I make my adjustable ridgeline, specifically for my Clarke North American. Also, what would be the minimum distance you can get on your 4 foot Whoopie Sling. Again, great set-up, and great video. Thanks

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Like others, I have found I want to hang a ridge line higher, to clear the hood and netting, so it must extend to beyond the Clark ends, or beyond at least one of them. Put 9" long extensions at each end and you will have a virtual length of 96" + 18"= 114". Or, you could intercept the attached whoopies that distance out from the fixed eye of the whoopie sling you have larks -headed to the hammock end. 9" out should be beyond the bury for the fixed eye. Just carefully go between the strands of the whoopie sling with the ridgeline fixed loop on one end and pull the rest of the ridge line through the fixed loop. Do the same with a real 'biner or very inexpensively with a quickly made Zing-It soft-shackle into the whoopie sling at the other end.

I am comfortable in Clarks with the target frequently found 83-85% ridge line length. That = 83" + 9" = 92" long and up to a few inches more.

The 400+ lb strength Zing It is more than strong enough for this use.

Hammock
    Clarke North American
    Suspension
    WS and Dutch parts
    I have another question regarding this suspension system. What about rain? Seems to me that if I made the suspension as shown in the video I may have a problem with rain running down my lines, both to the hammock, and to the ridgeline. I think idealy I would want the dutch biners on both ends, to be under the edge of my Clarke tarp, so that the biiners would act as a drip ring, but I dont know if this would be possible. Any suggestions. Thanks again to Dudorino and DemostiX for sharing your knowledge. Cheers,

Should work fine. I add a strip of cotton cloth to mine just for redundancy.

• + New Posts