Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    When purchasing a hammock, one should consider personal style and needs, as well as usage conditions. If planning to backpack, most people want to go with the lightest weight options. Unless the user is claustrophobic or wants to keep all of his gear in the hammock, at your size, the Asym Backpacker, Hyperlight, Deep Jungle, or Expedition will fit. (All the same size, but in different materials and weights) Of those three, the Hyperlight is the lightest and most expensive. A good middle-ground is the Asym Backpacker, unless you prefer the lightest available option. If you are car-camping or traveling short distances, the Expedition may work for you. (I find it too bulky and heavy and usually carry the Hyperlight in summer.) Also, the weave of the Expedition allows mosquito bite-through from the bottom, so it needs a pad or a coating of permethrin spray. If you need more room inside, it may be worth the extra expense and weight/bulk penalty of the Explorer-sized models.

I like the bottom entry in summer, for quick escape from insects, and ease of exit/entry without a zipper to open and close. Also, it is easier to avoid getting the inside wet if it is raining as I get in and out. I might carry the side-zip in winter only becaue it is easier to deal with bottom insulation. If you will be using the hammock in cooler temperatures, the side-zip may be what you want. A lot of people feel the need for some sort of bottom insulation by the time the temps hit 50 or 60 degrees F. An automobile windshield reflector or a suspended space blanket may be enough with your sleeping bag at those temps. Air will be moving under the hammock to rob the user of warmth. The same happens when someone sleeps on a simple canvas cot. Try one outdoors without a tent sometime and you will quickly feel that effect.

Hennessy does not offer the combination of side-entry and bottom-entry together at this time. It would add both expense and weight. Most people like commercial hammocks for simplicity AND weight savings.

Happy New Year,
    Rosaleen

Hennessy Hammock afficionado and supporter.

Hammock
    WB BB dbl1.1
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    UKhammocks UQ\TQ
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbin
    Images
    How tall are you Rosaleen?

I am a 3 season camper and the lowest temperatures i experience is about 39 degrees F. What kind of underquilt do I need for temperatues like this?

What about Supershelter 4-Season Insulation System # 1 ?
    Last edited by koffar; 01-02-2012 at 16:59.

I'm about 5' 8.5." I'm shrinking a bit in height with blown-out discs in my back and age. So, I'm close to your height. I don't keep a lot of "stuff" inside my hammock and am happy wth the UL Backpacker size.

I think that the SuperShelter would be OK at the temperatures you anticipate. Make sure you have a mylar space blanket, as Tom Hennessy suggests, and plan to add layers, as needed. A windshield reflector or one of Tom's Reflectix pads would be a good thing to layer, as well. The adjustments on the Undercover's pad should keep the insulation snugged up to the hammock bottom.

I have a Supershelter that I only use if I don't have to go far. Most of my experience is with using a Therm-a-Rest or closed-cell foam pad, early in my hammocking, or more recently, with a suspended space blanket with layers of fleece poncho and/or my Gossamer Gear Thinlight pad which is also my backpack's pad.

I posted a description of my personal set-up in a DIY part of this site, in response to a queston about making bottom insulation from fleece and wool. Now that I have also acquired both a side-zip Hennessy Asym Backpacker and a Stephenson DAM, I want to do some experimenting with those. Relying on an underquilt seems problematic to me in light of their ineffectiveness for comfort and insulation if one needs to "go to ground."

Regards,
    Rosaleen

Hennessy Hammock afficionado and supporter.

Hammock
    WB BB dbl1.1
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    UKhammocks UQ\TQ
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbin
    Images
    I watched the video on HH.com and the mylar thing seemed too make alot of noise
    I am a cold sleeper so Im really not sure if this thing will keep me warm

I am thinking about maby buying a incubator UQ, anny thoughts on this?
    Maby I go for the 20F version to be on the safe side, can a UQ be too warm??

Hammock
    HH Explorer
    Tarp
    AHE Hard Rock/OMW
    Insulation
    Leighlo , HH SS
    Suspension
    WB adj web
    Quote Originally Posted by koffar View Post
    I watched the video on HH.com and the mylar thing seemed too make alot of noise
    I am a cold sleeper so Im really not sure if this thing will keep me warm

I am thinking about maby buying a incubator UQ, anny thoughts on this?
    Maby I go for the 20F version to be on the safe side, can a UQ be too warm??
    It will keep you warm I have been to 16 with my Super Shelter, and was quite warm. As for the noise the more the space blanket is used the quieter it gets.

Hammock
    WB BB dbl1.1
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    UKhammocks UQ\TQ
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbin
    Images
    It will keep you warm I have been to 16 with my Super Shelter, and was quite warm. As for the noise the more the space blanket is used the quieter it gets.
    Have you experienced condensation when using the super shelter?
    How low do you think you could go without the space blanket?

Hammock
    1.9oz DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    DIY UCR
    Have you considered the Double Bubble Radiant Pad that hennessy sells. It is designed to go inside the supper shelter with the pad. It is not expensive.
    My order came yesterday and i must say the stock fly is pretty small! I ordered the hex fly for both me and my wife...much larger and only a $20 upgrade. It came with the scout not the cub.

Hammock
    WB BB dbl1.1
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    UKhammocks UQ\TQ
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbin
    Images
    It sais: Under most conditions this pad will keep you warm down to 40 degrees Fahrenhei on theyr website. If this is true I think maby this will be the best and lightest solution for me
    I have no problem sleeping with my clothing on to keep me warm if its necessary

Maby the dobble bottom hammock is a better choise if I go with the bubble pad?

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    I have the DJ which is double bottom and I love it. I used it a week ago in low 30's with the super shelter and a TQ and UQ. I was so toasty warm and no condensation. I don't have the under pad, but I do have the reflective pad from HH. I have not used it yet though. I think the reflective pad would be good when it really gets cold. I love the double bottm for protection from mosquitos and for the ease of slipping a pad in. The side zip is great, but I also like the bottom entry. However; with an UQ the bottom entry is more difficult.
    Only you know what is best for you. I just hope all the information is helpful. HYOH...
    "No whining in the woods"

Hammock
    HH Explorer
    Tarp
    AHE Hard Rock/OMW
    Insulation
    Leighlo , HH SS
    Suspension
    WB adj web
    Quote Originally Posted by koffar View Post
    Have you experienced condensation when using the super shelter?
    How low do you think you could go without the space blanket?
    With out the blanket, about 40.
    I have yet to have the condensation issues the some have had.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast