Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images

Wiggy's zippered poncho liner

Does anybody have one of these?

http://wiggys.com/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=197

Living in Texas, I'm looking for a cheap(er) alternative to big $ underquilts. Looking at PULQ's and was wondering if the zipper on this would make it work as a field expedient UQ same same as a mummy bag with a zippered foot box.

You could probably make it work as a pod along with some other insulation to take you into colder temps, alone they work very well in milder temp's! Not sure how warm it alone will work in the cold, but at that price it would be worth the try as it could always be used as a car emergency blanket or something else if it does not work!?!?
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    The temps down here on the Gulf Coast generally don't get all that cold. I have a Hennesy Deep Jungle with a pad, which should do me for most of what I'd be looking at, just looking for something to let me hang in late Feb/early March. The issue, I'm guessing, would be if the zipper is one way ot two way so that I can open the footbox. The other open is a DIY with a surplus liner, which will run about $35 less, but I've read here that the Wiggy's is a bit warmer and may have more dueal functionality without cutting nup or tooo much other work on a surplys liner.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sargevining View Post
    The temps down here on the Gulf Coast generally don't get all that cold. I have a Hennesy Deep Jungle with a pad, which should do me for most of what I'd be looking at, just looking for something to let me hang in late Feb/early March. The issue, I'm guessing, would be if the zipper is one way ot two way so that I can open the footbox. The other open is a DIY with a surplus liner, which will run about $35 less, but I've read here that the Wiggy's is a bit warmer and may have more dueal functionality without cutting nup or tooo much other work on a surplys liner.
    Yeah, the zipper is going to be the big deal either way on this one. If it has a two-way zipper, using it as a pea pod would seem to be (haven't done this, so it's from hearsay) very easy.

If you want to go the PLUQ route, an issue liner should be good down to about 40 or 45 for most folks (I find that it'll get me down to into the high 30s, but I'm a very warm sleeper). The Wiggys version should be good for another 5 to 10 F below that, by all reports.

However, if you decide to use one of the issue liners as a top quilt, you may wish to supplement it with your "around camp" clothes around the torso and shoulder area when temps are expected to be below 40 F. I find that this helps eliminate drafts and keeps my core warmer. Even a lightweight fleece zip hoodie works (this combo--along with mid-weight fleece and nylon base layers, a good hat, and loose socks--has gotten me down to 37 F comfortably; I hope to test it down into the twenties tomorrow night).

I hope that things work out well for you!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    I turned my regular Wiggy's PL (no zipper) into an UQ following some of the no-sew plans here on the forum. It's kind of bodged it together with various string and some big shock-cord I had laying around.

I haven't really had a chance to try it in anything below the upper 50s yet but it seemed OK at those temps. The biggest problem I think will be with cold spots. The wiggys liner is much stiffer but thicker than a regular mil-surplus liner. Since I didn't really get a good differential shape to this when I doubled the fabric over I think the top will bunch up somewhat. I think this may give me some hit-or-miss cold spots. I hope this will be good enough for my 7yr old to get through some spring trips here in FL (almost a full length for him). I'm planning to stuff an additional PL between the layers for additional insulation.

Unless you're getting some extra discount you'll be into this wiggys liner for $100 after adding the zipper. You'll get a lot more bang for the buck with a dedicated UQ from one of the various vendors here for just a few more bucks. Adding a suspension will be another maybe $10 or so in clips and cord. You can easily find some gently used 3-season down or synthetic UQs here for that price range. I got my PL from Wiggys on a good sale but at the end of the day I needed an UQ for my kid a lot more than a PL. That's the only reason I bothered with this project.

I too like to bring multi-purpose gear as much as possible to save weight in my pack. At the end of the day though I'd rather have two pieces of gear that work well to do two tasks than one piece that does both jobs poorly.

Hammock
    WBB
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Baby Orca/Klymit
    Suspension
    straps/c buckles
    Images
    it didn't give a price so I pushed order. with ties.
    it came to $42.
    could very well be a viable option for right now.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

AT '12. AT '14. FT '15. CA '15.

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Why not just get the one without the zipper and use it as a pod? I believe they are 60X84 inches. Just tie it over you and don't worry about the zippers. I still don;t know how warm it will be. The Wiggy's is much warmer than the standard poncho liners, but I would be surprised to see it get below 40 F.

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Yah;

I was looking at the Wiggy's B/C of the posts I've seen here and elsewhere for DIY sew and no-sew PLUQ's. My interest in the zipper model is that I'm a big fan of dual use stuff. The zipper makes it (IMO) a better field expedient sleeping bag that might do well as a TQ on Texas nights where the bubble pad on the Deep Jungle is enough for underneath, and it might make a good "loaner" or emergency sleeping bag in a pinch. The side tie sleeping bag mode for the issue woobie is less than optimum.

it didn't give a price so I pushed order. with ties.
    it came to $42.
    could very well be a viable option for right now.
    Just checked myself with zipper and coyote brown, it comes to $77.00. If it zips right, I'll pull the trigger, if not, the side ties does everything I want, just not as well in sleeping bag mode.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Yah;

I was looking at the Wiggy's B/C of the posts I've seen here and elsewhere for DIY sew and no-sew PLUQ's. My interest in the zipper model is that I'm a big fan of dual use stuff. The zipper makes it (IMO) a better field expedient sleeping bag that might do well as a TQ on Texas nights where the bubble pad on the Deep Jungle is enough for underneath, and it might make a good "loaner" or emergency sleeping bag in a pinch. The side tie sleeping bag mode for the issue woobie is less than optimum.

Just checked myself with zipper and coyote brown, it comes to $77.00. If it zips right, I'll pull the trigger, if not, the side ties does everything I want, just not as well in sleeping bag mode.
    If you're warm underneath with the bubble pad, have you tried using a standard tie-out model liner as a top quilt? With the thing longways and the outside foot ties tied together, with the middle foot tie tied to them, and the mid-point ties tied together, all to shape a footbox, it works pretty well. It doesn't get you much below 40-ish with an issue one without supplementation from clothing and such, but it's really comfy above that.

If you want, I can post a set of photos to make the above a little clearer...

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Yah;

The tie out version might have more uses than the zipper version. You can also tie the end shut in the foot box for a smaller area. The zipper won't give you that option without another piece of string. The zipper model also won't afford a "pod mode" that the tie out version will. Not to mention that the zippers will conduct heat away from you that a piece of string will not.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast