View Poll Results: How do you feel about campfires? (excludes gas stoves)

Voters
282. You may not vote on this poll
  • I will ALWAYS have a campfire!

199 70.57%
  • I only use campfires to fight bugs and the cold.

34 12.06%
  • Campfire? What ever my hiking partner wants.

39 13.83%
  • I hate campfires.

10 3.55%
Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1018192021 LastLast

Thread: Campfires suck.

Hammock
    WB / BIAS
    Tarp
    HG Custom 4S
    Insulation
    WB Lynx, HG, MB
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Straps
    Hiking by myself in the backcountry, I will pretty much never build a fire, except during winter when snowshoeing or icefishing, in which case I really like to use my bushbuddy. (Great for brewing up a coffee or tea, or thawing out frozen fingers!) When hiking with friends or family, I like to go with the flow, and if a fire is required, I like to build it for them. There is nothing more fun than getting the kids to help me source tinder, then kindling, then fuel wood, and starting a fire using a firesteel. Showing them how to keep a small fire burning hot and efficient is a great skill that could save them in a pinch.

Last but not least, there are few experiences in life as satisfying as introducing the uninitiated to that simple, lifechanging experience known as ... "The S'more"

Last edited by Callahan; 01-03-2012 at 22:36. Reason: Spelling Challenged

Hammock
    WB BB DL 1.7oz
    Tarp
    SuperFly/Oware
    Insulation
    KAUQ,WBurrowTQU,PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Most always have a fire unless outlawed due to irresponsables. Leave No Trace.
    The Older I get, the Faster I use to be.

Hammock
    Travel Hammock
    Tarp
    ExpeditionExplorer
    Insulation
    DIY IX TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    SLS
    I've always had a camp fire. I would even have one while solo camping, just a small one though. The camp fire has always given me a sense of security. If your worried about burning holes in your tarp, try putting your setup a little farther away. As for the cloths... be a little more careful, your by a fire for god sakes, you should be being careful any way. Also loved the post by SilvrSurfr

Hammock
    MYOG Gathered End Hammock
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole!!
    Insulation
    Tewa UQ, Sleep Bag
    Suspension
    MYOG Whoopie Sling
    I LOVE campfires, the smell, the warmth the smoke, I LOVE a fire. But generally, there are very few places where I would have one backpacking, I'm usually too tired and a lot of places they are banned outside of already established rings. But if those two things don't stop me, a fire is always welcome, in an already established ring, of course.

I agree with Fronkey, the smoke does smell better than me after a hike, I also welcome it in my clothes and hair for driving away bugs. I've been known to take the coals from the night before and rub soot on my face arms and legs (I always sponge bathe it off before bed). It is the BEST sun and bug protection ever, way better than anything you can buy in a store.

Oh and it just occurred to me that some people have said that fire is damaging to the environment, I'd just like to point out that fire is essential for new life and growth in all nature, from the pineyest woods to the driest desert. If you want a good brain twister, google these two things and think about the answer, what are carbon emissions and what do plants need to live. For those of you who don't want to search it on your own, I'll tell you. Carbon Dioxide. Yes that answer is for both. Carbon Emissions are essential for plant life. Not trying to in any way to imply we should all go out and start fires for the benefit of nature or not practice fire safety, or antagonize anyone in their personal belief, you are allowed to disagree with me just as I am allowed to disagree with you. I always try to respect everyone's beliefs, just think it's funny
    Last edited by SunshineHiker; 01-04-2012 at 00:16.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    ZPacks cuben
    Insulation
    WB, JRB, or HG
    Suspension
    Webbing

Situation dictates

I wouldn't say campfires suck but I'm not emotionally attached to having them either. I'm perfectly content when I'm solo and don't have one.....but I will say that they add to the enjoyment of (my) family trips. Roasting hot dogs, making s'mores, telling stories, and sitting together with with my wife and sons near the fire makes for a more memorable and enjoyable experience for us.

I think overall it's simply a matter of being responsible. Keep the size reasonable, gather wood appropriately (or bring your own if you're car or campground camping), extinguish it properly and return the site to it's original or better state and I'm good.

Act like a jackass and get some negative attention.

Too easy.

I also appreciate time without a fire. I agree, as mentioned on a few other posts, the sounds, sights, etc. associated with camping without a fire can be amazing as well. My oldest son (6) and I had a blast with just our headlamps one one of our trips last year. He was amazed at the different perspective he got with no campfire. Even picked up on the fact that he could hear more of what was going on around us without the fire. We counted the different bug noises and watched some raccoon eyes moving around in the woods.....neither of which we would have noticed if we had a campfire going.

Hammock
    DIY Table Cloth/ Jerry 5
    Tarp
    11x12' Hex Sil
    Insulation
    Various UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing or Etrunks
    Images
    I like fire as a tool, it provides heat for cooking, and heat to stay warm. If on a trip I am equipped to do both of those sans fire I do. If I can benefit from its heat I feel no reason why i shouldn't. Fire to me is work that takes away from my camping experience at times and adds to it at other times. I find the social aspects of a camp fire to be over rated.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Rhino
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    HammockGear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    i have always liked fires. as far as i know, fire is natural to forests and some pines actually need fire for the cones to produce the seed. i think that i read that fire prevention, that is not allowing fires to occur naturally, has a negative impact on forests. but . . . when it comes to campfires . . . to each his own.

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    It looks like the actual poll results are telling. Over 70% have one all of the time and over 80% prefer them at least some of the time. 13% are undecided and less than 5% (fewer than one out of twenty) don't like fires at all.

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PuckerFactor View Post
    Reminds me of something I heard a while back:
    Indian man make small fire to stay warm. White man make big fire and stay warm splitting wood for fire. Or something to that effect.
    You're close. I think it's, "Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life".
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    We've pretty much exhausted this topic, don't you think? OP, did you get enough feedback on your original question? If so, let's move on.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

• + New Posts
  • Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1018192021 LastLast