Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY winter
    Insulation
    ATP
    Suspension
    Whoopies & webbing
    Les Rust: Good point. I did make it back.

I used my DIY hammock for this one, but the ENO is super comfortable. I usually carry my DIY just for weight savings, but if I'm car camping or not hiking far it's the eno for sure.

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ straps
    There are good trips and others not so good for sure. Spring is around the corner. Glad you had a chance to mess with your gear. That's always a plus.

Hammock
    HH UL Bckpker -2QZQ mod 4
    Tarp
    Spinn Mambajamba
    Insulation
    JRB Mt.W & No Sniv
    Suspension
    DC's & Whoopies
    Have you been to cuivre river before, just Curious about how you like the park other than this experience. I've been meaning to head over there and have heard good things about it.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY winter
    Insulation
    ATP
    Suspension
    Whoopies & webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhino View Post
    Have you been to cuivre river before, just Curious about how you like the park other than this experience. I've been meaning to head over there and have heard good things about it.
    This was my first time there, so I'm not a good judge. It looks like a good place to go off-trail, as there are good-sized wild areas.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WB, ZPacks
    Insulation
    Incubators/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoppie/Strap
    Images
    First night out in a hammock is always like that for me. Second night I sleep much better. I like to hike more so I get really tired, that helps. Also the ear plugs are a must for me. I also like to pull my fleece hat over my eyes to make it darker.

Keep going out there you"ll get dialed in soon. Maybe you were hyper sensitive because you were alone and in a strange place? Try a more familiar place for your next solo.

You learned some things, it was a good trip. You just didn't sleep that much.

S

Hammock
    i like my HH
    Tarp
    no preference(yet)
    Insulation
    pad and bag
    Suspension
    what came/w the HH
    You still got to get step into the woods for a bit. A good learning experience I'm sure. Next time around will be better. Sorry you missed out on the steripen. We used ours this summer while kayaking in Alaska. Prior to that we had wondered down to a spring fed creek at the back of my parents property for our first testing. Used a homemade filter for the big stuff (dirt, leaves and such) and the pen for the important stuff. I love it and I'm sure you'll be happy with it. Good luck with your future trips.

Sunny
    "Mother Gue", I says "the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world," and by God, I was right. Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline.

Hammock
    1.5oz Ripstop Single Layer DIY
    Tarp
    HMG Cuben Hex
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix & Incub
    Suspension
    Strp,Whoop,Biner
    Quote Originally Posted by BullFrog View Post
    Well, I'm back earlier than I expected. There were multiple things that did not go quite as well as I had hoped. First, the visitor center was closed, so I couldn't get any trail info (water availability, routes). The trail map I got stinks. I hiked for about 3 hours yesterday, which was fun, but the trail was in pretty bad shape due to horse use. Alas, there was no sign of water except a dry creek bed, so no Steripen test. I got set up around 4:30, ate some dinner and lounged in the hammock for a bit before deciding to turn in for the night. Problem was, I just couldn't sleep. I normally like to bring Advil PM camping, but I forgot it this time. I dozed off for an hour twice, then was awoken by mice rustling around. I laid in my hammock until 2:00 without sleeping, so between that and the fox screaming 50 feet from me (creepy!), I decided to pack it up and hike out. I got to my car at about 3:30.

I hadn't done much real night hiking before, it's pretty cool with all the little mice and creatures running around. I also heard some great horned owls and coyotes howling. Good stuff.

While laying awake for several hours, I was able to do a proper gear warmth test . It got down to 28 degrees, and I was toasty. Took me awhile to alleviate CBS by fiddling with the UQ, but it was warm when I figured it out. I found it exponentially better than a pad. I also had the shock cord shoot through the cord lock and into the channel twice, which is a pain in the butt to fix when it's cold and you don't want to get up, but I solved that problem. I got too hot once or twice and had to vent the TQ.

Overall, not a successful trip, but I learned some things. Always bring advil, extra water, and earplugs. Also, horses poop an unbelievable amount. Stunning.

I only have a couple pics; I didn't charge the camera battery beforehand (oops) but it wasn't that pretty anyway. MO in winter is mostly just brown trees

I think I'm starting to ramble. To the pics!
    Go to www.baxpax.org for trail information before you go backpacking anywhere in Missouri.
    Nick 'Towellie'
    www.baxpax.org

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12