Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

General Hammock Question

I read through the first few pages of the sticky, however the cheaper hammocks listed there don't seem to be available online anymore. I'm brand new to this and i'm not sure what a good hammock is for general camping where the temperature probably wouldn't go below 30 F. Does anyone have any opinions on the Grand Trunk Air Bivy Extreme Shelter? found here: http://store.grandtrunkgoods.com/ten...xtreme-shelter
    Thanks,
    Nick

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    the Air Bivy Extreme Shelter is certainly cool looking-literally since it has no insulation in the kit....so you could use it as is probably to 60F before you get chilly. Of course adding insulation is a whole 'nother world after selecting a hammock.
    Let me save you time/trouble/effort/consteration--buy a Warbonnet Blackbird and be done with it..if you get into this sport of hanging from trees you will eventually (most likely) end up with a Blackbird.
    THEN study insulation based on the temps you plan on hanging in.
    Me and many others hang in temps from OF and lower to the 90s-maybe some even higher.
    The beauty of hammocking is the vast array of insulation options.
    Study here at HF and you'll discover many vendors offering underquilts for a huge range of temperatures, top quilts too.
    Most of us avoid sleeping bag use in a hammock but it is done, it works, and you've probably already got a sleeping bag!
    So go step by step.
    Borrow a hammock and try it first--better yet get to a group hang--most of us are more than willing to let you try ours for a while.
    Buy a cheaper hammock than the one you listed if you want to gamble on the low end that you'll like it.
    Save your money for the Blackbird.
    Many types of insulation have been used--pads both ccf and self inflating but in the end most end up with a down underquilt-they pack so small and are so so so warm for the weight, but there are synthetic underquilts and top quilts too...Paul at AHE has great ones.
    Remember if/when you get a Blackbird and you end up not liking it you can sell it here on this forum usually very quickly.
    When your studying the quilts go to Jacks-R-Better, HammockGear, or one of my new favorites LeighLo....you cannot go wrong with either of them or many others like Te-wa, ChickenwingHammocks, and many others I cant remember.

BUT most importantly as you being the learning process go to youtube and find Shug and Professor Hammock...sit back and become a sponge.

Hammock
    GT Single
    Tarp
    Henny Hex 70D
    Insulation
    DIY Peapod
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps
    +1 on Going to watch Shug's vids... I am a Noob in the hammock world also. Now that I have seen all of shug's vids I feel like I know it all . Ok that was a joke but his vid are very informative and entertaining.
    Desiel®
    Hanging Noob
    "If you can't change it, don't worry about it."
    -Me

“All you need is 20 seconds and insane courage, and I promise you something great will come of it.”

Here is another thumbs up for Shug's videos. They are informative and entertaining!

I'll be sure to watch them! thanks!!

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    The model you're looking at just combines the Skeeter Beeter with the tarp. Both great options. I like the Skeeter Beeter because you can easily throw your arm up and around the bug net to adjust an under quilt (if so equipped) without a second person involved.

Hammock
    Warbonnet El Dorado
    Tarp
    WL Tad Pole tarp
    Insulation
    Enlightened UQ
    I have and can recommend the Skeeter Beeter Ultralight. A much cheaper option is just the Ultralight, which forgoes the bug net and can often be had for under $20 at various places online, I'm told. Watch out tho - it's usually advertised as coming with suspension, but based on online reviews, the suspension is actually included only about half the time. So be prepared to figure out your own suspension.

In any case, the hammock itself rarely has any effect on warmth; it's the pads, sleeping bags, and quilts you add that are keeping you warm.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I tire of Shug!
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    I tire of Shug!
    Shug
    Don't listen to Shug, you should go watch Shug. I don't know from experience, but I can only imagine that it's good to be the Shug.

Hammock
    WBBB / ENO DN
    Tarp
    OES MacCat / H.Hex
    Insulation
    KAQ New River
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Images

Shug's video's invaluable

Although I've been trying my hand at hangin' for a little over a year, I'm constantly trying new things and tinkering with my setups. Whenever I can't figure things out, I've found Shug's videos to be a treasure-trove of valuable information. And whenever I need a good laugh, he's always come through.

I think it was in Tarp Rap-8... after jumbling what he was trying to say, he responded: "English speak me good ?"... That one always makes me chuckle...

"I'd rather be in the mountains thinking about God, than in church thinking about the mountains" - John Muir

Festus

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast