Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images

Boy do I have a lot to learn about winter camping!

Well, winter is making a brief visit to NJ tonight. It's 24 degrees outside, with a low of 14 expected. Winds are at 20 mph, gusting to 40 mph.

So what do I do? I decide to practice hanging the hammock and tarp in the back yard. This will be a great test for the NJ Winter Hang next month, thinks I.

The hammock went up easy enough. I was able to tie a marlin spike hitch in the tree huggers, and adjust the whoopies with mitts on.

The tarp, however, got out of control, whipping around in the wind. All the guylines got tangled and I had to take my gloves off to untangle.

By that time I was at the point of no return. If I didn't get the tarp secured the wind was going to shred it. So I tied the guy lines onto the stakes with the only knot my frozen fingers could manage: a marlin spike hitch.

I'm just thawing my fingers out now. Later I'm going to take some measurements and make some Tyvek Grizz Beaks since the wind is so wicked. If the Grizz beaks keep most of the wind out, I'll try sleeping in the hammock.

This is just the weather I've been looking for, but I could have done without the wind.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    mambajamba
    Insulation
    sleeping bag
    Suspension
    adjustable strap
    Wind is a multiplier when it comes outdoor activities, it will find your weakest link.
    I use tyvek under my pads and drape it over the hammock/under the tarp to keep the wind out.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Snakeskins on the tarp can really help to manage a tarp in those big winds)))))
    Keep on learning....winter is fun.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DIY bridge hammock
    Tarp
    OES/WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    WB Straps
    Images
    +1 on snake skins. That and choosing in which direction you point your tarp. I do understand that you might be limited by the number of trees in your yard. Video man, we need video!
    Syb
    Enjoy the elevation

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Keep on learning....winter is more fun in Texas.
    Shug
    Fixdit for ya.

Shug
    exactly why I've been wanting a set. Thinking about DIYing a set, seems easy enough. I like the idea of it keeping my ridgeline attatched and untangled and the ability to let each half out as you need so it doesn't get too unruly. One of those pieces of kit that once you have, you probably never go without.. guess I'll find out

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Shug
    Shug:

I had snakeskins on the tarp, but frankly, couldn't figure out how to use them to ease my pain. I couldn't really get to the guylines without fully retracting the snakeskins. Maybe there's a way I can stuff the tarp into the snakeskins so I can deploy one side at a time.

Mind you, this is a 10' x 10' Funky Forest Tarp - a somewhat unconventional tarp design which I hear is like the Kelty. I'm gonna have to keep practicing. I would rather encounter this crap in the back yard than be in the wilderness feeling inadequate and overwhelmed.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Syb View Post
    +1 on snake skins. That and choosing in which direction you point your tarp. I do understand that you might be limited by the number of trees in your yard. Video man, we need video!
    I wish I had the option in my back yard to angle my tarp in the direction I wanted, but no. And there is no way I'm filming video of me getting pistol whipped by a tarp in 40 mph winds. I have rope burns on my face from the ordeal. I think I'll call my tarp The Pit Bull - it is prone to unprovoked attacks on its owner.

Hammock
    Warbonnet El Dorado
    Tarp
    WL Tad Pole tarp
    Insulation
    Enlightened UQ
    I'm kind of nervous about having to hang a tarp in high wind. First of all there's the question of making sure the openings are not facing into the wind, which means being able to find the right trees...then, the whole process of getting it up in the wind seems nightmarish. In the Negev, I set up a tarp as a windblock on the ground most nights (since strong winds blow all night long there, in March at any rate) and that was hard enough...

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jbphilly View Post
    I'm kind of nervous about having to hang a tarp in high wind. First of all there's the question of making sure the openings are not facing into the wind, which means being able to find the right trees...then, the whole process of getting it up in the wind seems nightmarish.
    It was definitely nightmarish. Though I don't have the trees in my backyard to make sure the openings are not facing the wind, it doesn't really matter where I live because the winds don't come from one direction. My house is between a river on one side and the ocean on the other, and the winds come from all directions. One minute it's gusting from the north, and the next from the east. I think this is just the nature of coastal high winds.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast