Tarp
    Bonefire™ Shadow
    Insulation
    Bonefire™ UQ
    Suspension
    Bonefire™ Deluxe
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by exup View Post
    Fire in my bones, with my "future lines" I will just have a loop at end for the stake, when I want tensionsers, I will just larkshead the shockcord around the lines loop and stake out the tensioner. Same as my maccat standards lines, just not perminently attached.
    How long are your guylines? Will they still be made from dynaglyde? What do you feel the best length of bungee loop would be?

Quote Originally Posted by exup View Post
    ... isn't the laminate on both weights the same? If so if so, they should both tear the same, the .74 would just resist the severity of the tear...
    Same lamenate, higher dynema count (which is what is dyed and thus should have less transparency), right?
    -Jeremy "Brother Bones"
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    ...he's a mountain goat crossed with a marathoner.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl xlc
    Tarp
    HG cuben
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch bkls
    Not the same weights of cuben you're considering but the comparison is valuable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gfcuCh7h04

I'm definately in the camp of learning to execute a proper and elegant repair when it eventually does become damaged. Which is to say that after having some experience with the .51, I wouldn't take the 50% weight penalty to go to the .74

David

Hammock
    Traveler 1.1 sl/WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/Standard
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Dynaglide whoopies
    Images
    The decision on guylines has been difficult. I've been back and forth between, 1.2 techline with prussics, which may be difficult to adjust because how thin they are but was reported to work by Rip Waverly, and 1.25 zline with mini linelocs. The zline would weigh more and I prefer braided over sheathed line, but after seeing Lukestegs 1.25 with mini linelocs hold up to 50mph gusts, it has me questioning my preference toward the techline. Also the techline may be braid but the possibility of it being spliced seems not worth the attempt.

Current idea of length is 3' for two of the side tie outs and all of the door tie outs. 6' for the other two side tie outs (for porch mode and pitching on hill sides) 8' for each ridgeline tie out. I'm really not sure for the pannel pulls, but I'm thinking one 8' line connecting both tie outs to a single 4' line may be a possibility. Keep in mind this is my imagineative comfort lengths. I will try it and also make up extensions to carry to unknown spots. I've previously use 5' ties on my maccat standard and 3' lines on my superfly.

For tensioners I'd say use a length of shock cord that can stretch 100% of its length. Example: 4" may only stretch to 6" but 7" may stretch to 12". I really don't think its a big deal with cuben. Any give will be helpful and they're obviously not needed for tarp stretch like sil, just to absorb the shock. With sil, I pull my tensioners tight to thake the stretch that occurs over time. With cuben not stretching, I'd barely pull the tensioners tight so they can absorb the shock.

Bannerstone, I'm with ya on not giving up 50% weight reduction for the sake of strength. If the lamenent is all the same, I figure, what's the difference in a 1" tear and a 3" tear. They both need repaired. I'd love to see WV chime in.

Sorry for typing so much. Again, I am FAR from an expert with cuben. Just a guy who's done little research, only used cuben once so far, not enough time to use, and obviously way to much time to think. Ill end this with, depsite cuben still being somewhat new to our community, I trust Adam and Joe at zpacks in making their tarps with .51. If its good enough for them, its good enough for me to atleast give it a shot.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123