Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Images

poncho as shelter

Hi I am quite new here so i am not sure where to post this but tips and tricks sounds like a good place so forgive me if i post it wrongly.

It was raining quite heavy here in Singapore and while I was out, I notice a few people wearing poncho. I myself use it a few times as a rain cover or as a shelter then I though of a question...

If you use a poncho as a shelter, and you are wearing it during a heavy rain with strong wind, how do you set it up without you or your equipments getting wet?

I do not know if this has been asked before if it has could someone direct me to the thread

thanks!

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I think it's just one of those prices you pay for going minimalist. I saw a few folks that carried thin walled trash bags to put their pack into while setting-up. Not my cup of tea, but they seemed to work around the problem OK.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    CLARK NX-200 / Clark NA /Warbonnet
    Tarp
    CLARK NX-200 TARP
    Insulation
    PAD and BAG
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by darkhawk424 View Post
    Hi I am quite new here so i am not sure where to post this but tips and tricks sounds like a good place so forgive me if i post it wrongly.

It was raining quite heavy here in Singapore and while I was out, I notice a few people wearing poncho. I myself use it a few times as a rain cover or as a shelter then I though of a question...

If you use a poncho as a shelter, and you are wearing it during a heavy rain with strong wind, how do you set it up without you or your equipments getting wet?

I do not know if this has been asked before if it has could someone direct me to the thread

thanks!

There is a thread here some where not sure where maybe one of the others will remember where it's at

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cavediver2 View Post
    There is a thread here some where not sure where maybe one of the others will remember where it's at
    Here's one.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    HHBP or Expr summer, diyMutts other
    Tarp
    HH Explr or HH Hex
    Insulation
    IXUQ+NeoAr
    Suspension
    Rings+Static line
    Darkhawk--
    I learned a minimalist approach to long distance mtn packing in the early 60's and the shelter, pack cover and poncho was a ww2 poncho.

Cowboys sometimes camped like this.

Here's one deal:
    1. Scape some dry leaves together on an enlongated pile.
    2. Your pack (preferably a pre ww2 mtn troup canvas pack) goes at the head end of the pile and usually can be made to stand up.
    3. Crawl in you DIY wool blanket-made-into-a-mummy-shape-faux-sleeping bag with buttons.
    4. Tuck the poncho under the foot and along the sides and from underneath continue and eventually cover and tuck under the pack.... breathing room is provided where the poncho goes up and over the pack.
    5. Enjoy the rain.

Another deal:
    1. Pretend you are a line of tobacco on cigarette paper and the poncho is the paper.
    2. Roll.

Please note that I NEVER SAID you would'nt get damp or even wet this way ... God knows I did sometimes.

During the summer I worked as a ranger in Sequoia Nat Park I 'helped' 2 guys, on separate occasions, who were above 10,000 ft and unsuccessfully trying to make shelter in wind-sleet-rain with ponchos. Another time a guy was trying something funky with 2 garbage bags.
    "There's no accounting for other people's taste in love, fiction and huntin' dogs." ---Mark Twain

Hammock
    HH ULBP or Claytor Exp
    Tarp
    Big Claytor
    Insulation
    CCF
    Suspension
    rings & things
    Too minimalist for me but here is a youtube that shows several ways to use a poncho as a tarp/tent.

Last edited by angrysparrow; 08-27-2008 at 16:41. Reason: embedded video

Images
    Thanks for the replys!

Quote Originally Posted by riverkeeper View Post
    Darkhawk--
    I learned a minimalist approach to long distance mtn packing in the early 60's and the shelter, pack cover and poncho was a ww2 poncho.

Cowboys sometimes camped like this.

Here's one deal:
    1. Scape some dry leaves together on an enlongated pile.
    2. Your pack (preferably a pre ww2 mtn troup canvas pack) goes at the head end of the pile and usually can be made to stand up.
    3. Crawl in you DIY wool blanket-made-into-a-mummy-shape-faux-sleeping bag with buttons.
    4. Tuck the poncho under the foot and along the sides and from underneath continue and eventually cover and tuck under the pack.... breathing room is provided where the poncho goes up and over the pack.
    5. Enjoy the rain.

Another deal:
    1. Pretend you are a line of tobacco on cigarette paper and the poncho is the paper.
    2. Roll.

Please note that I NEVER SAID you would'nt get damp or even wet this way ... God knows I did sometimes.

During the summer I worked as a ranger in Sequoia Nat Park I 'helped' 2 guys, on separate occasions, who were above 10,000 ft and unsuccessfully trying to make shelter in wind-sleet-rain with ponchos. Another time a guy was trying something funky with 2 garbage bags.
    LOL... ROLL sounds like the bear will have a free wrap tortilla for dinner. What about your bags? Put it aside with plastic bags over it? Thanks

Memphis thanks for the link saw it once. But when it get turn over to put the poles, rain will be falling in wont it? Unless he does it under the poncho... And there is also the thing about the wind, the poncho tent looks like a big parachute...

Hammock
    Dream Hammock ThunderBird
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben 7X9
    Insulation
    JRBSierraSniveller
    Suspension
    ring buckle system
    Images
    I've hiked with a poncho as tarp, they tend to be too small to cover a hammock. But when I did, if it was raining, I'd carry the tarp lines in my pocket, or where I could get to them with my pack on. I'd attach one corner to a tree, then the second, opposing corner to a tree and remove my pack under the tarp. Then I'd stake out the other two corners. Not perfect, but kept most of the rain off me.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bear bag hanger View Post
    I've hiked with a poncho as tarp, they tend to be too small to cover a hammock. But when I did, if it was raining, I'd carry the tarp lines in my pocket, or where I could get to them with my pack on. I'd attach one corner to a tree, then the second, opposing corner to a tree and remove my pack under the tarp. Then I'd stake out the other two corners. Not perfect, but kept most of the rain off me.
    hmmm... It means you will get a lean to right? Might work but need to see where the wind direction is right?

not a lean to, an asymmetric diamond. the opposite corners tie to the trees.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast