Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Any reason not to order the wide burrow?

So after talking to a fellow hf'er--- he said that he got is burrow wider so that if he has to go to the ground-- will be easier to keep it around him and help from getting gold---- makes sense.. So since my blackfriday order hasnt been made yet-- i thought id make my burrow wider.. Any reason you guys can think not to? Would it effect how the burrow surrounds you in the hammock? or would it just come around the same way as the normal sized version?

Hammock
    DIY Table Cloth/ Jerry 5
    Tarp
    11x12' Hex Sil
    Insulation
    Various UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing or Etrunks
    Images
    I have a wide burrow and it works the same as a regular one in the hammock near as i can tell. Only drawback for me is the higher weight of the additional fabric and down. I use my burrow for all of my backpacking hammock or tent and with my pad the width realy seems to make a difference to me, a bigger guy (46 jacket).

I have a regular and have used it multiple nights on the ground and though it was perfectly comfortable, I did have to be aware when rolling side to side. Having a wider TQ I wouldn't have to fiddle probably at all.

I will tell you though, if you sleep on your stomach ont he ground, it wont matter since raising your arms up with put the TQ above your arm-line anyways, if that makes any sense.

Can you tel lI've been at work for 15 hours?

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Depends on your heft. My heft is long/wide (48L+) so the wide long Burrow was ordered after attempting to use a regular sized one. Works well for me but then my motorcycle makes counting grams silly.

P.S.
    I prolly will end up with a custom wide Incubator to replace the regular one too. While regular my sized Burrow and Incubator will work...I want extreme comfort not just what works. I'll cut packed size and weight somewhere else for a good nights sleep and snuggling into custom wide/long HG 900 fill Hungarian down stuff is as nice as it gets.

Law.. I hear ya -- I feel the same way.. I weigh 220(ish lol) --- so whats a few extra ounces on my back? Nada... I thought about going a bit wider on my incubator but after talking to Adam -- he thought it just was not needed for me.. And if you go to much wider it starts to mess with tie outs on the hammock.. I did add about 6 inches in length just to make sure the uq didnt slide up and make my feet cold.. Insurance against those 3am cfs nights lol..

After hearing from you and packeagle and slo--- wide seems like a good way to go on my burrow..

So here will be my hammock gear setup
    burrow- long/wide/sewn end/green top/7d inner against body
    incubator 20*-- 82" long/7d fabric..

Should be well setup.. I didnt go overfill on either piece cause Adam thought the temp rating was conservative as is and id be MORE then warm enough without it..

Not sure how much longer it will be-- hopefully soon.. Ordered on black friday.. Starting to get itchy lol..

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.0dbl
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben w/door
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    The Force
    We need to slim down. Our sizes in this country are getting obscene. Sorry I'm not picking on anyone I just think at some point we need to draw a line in the sand.
    Bat
    Beginning my NOBO trip on the AT on 2/28/12.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Bat View Post
    We need to slim down. Our sizes in this country are getting obscene. Sorry I'm not picking on anyone I just think at some point we need to draw a line in the sand.
    I agree; however, it's easier said than done. Start with un-SuperSizing food with fastfood. But that's it's own problem, because people don't feel that they got their money's worth...

As far as the burrow, I'd think that with the extra material, it would drape down better. In a hammock, the UQ sides come up and the TQ goes across. If used on the ground, your chest or shoulder would be the high spot and it would drape down to the ground from there.

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    12' Winter Shelter
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bat View Post
    And what would you do after drawing your line, attack them, arrest them?

Besides being a complete hijack of a thread, it really is a very insensitive and inappropriate comment to make.
    We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. - Ben Franklin
    (known as a win-win on this forum)

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    If you split you camping between both hammock and tent (dessert hiking), then I would go for the wide. Of course, I'm assuming you hike, not car camp. Otherwise, don't carry any extra weight for fear of the possibility that eventually your suspension might break and leave you on the ground.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images

And you get a bit of extra range

If with wider you get more down, too, then fold the quilt, barely, pinch the sides between fingers of both hands spread apart, and shake gently.

You've now shifted some of the down from the edges you will tuck in to the middle of the TQ which will rise on top of you. The TQ will loft a little higher and be a bit more resistant to heat loss, extending the range.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast