DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images

Checking for Interest in a Houston Hang.

Mentioned here about the possibility of a Houston Area Hang to help out the noobs (including myslef) figure all this out, and checking for interest and possible dates and suggested sites.

I propose to call this HHHNGNGHHH (Pronounced HHHHNG-NGHHH) or "Houston Hangers Helping New Guys N Gals Hang Happily Hang."

OK. So I'm neither a poet or a publicist.

I'm most familiar with Brazos Bend, and would suggest it as best suited for this kind of thing. It is a relatively small park but it has about 30 miles of trails, is easily accessible, has one camping area that's pretty secluded, and is close enough to a pizza place that one can wimp out if one wants to.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/publicat...4504_0110w.pdf

I've called the park and they say that hanging is allowed in the park, and the ranger seemed enthusiastic about it. There are two primitive camping areas, and two entrances to the park. The most remote primitive site is in the Equestrian trail part of the park up in the northeast corner. Another pri itve area is in the Red Buckey camp loop:

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/publicat...p4504_110l.pdf

We would be allowed to park at either of the sites and hike to one of the others, or in one of the large parking areas in the park.

My suggestion would be to park and meet at one of the larger lots and hie to the Equestrian area for an overnight and some instruction/familiarization/point and laugh sessions for the noobs (like me). We could shuttle and stage some cars in the camping area for supplies/comfort/geez I need the tent because I screwed up kind of thing.

The Equestrian site has 19 campsites with 8 people and two cars per site max. If we have somewhere around 30 people, we can reserve the whole thing with a month's notice. Cost is $12.00 per night with a $7 per day per vehicle entrance fee.

Whaddaya think?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    GoLiteTQ/3SPhoenix
    Suspension
    DG whoopies + MSH
    Images
    I'm interested but would have to do it mid-February or after March when the Houston Rodeo is done.

Hammock
    Freebird, HHExUL w/zip mod
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Interested here. I'll be watching for dates and commit if my schedule permits.

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Mid-March fits my sched and gives time for more to sign up. The campsites are first come-first serve unless we get enough to reserve the entire area. He said on the phone that it would take around 30 people, but I bet if we had a dozen we'd be OK.

Looking at the calendar, I see weekends available for the 10th, 17th, & 24th of March. At least one of those is going to be Spring Break. While that may work out better for some folks, and enable others to bring thier kids, we'd need to make sure we've got enough to reserve the site b/c I imagine there's going to be some competition to get one during Spring Break.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    I'm interested and will be watching for a settled date. Just keep in mind that many of us from Tx will be at the Arkansas hang March 9th - 11th.

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I'm interested and will be watching for a settled date. Just keep in mind that many of us from Tx will be at the Arkansas hang March 9th - 11th.
    IMO, that argues for the 24th. Gives time for guys who went to AR two weeks to gather up husband points for permission to go on the 24th.

Any opinions on a Friday night arrival vs Satruday AM? I can see where some of the real local locals (like me) could show up Friday PM and set things up.

What about remote parking and hiking in vs car base camp and loop hiking?

Two campgrounds with each group hiking towards each other, meet in the middle, go to switchblades and zip guns, and the survivors split up the gear?

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Is Texasgrrrlll out there?

She said she was going to Brazos Bend the weekend of the Caddo Lake Hang. Mebbe we canb convince her to swing by one or both of those primitve sites and give us a report, maybe some pics. Last time I camped in a primitive site at BB, they were in a totally different place.

Hammock
    BB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    MacCat SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Images
    I'm interested. I'll do my best to make it.
    "Once you start down the Dark Path, forever will it dominate your destiny." - Yoda

Hungry Hammock Hanger Website

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    OK---that's 5.

Quote Originally Posted by sargevining View Post
    Is Texasgrrrlll out there?

She said she was going to Brazos Bend the weekend of the Caddo Lake Hang. Mebbe we canb convince her to swing by one or both of those primitve sites and give us a report, maybe some pics. Last time I camped in a primitive site at BB, they were in a totally different place.
    My Brazos Bend trip was cancelled. Instead I'll be camping in central Texas. I plan to hang my hammock but just to practice the rigging. I will probably sleep in my tent since I don't have adequate insulation for the hammock yet.

I am very interested in a Houston-area hang. The only March weekend in which I already have plans is March 9-11th. The other weekends are free.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast