Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Exped Down Pad
    Suspension
    JRB's TriGlides
    Images

Question Warbonnet Blackbird DBL Hammock: Inflatable Pad Use

Is there anyone out there who is using a Warbonnet Blackbird double hammock with a DAM (Exped Down Air Matteress) in the lower pocket?

I have a couple-of-year- old EXPED deluxe (if memory serves me well, this one is a little longer and wider than some of the other models), which inflates via the storage sack ---versus the newer ones that use a foot pad--- and wondered how well it would fit into the Blackbird's pocket.

I was also wondering if the use of the DAM reduced and/or eliminated the need for an underquilt?

Would love to hear how it has worked for you!

Please, let me know.

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Suspension
    NCAA
    I have the hammock but not the pad. I imagine if you didn't inflate it all the way, it would work just fine. That's what this hammock was built for, sliding in a pad. You can get by without an underquilt. Totally fine. Just a different, slightly more cumbersome method of insulation is all it is.

Senior Member ringtail-THFKAfood's Avatar
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

not exactly

I have a Stephenson DAM that I have used in a BlackBird. My original DAM is 80" long and 28" wide. 80" is too long to be practical in a hammock.

I ordered a second DAM that is still 28" wide but only 54" long. It works great except I just lay it in the hammock and do not put it in the pocket.

I use the 54" DAM in lieu of an UQ. The Exped has an R value of 8. I suspect the Stephenson is even higher.

A UQ is more comfortable than a DAM. A DAM at first can seem a little tippy.

I use the DAM only when I plan to go to the ground but want the option of hanging.
    Last edited by ringtail-THFKAfood; 01-04-2012 at 19:02.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    - Mark Twain

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7Dbl,
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    UGQ, Burrows
    Suspension
    Webbing/buckles
    I used a SAM (synthetic) in my 1.7double last fall and had mixed results. First night I used the pocket on the BB and found it hard to keep the pad under me throughout the night. It was hard to adjust the pad.

The next night I laid my extra bag in the BB, put the pad in, inflated to about 60% and used my other bag as a top quilt. This worked much better. The pad was easier to stay on and adjust.

This being said I am buying an under quilt an leaving the pad at home next time.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    I've used my Exped DAM 9 Deluxe in my Blackbird. No problem. I think it's quite comfortable in a hammock. I usually don't bother putting it between the layers. Just shove it in there. I used it down to 9 degree without an underquilt, but got CBS at that temp. I'm a cold sleeper though.

It does put you up higher in the hammock and closer to the netting.

I usually don't take it backpacking because it's heavy. But as been said previously, if you think you are going to ground, it's nice to have.

Also, I was having shoulder pain this past year -- nothing to do with hammocking. But I found I was more comfortable in the hammock with the Exped because it held the hammock out wider so I got no shoulder squeeze at all.
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    WB Lynx
    Suspension
    Adj. Webbing
    I tried my BA IAC XL in the hammock with some air out and it was ok, I found it a bit awkward compared to UQ, I also have the exped dm dlx and will most likely play around with bothI tried the BA in the sleeve and just in the hammock and the hammock seemed to be easier due to the size of the pad. I do find the underquilt much more comfortable, but like others it is nice to have the option if you need to go to the ground.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    GoLiteTQ/3SPhoenix
    Suspension
    DG whoopies + MSH
    Images
    I've tried both a short (20" x 48") REI Lite-Core 1.5 and a half inflated 20" x 72" Big Agnes Air Core. I had mixed results with both. The BA moved around way too much and wanted to poke out the side between the layers. The Lite-Core has some grip stuff on it and stayed in place better, but wasn't warm enough (granted, it got down to about 35* that night).

I finally decided to test out the $5 1/2 inch CCF pads from Walmart when I stopped there last time and tried it out for the first time last night. It got down to 50* and I stayed toasty. I think it might be my go to fall/spring (aka Houston winter) pad instead of the Lite-Core, but I'll have to test it on lower temps.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    WB Lynx
    Suspension
    Adj. Webbing
    For warmer tents I use a 3/4 ridgerest and it works great for temps in the 45-50 range, and it is not awkward in the footbox area.

Hammock
    WBBB 2layer
    Tarp
    DD 9x9
    Insulation
    HG 0* Burrow
    Suspension
    Woooooooooopies
    I too have had trouble using inflatables in the hammock, you have to have it juuuuuust right. UQ is the way to go!

• + New Posts