Thread: Homemade UQ

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe
    Insulation
    LeighLo UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies n toggles

Homemade UQ

I've got a twin size down comforter that would make a pretty good UQ, wouldn't it? Wonderin if anyone has made a homemade one?

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Maybe something like this but the comforter instead of a poncho.....http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=18539
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    bump...any other ideas out there?

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.0
    Tarp
    WBBMJ
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, HG Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Initially, I wouldnt see a problem in theory. Just some things I'd consider:

• What is the shell material? If it's cotton, it will absorb moisture. You may want to sheild it with an UQP of some sort. I would also think it will absorb funk and body odor more readily (remember, it's designed to go on a clean bed, not a hammock after a day of hiking)
    • Is it baffled, or sewn through?
    • Obviously, theres no way to tell the FP with any certainty, but how compressible is it? Take a larger stuff sack, and see how much of the quilt you can cram in. Remember, you'll have to carry it with you, and if it won't fit in your pack, you'll have to think of a way to reduce its stuffed size.
    • You'll have to figure out a way to suspend it. Either sew some channels on, attach loops at the corners, or a combination of both.

In my opinion, if you have no intention of using it on a bed, I say go for it. Toss around some ideas for rigging it up on the forum here, and I think you'll get tons of suggestions (similar to shug's PLQ suggestion).

I would determine the desired width and sew two seams, just inside and outside my cut line to seal off the chambers. Cut right between these two stitch lines (you'll lose a tiny bit of down, and a tiny bit of down turns into a snowstorm quickly...do this outside or in one of those useless "tent" things). The core of your UQ is done. You can then either sew grosgrain channels to all four edges, or attach it via the ends only (this will take more "fiddling" to get the suspension right). Thread some shock cord through these channels, throw a couple of mini or s-biners on, and voila, you have a hillbilly UQ that as long as it keeps you warm, is just as functional as the "real thing", if not as aesthetically pleasing.

Grab a yard or two of cheap ripstop or other synthetic, water resistant material, seal the edges if needed, and use binder clips or clothespins to attach it to the outside of your quilt, and you now have an underquilt protector (UQP) that will cut down on heat loss from wind and protect it from splashes or blowing rain.

Alternativley, send me the quilt, and I will fab something up and test it out for a few years and let you know
    Mike, Backcountry Mentor
    https://backcountrymentor.com
    Check me out on YouTube!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuhqpe2xIWBXRVtpB5dxAJA

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    When making a flat blanket-like object into an UQ there are two things to think of.

1) How to get it to conform to the hammock?

To do this you can simply implant something stretchy into the inside of the width edges. This will all the quilt to conform to your hammock when you lay in it. It's essential to get a nice seal to keep the warmth in. When I made my DIY UQ the first thing I noticed was that the ends were floppy allowing a draft to seep in under my back. I simply inserted an elastic band, which you can buy at Joann's, into the seams on the widths.

2) How will you hang it?

I ran shock cord through the width after creating a channel by rolling a seam. It's a pretty easy deal.

Yeh, I have a 3 season sleeping bag with a bust zip that is destined to become an uq

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    HH A-sym snake skins, hex tarp
    Tarp
    General's Custom
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear 3/4
    Suspension
    tree hugger
    Images
    Brutus -- I opened up an old comforter to see if I could re use the down in a new project and discovered the bed versions are full of poor quality duck and very little down - there's no concern for the weight - in fact in England most comforters were very heavy at the turn of the century... Today's modern down has very little in feathers, and premium light weight to trapping of air. Instead I had one of the guys here make me a custom 3/4 after this discovery.
    There was an Old Man with a owl,
    Who continued to bother and howl;
    He sat on a rail, And imbibed bitter ale,
    Which refreshed that Old Man and his owl
    .WOO

• + New Posts