Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Hammock
    DIY 1.3 Ripstop Nylon
    Tarp
    DIY 8x10 Silnylon
    Insulation
    ccfPAD WM Highlite
    I guess I'm turning this into a full on "what does my suspension need to be" thread.
    With that in mind, is there anything lighter than the tri-glides that I can use. And what is this I read about a "sharp edge" on the tri-glides causing some damage to the straps? If the tri glides are still a viable option, and there isn't anything lighter, I'm thinking about using the setup in the pic on this post (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/51581-post51.html), but i couldn't get the link to work.
    Last edited by dufus934; 05-23-2008 at 16:13. Reason: can't get it to link right
    God Bless,
    Kyle
    [email protected]

"Fearless warriors in a picket fence, reckless abandon wrapped in common sense
    Deep water faith in the shallow end and we are caught in the middle
    With eyes wide open to the differences, the God we want and the God who is
    But will we trade our dreams for His or are we caught in the middle" - Casting Crowns

Images
    if you want to use the triglides, you have to use an all webbing setup as the triglides adjust webbing not line, using tree straps and amsteel blue will be less than half the weight of an all webbing setup using triglides. you could add 2 biners and 2 line adjusters and still be half the weight of webbing and triglides. if you go with line and tree straps you would need to adjust the line rather than the webbing. options are fig 9 like you mentioned before, make your own device, tie to a lightweight welded ring (i've been using a 5/8-3/4" diameter welded ring lately, they weigh 4g each, i use one on each strap and tie a double slipped single half hitch which is very quick to tie and untie. you can also tie directly to the the sewn loop of the tree strap with a double slipped single sheetbend, which is also very fast. both these knots come untied with a yank on the free end. another option is to permanently tie the line to the tree strap and make adjustments at the hammock like with cc buckles. this requires a short section of line or webbing (maybe a foot) coming off the end of the hammock that you would tie the line to or where you would attach your ring/device.

Quote Originally Posted by dufus934 View Post
    I guess I'm turning this into a full on "what does my suspension need to be" thread.
    With that in mind, is there anything lighter than the tri-glides that I can use. And what is this I read about a "sharp edge" on the tri-glides causing some damage to the straps? If the tri glides are still a viable option, and there isn't anything lighter, I'm thinking about using the setup in the pic on this post (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/51581-post51.html), but i couldn't get the link to work.
    Last edited by warbonnetguy; 05-23-2008 at 16:28.

Hammock
    DIY 1.3 Ripstop Nylon
    Tarp
    DIY 8x10 Silnylon
    Insulation
    ccfPAD WM Highlite
    so would my easiest and lightest option be using rings with a prasik (sp?) knot at on end, and straps going through the other side of the rings?
    God Bless,
    Kyle
    [email protected]

But will we trade our dreams for His or are we caught in the middle" - Casting Crowns

Images
    you can't really use a prussic knot for the suspension, it won't work very well. you definatley don't want to do that.

easiest and lightest don't go together, otherwise everyone would have the same setup. using webbing only with cc buckles is probably the easiest. you could permanently attach the line to the tree strap and use a homemade lightweight device attached to the end of your hammock in place of the cc buckles (line adjuster). this is the closest you can get to easiest and lightest, basically you are just replacing all but 5-6 feet of webbing with much lighter line and replacing the heavy cc buckles with a lighter line adjuster, the lightest option would be line and straps adjusted with a knot.

another light method i mentioned above is basically a tree strap (5-6 foot piece of webbing with a sewn loop in each end), and possibly a single ring/or device in one of those sewn loops if you want. girth hitch the tree strap around the tree at the appropriate height and then tie the line coming from your hammock to the end of the strap, ring, or device.

Hammock
    DIY 1.3 Ripstop Nylon
    Tarp
    DIY 8x10 Silnylon
    Insulation
    ccfPAD WM Highlite
    sorry, I miss spoke. I thought this setup had a prusik knot in it. But I think I'm going to try this setup, but try to find some rings lighter than .1 lb per ring. I'll also replace the caribiner with another loop in the other end of the strap.
    God Bless,
    Kyle
    [email protected]

Images
    i believe that setup has another loop in the end of the strap, the biner is clipped to the webbing through that loop. if you want easiest, you might want to consider the biners, otherwise you have to thread the webbing through itself everytime to girth hitch the tree and you also have to thread the rings everytime.

Hammock
    DIY 1.3 Ripstop Nylon
    Tarp
    DIY 8x10 Silnylon
    Insulation
    ccfPAD WM Highlite
    light wins out over easy with me. as long as the loops will work then the weight savings is worth the little bit of extra work.
    God Bless,
    Kyle
    [email protected]

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dufus934 View Post
    light wins out over easy with me. as long as the loops will work then the weight savings is worth the little bit of extra work.
    then why not go with line and straps and save alot of weight?

Hammock
    WL Night Owl
    Tarp
    WL Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    Quilts + Body Fat
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    If weight is paramount, just go with line and tree straps and learn to tie good knots. People use hardware to minimize or, in some cases, eliminate knot tying. You don't NEED any hardware at all and you'll save the most weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Tobit View Post
    If weight is paramount, just go with line and tree straps and learn to tie good knots.
    I use http://www.Strapworks.com straps with 'biners and cinch buckles for my hammock. Simple and quick.

Quote Originally Posted by Tobit View Post
    People use hardware to minimize or, in some cases, eliminate knot tying. You don't NEED any hardware at all and you'll save the most weight.
    Agreed. Learn some knots. One of the easiest and most useful is the two half-hitch which is easy, reliable, and easy to remove. I use this to tie my tarp and to attach bug netting to my ridgeline.

I will admit that I bought everything before even receiving the hammock. This has definitely helped me arrive quickly into hammocking.
    Splat

"Well, it's one louder, isn't it?"

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast