Tarp
    Kelty
    Insulation
    Body Fat
    Suspension
    Mule's Special
    Images

COmplete Change over???

I was off work for a week, and had some time to think over some things during the holiday season. Here is what I am thinking...

1. I am omitting the sleeping bag and going to make an underquilt, and over quilt....Research here i come.
    2. I am losing the gas stove and going to an alcohol type stove....
    3. my average pack for a 3 night event is typically 40 pounds, I'm getting old, and dont wanna carry the weight...I want to reduce my weight by at least 15 pounds, more if i can.
    4. I want to learn to perfect the ridge line....
    5. Now...I need everyone's help...

I got some cash for Christmas, and it's burning a hole in the pocket....

thanks

Jerry the Hiker..
    The only Easy day was yesterday.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Sounds like you're on the right track! I am heading toward the back side of 40 my self, and the days of the 50 pound pack are long past! I did pretty much every thing you mentioned on your list of things to do----at present even for a 3 day trip, very nicely equip t with a few luxury's I am just a hair over 20 lbs. (and there is room for improvment !) Start with a decent hammock and tarp, ditch the sleeping bag, geta TQ, use an alcohol stove etc etc---and you will be on your way! Just as an example, I used to use a very nice, but heavy lowe alpine internal frame pack--6 lbs empty. Now, my silnylon pack is around a pound, and even adding hammock, tarp, tq and uq, I am lighter than my old pack was empty! It kind of build on itself-----the lighter your load, the lighter pack you can use, the more miles you can hike, the better you feel on the trail etc! It kind of changes the way you think too----------I used to love going to REI in Atlanta, but since Ive started going lighter, and making my own gear, its just ok. Just remember, its a process---and a work in progress! (also, you can make a great stove your self---I'd spend my money on a good TQ/UQ!)
    Last edited by stevebo; 01-05-2012 at 21:29.
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL Lefty
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 4S
    Insulation
    HG Incu-Burrow
    Suspension
    War Buckle
    Images
    Hey Jerry,

1. There is a lot of info out there for the UQ, do you have any sewing experience? Or maybe a wife that does?

2. I might be able to help you out with a stove lightweight and boils 2 cups in 5 min., shoot me a pm.

3. 15# weight loss can be expensive even worse you may have to leave wine behind

4. ridgeline is easy just takes a lot of hangin around experimenting with length, 83% of hammock length is a good starting point.

5. Hope this was of some help!

Hammock
    Hennessy UL Explorer (2QZQ Mod #4)
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Baby Orca & NoSniv
    Suspension
    Whoopie & biner
    Images
    Love to help you... it usually is a long and/or expensive way to cut down on weight.

I HAVE NO NEEDLE THREAD INJECTING skills here, I tried believe me... just enough to make my own tree huggers or do a quick and dirty repair with dental floss. So can't help you here

Did make a lot of DIY alcy/wood stoves though. Plenty of good tutorials on Youtube, personally I like the Supercat, weighs 6 gram (eeh.....0.25 oz?) boils half a liter (2 cups iirc) on 1 0z of fuel (aprrox. 30 ml) and no separate pot stand needed.

For longer then 3 days and not really cooking you might wanna keep the gas stove, it could win out weight wise. I know my Jetboil wins from a weight and fuel consumption point of view after three days with my style of cooking. (Or just use a fire when allowed)

Perfect ridge line.... well trial and error.... Try it, e.g. at 83% as stated,write it down and how comfy you were, try something else, repeat process and pick YOUR best night -) Easily done INDOORS so wind and temperature do not influence the comfort level, just the sag/length of the ridge line.

For more tips on cutting down weight I might help if you let us know what you carry now and what it weighs....

Long time ago I started with a spreadsheet, listed everything, weighed it. Then started out sorting it on weight, (dual) purpose and slowly replaced when possible/wanted... it remains a Work in Progress...like a new Cuben tarp on the wi$h li$t......

Grtz Johan
    My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplaces of existence.

mob: +31 6 44 80 82 63

http://www.dutchunlimited.com
    http://dutchunlimited.com/english/

My YouTube

Hammock
    Eno DL, Deep Jungle XL, Kammock Roo
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ quilts!!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies and web
    as most people have stated, it can get expensive. heres my BIY (buy it yourself) list of what id do with the same problems:

get a hold of Marty at Wilderness Logics for a UQ/TQ. Just about any vendors here are good, I just have a good bit of experience with Marty.

Check with NKoutdoors or places like JRB orArrowhead and pick up an adjustable ridgeline

Get or make a Coke can stove, but if you dont mind the weight get a trangia, you cant kill it. I have one and wont give it up to save my life.
    Give a man fire and he's warm for the night.
    Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life. Dante

Hammock
    1.9oz DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    DIY UCR
    Have been on the same quest myself. Still pretty new so have no recomendations of gear and what not.
    Best thing i did was make DETAILED list...showed me the things i was carrying but not really using and some stuff that has multiple uses.
    As for cooking, we have decided to go the freezer bag cooking route. All we need is the ability to bring water to close to a boil. As mentioned earlier the "Super cat" stove is great, i also like the penny stove and when paired with the penny wood stove as wind screen/pot stand you have a nice compact system.

Good luck and looking forward to more posts and more ideas on weight savings!

Hammock
    All of them.
    Tarp
    OES 4 Season,Cuben
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I've been working on getting my pack weight down over the last couple of years. Here are some of the things that worked for me that didn't cost much.

Buy a smaller pack. In my opinion, nothing will lower you pack weight more than a smaller pack, because as everyone knows, if you have the space to carry it, you'll be tempted. (plus you can easily lose 2 pounds or more with a lighter pack.)

Decide: Do I NEED this gear, or do I WANT this gear. Like: do I need this plate and cup or can I eat out of my pan? Do I need this camp chair?

Ditched my heavy, noisy, smelly gas stove for a pop can alcohol stove. Weighs less than an ounce and is totally clean and quiet. If you don't want to make one on your own, they can be bought on the Internet for under $20.

Ditch my water filter for Aqua Mira in small dropper bottles.

Stop putting everything in bags and cases. One large pack liner does the trick for everything except my sleeping bag (which gets a stuff sack).

Ounces add up to pounds. Change out your Nalgene bottles for two Gatorade bottles and save 3-4 ounces.

Other changes like lighter sleeping and shelter solutions will be more expensive, but I'll bet you can drop about 10 pounds using these ideas (I did).

Peace,
    David

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Wow...this is all helping me too. I have too many things that I "like" but not necessarily what I have to have.

my backpack was a very cool pack but it weighed a ton. then everything comes in a case with a huge strap and giant plastic buckles. i am trying to go to a ultra light pack but it is so painful tossing 3 expensive backpacks...!

i am still trying to get whoopie's going but it seems that all the amsteel dealers never have any inventory? some of these newer materials are a pain to find locally.

i have dropped my nalgeen type water bottles and go with propel energy drink plastic empties. same for my cooking pot. going with empty aluminum food cans.

there are several good videos on youtube about cheap UL but the problem is you look at the stuff in these guys packs and it looks like garbage...literally garbage!(works great but looks like a street person!) all my heavy store bought stuff had a brand/logo and cool status advertising....!

Hammock
    Home Made from Acer
    Tarp
    Kelty
    Insulation
    Body Fat
    Suspension
    Mule's Special
    Images
    sofar so good..THanks for the great comments.....BUT i have another delima....

See the new post...

Jerry
    The only Easy day was yesterday.

• + New Posts