Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    GearGuide 12x12
    Insulation
    Crappy Blue Pad

Webbing Slippage (normal?)

First and foremost, let me apologize in advance as I'm going to royally screw up some terms that are probably 2nd nature to you all and even if I continue to hear these terms for 20 years to come, I will probably still address them in my own language - as anyone who has known me for some time can attest.

So, on with my question.
    I have an ENO doublenest and like 12 foot or so of webbing (my hubby did all the research from this here board, so I know he got the good info!). It's not the stretchy webbing, it's the good stuff (I can't remember what stretches, nylon?)

Anyway, we hung the hammock up using the webbing and 3 rings. One daddy ring (the big one) which is attached to one end of our webbing and two babies (a tad smaller). After we wrapped the webbing around the tree we ran it through the daddy ring and pulled tight. Then the long dangling end of the webbing went through the hookthingy on the hammock and back through the two baby rings.

The two baby rings and the webbing were threaded like a belt so it pulled tight. Hubby make a slipknot above the rings and everything holds fine.

Here's the problem/question:
    If we don't put the slipknot, it slides and will drop me on my butt. Is this normal? Shouldn't the two rings grip the webbing enough (like a belt) to keep it in place even without the knot? Shouldn't the knot just be for added security?

I'm sorry for my real lack of terminology, my hubby probably should have posted but I'm at work and really kind of wanted to know. So if you can remotely understand what I'm saying, I'd greatly appreciate any advice. (or I'll just bug those of you going to the hang out in hot springs!)

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TattyBoBatty View Post
    First and foremost, let me apologize in advance as I'm going to royally screw up some terms that are probably 2nd nature to you all and even if I continue to hear these terms for 20 years to come, I will probably still address them in my own language - as anyone who has known me for some time can attest.

So, on with my question.
    I have an ENO doublenest and like 12 foot or so of webbing (my hubby did all the research from this here board, so I know he got the good info!). It's not the stretchy webbing, it's the good stuff (I can't remember what stretches, nylon?)

Anyway, we hung the hammock up using the webbing and 3 rings. One daddy ring (the big one) which is attached to one end of our webbing and two babies (a tad smaller). After we wrapped the webbing around the tree we ran it through the daddy ring and pulled tight. Then the long dangling end of the webbing went through the hookthingy on the hammock and back through the two baby rings.

The two baby rings and the webbing were threaded like a belt so it pulled tight. Hubby make a slipknot above the rings and everything holds fine.

Here's the problem/question:
    If we don't put the slipknot, it slides and will drop me on my butt. Is this normal? Shouldn't the two rings grip the webbing enough (like a belt) to keep it in place even without the knot? Shouldn't the knot just be for added security?

I'm sorry for my real lack of terminology, my hubby probably should have posted but I'm at work and really kind of wanted to know. So if you can remotely understand what I'm saying, I'd greatly appreciate any advice. (or I'll just bug those of you going to the hang out in hot springs!)
    doesn't sound normal to have the slippage be constant.

wonder if you or your hubby could get a boxy thingy with the flashing light and clicky sound to make a picture and stick it on the forums for the smart alecks to see.

seriously though, it could be due to the way the pair of rings are held together on the "other" side from where you tighten, it could be because the webbing is too narrow relative to the size of the rings.

Or maybe you're just unlucky and will have to either get cinch buckles, learn to tie a trucker's hitch, or go to ground

A picture might help.

Grizz

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    GearGuide 12x12
    Insulation
    Crappy Blue Pad
    Oh, hubby told me that we use the "JustJeff's Ring System" and I could have just said that then go into the whole daddy/baby ring thing.

Are you all starting to see why I use this username??

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    GearGuide 12x12
    Insulation
    Crappy Blue Pad
    Thanks GrizzlyAdams for even trying to decipher my language LOL!!

I'll try and snap a picture tonight and post it to see what you all think, a picture is worth a thousand words, right? (or a thousand confusions in my case!)

Hammock
    WL Night Owl
    Tarp
    WL Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    Quilts + Body Fat
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I'm puzzled by something. You mention 3 rings, I don't know of any system that uses 3 rings. Just Jeff's uses two.

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    GearGuide 12x12
    Insulation
    Crappy Blue Pad
    Comparing his site, we are just using another ring instead of a biner.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobit View Post
    I'm puzzled by something. You mention 3 rings, I don't know of any system that uses 3 rings. Just Jeff's uses two.
    One can only assume that the 'daddy ring' is the carabiner in the typical ring buckle setup.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    GearGuide 12x12
    Insulation
    Crappy Blue Pad
    Actually with my post, angrysparrow, I think a lot could be assumed LOL!!!

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    wonder if you or your hubby could get a boxy thingy with the flashing light and clicky sound to make a picture and stick it on the forums for the smart alecks to see.
    Grizz
    LOL . Grizz, don't be a bad boy with new members!

Seriously though, a picture is worth a thousand thingies.

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    GearGuide 12x12
    Insulation
    Crappy Blue Pad
    And just FYI, in the meantime before I head home with the little boxy thing that goes clicky :P I'm reading up on http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/a...ammocking.html

I think I owe it to you all LOL!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast