Warbonnet XLC, Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Superfly & Edge
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Warbonnet Straps

Hennessy tarp after whoopie sling conversion

Hello all, I've been lurking here for a while trying to absorb as much knowledge as I can. Wow, what a great resource.

Last summer I had my first overnight in my ENO Doublenest and had ball! This Christmas I got the ok from my wife to buy a Hennessey Deluxe Explorer with zip.

I just completed the whoopie sling conversion on it, and just realized that I can no longer use the prussic clips that were on each end of the stock hammock ropes to attach the rainfly.

What are people doing for this? I guess I can just tie it above on a separate ridgeline, but I was hoping to use the snakeskins that I just ordered.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks much~
    Last edited by Buzz; 01-02-2012 at 13:25. Reason: clarification

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1dbl
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed Hooks
    Images
    I find that it's best to use the snakeskins just for the tarp. That way if it's raining you won't get the hammock itself all wet when you wrap it up in the morning.

Welcome aboard, and I recommend trying out a few options for yourself before settling on anything. You've got a lot of opportunity to try lots of options here without adding to the cost. You might need to know a few knots, but once you're set, just look into Dutchware.

I've got a separate ridge line for the tarp, and it's great for me. The tarp can be left in the skins if it's not raining, and you get the best view. If it is raining, then the tarp can be set up first (and quickly), leaving you lots of dry space underneath to get organised. You can then set up the hammock whenever you want, and stay dry for the most part.

The separate ridge line also gives you flexibility in how high you want the tarp to be above the hammock. Is the weather fine? Don't hang it at all (or leave it in the skins). Is it raining/likely to rain, but there's no wind? Hang it up high and you can stand up underneath and get a nice view. Is it blustery? Hang it low and tight to keep you dry. Very versatile!

Images
    Buzz I had the same problem following my conversion. I, at the moment, put the prussics on the whoopies to attach the UQ and have dispensed with snakeskins for a double ended stuff sack which will stay attached to the suspension line. I have a hex tarp which I seperately suspend.
    Also, I have just ordered two chain rings from AHE to fit between the hammock and the whoopies following a tip in Dejoha's book that I hope will improve matters further.
    regards Alan

Hammock
    wb traveler/bb 1.1d, hh scua, gt ul
    Tarp
    ogee+zpack diamond
    Insulation
    jrb/hg downs+hh ss
    Suspension
    webbing+whoopies
    Images
    i have multiple hammocks and tarps, so i mix and match as needed. i always keep the hhss on my hennessy hammock - also whoopie converted - with a space blanket and that fills the snakeskins just right. i pack and hang the tarp separately on its own ridgeline, either my ogee in its own snakeskins or the original hh diamond tarp just stuffed. welcome to hf also! :-)

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly & Edge
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Warbonnet Straps
    Thanks for all of the info. I had an old ENO ridgeline. I attached my Hennessey tarp to that and put it in the snakeskins.
    Then it put my Explorer back into the original HH stuff sack. I think I'll look into a bishop bag? for the hammock.

Hammock
    Warbonett BB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream2
    Insulation
    Winter Crowsnest
    Suspension
    whoopieslings.com
    We make our whoopie slings special for a Hennessy Hammock. They have more room between the bury for the fixed eye and the constrictor to allow a place to attach the prusik loop/hook. If yours were not made this way, you can attach the prusik loop to the line that is on the outside of the constrictor, not the one that slides through the constrictor. This is not optimal but will work.

Hammock
    i like my HH
    Tarp
    no preference(yet)
    Insulation
    pad and bag
    Suspension
    what came/w the HH
    I hang my tarp on a seperate ridgeline. It allows me to adjust how much space between the tarp and hammock I have.

Sunny
    "Mother Gue", I says "the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world," and by God, I was right. Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    Thanks for all of the info. I had an old ENO ridgeline. I attached my Hennessey tarp to that and put it in the snakeskins.
    Then it put my Explorer back into the original HH stuff sack. I think I'll look into a bishop bag? for the hammock.
    I have two sets of snakeskins. One set fit over my HH Hex tarp, which I hang with cord attached to either end and tension with Fig 9s.

My HH Explorer Deluxe goes into it's own set of skins, with the HHSS and SB left attached.

I thought about the bishop bag for the hammock...but having spent a rainy afternoon sitting under my tarp with a couple of other folks (having just pulled my sleeping bag outta the hammock and skinned it back up in place for more room) showed me that it's nice to be able to skin either hammock, or tarp, or both as you like.

This past weekend I took my HH Exporer out with the Scout troop and tested some modifications I made. I installed a new set of Whoopie slings to the hammock. It was tricky setting this up in the dark, as I was not used to tensioning the whoopies, and kept trying to pull the wrong end. In the light of day, I could see how to do it. I also discarded my diamond shaped tarp in favor of my HH Hex tarp. The small one does not cover the hammock, and I could never use it in the rain. I had wet back syndrome over a couple of nights a few years ago until I figured out that this would not work. I could never tension the tarp right, since my weight would cause the Hennessy knot to tighten and add extra inches to the suspension pull. So I got a 25 foot length of cord, transferred the prussics to that, and snapped the hex tarp to the prussics. Of course it was dark and cold by the time I went to set up the hammock, and it took what seemed like a lot longer than usual. But when I got in for the night, everything was good. My only problem was one of the corner loops of the tarp broke, and I had to tie something like a sheet bend with the tarp string. I am thinking of replacing these strings with paracord. Heavier, but easier to work with.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly & Edge
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Warbonnet Straps
    I'm taking people's suggestion and doing the separate tarp and hammock set up. I like the idea of set up flexibility.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast