Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG 20 Inc/Burrow
    Images

Sell me on why to use continuous tarp ridgeline

I've got a SuperFly tarp and I can't quite make peace with my choice of suspension for it.

From day one I've been using tarp flyz fed on to the split ring at each end of the tarp. Per Brandon's instructional video I also used individual 12' tie outs on each end. This works really well, it's quite light weight, and it allows me to quickly pitch a tight tarp. Furthermore, because there is no Y in the line (with the WB method) I can slide my snake skins out onto the tie outs away from the tarp while it is deployed. The only minor complaint for the setup is that adjusting the tarp location after it is hung requires loosening and adjusting both ends at the flyz.

My observation has been that the majority of active people on the forum are using a continuous ridgeline for their tarp. So six months ago I made one with a Dutch hook on one side and a Stingerz on the other (new toys!) to see what I've been missing out on. I've used it a few times, but it has never been a satisfactory experience. I tried using it with the Dutchware, prusiks and combinations of both. It doesn't help that I've got a mental block that inhibits me from visualizing the simplest way to rig it. Even so, when using the easy-to-follow visual aids from Dutch or Dehoja, I swear it is far harder to rig or get taut than Brandon's simple alternative. Additionally, it only seems to cause a headache and roadblock at the tarp-to-RL attachment points when it comes time to roll back the snake skins.

Offhand, the main benefits to the CRL seem to be adjustability after the tarp is up. Am I missing another big selling point? I can see how Brandon's method might not work as well with tarps without the ridgeline reinforcement the SF possesses. I guess I can also see how tarp tension might slacken more with individual tie outs when the tarp gets wet.

From my perspective the score card looks like this:

• Cost - WB method
    • Weight - WB method
    • Speed of deployment - WB method
    • Packability - WB method
    • Snake Skin compatible - WB method
    • Adjustability - CRL method
    • Overrated Y compatible - Tie
    • Reduction in wear on tarp RL - CRL method
    • Consistent tension in tarp RL - CRL method

Help me HF. If the CRL is so commonly used and adored, what am I doing wrong or misunderstanding?

Thanks for any help that'll let me settle on a suspension and make peace with the decision.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Brandon's method is all knots, and I hate knots. I've also never used his method because I like Dutch bling. My comments below in bold:

Quote Originally Posted by DanglingModifier View Post
    From my perspective the score card looks like this:

• Cost - WB method - As Dutch says, you don't need his hardware, but you want it.
    • Weight - See above.
    • Speed of deployment - WB method - I definitely can't see any speed advantage with Brandon's method. I hook the Dutch hook on one end, then adjust the Tarp Flyz on the other end and I'm done. Center tarp using soft shackle prusiks.
    • Packability - WB method - I can't see any advantage of Brandon's method over a Dutch Hook/Tarp Flyz or Wasp continuous ridgeline. It's a push on packability.
    • Snake Skin compatible - WB method - Once again, it's a push - the Dutch Hook or Tarp Flyz/Wasp is totally snake skin compatible
    • Adjustability - CRL method - No argument here
    • Overrated Y compatible - Tie - Yeah, the Y thing totally baffles me. It addresses a problem I don't have.
    • Reduction in wear on tarp RL - CRL method - I might agree with this.
    • Consistent tension in tarp RL - CRL method - This too.

Help me HF. If the CRL is so commonly used and adored, what am I doing wrong or misunderstanding?

Thanks for any help that'll let me settle on a suspension and make peace with the decision.
    The Dutch CRL makes sense to me and I like being able to center the tarp with the prusiks. In rain or deep winter, it can be a bit difficult to move the prusiks, but I'm used to it.

Guess it all comes down to what you like. It's your tarp!
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Dutch Half Wit
    Tarp
    Squidbilly 1000
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    adj web, whoopies
    Images
    I also used the WB method for several years without issue. IF I had to adjust the tarp, I just adjusted each side and it didn't take very long and wasn't difficult. I agree with SilvrSurf on all of his comments. (is there a thread SilvrSurfr HASN'T commented on? - it's always good, but DANG he's on here a LOT)

I recently used a CRL on my Superfly (the one from Dutch, of course) and I really liked it. I was able to get a very tight tarp just as the WB method. The main reason I switched was to just an over the ridgeline pole mod.

I like it, it's just as easy (if not easier), and it works.

Hang your Own Hang - there's no right way or wrong way.
    "There's not much of a learning curve with a tent. Lay on the ground and suffer; repeat as often as necessary." - Silvrsurfr

http://jnunniv.wordpress.com

Hammock
    WB, JRB, WL
    Tarp
    bigger is better;)
    Insulation
    HG, JRB, UGQ, WL
    Suspension
    If it aint Dutch..
    Images
    Ya. have both types. usually prefer two-piece but sometimes will take the CRL style.
    Choice is Good!
    - Loki my videos
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.
    Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees.
    The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy,
    while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn." — John Muir

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    I've also done both. I currently have two individual 12' lines with stingers for my Superfly, and a CRL for my Cuben. They both work well, though you hit it right on the nose - the CRL is easier to adjust while the two lines are easier to get the tarp nice and taught. I don't find either more difficult or time consuming to set up. Weight difference is minimal at worst - you're mainly talking about extra zing-it, and a few grams for ease of adjustment is more than a fair trade off in my book. YMMV.

As for the snake skins, if you run the CRL over the tarp, and put the snake skins on so that the CRL is inside the skins, then you effectively eliminate the issue you have with not being able to pull them back far enough. Though to be honest, I've never found that having them bunched up right next to the tarp is a problem - do you find it to be a detriment in some way, or do you just not like the look?

Hammock
    Dutch Argon woodland camo
    Tarp
    DIY woodcamo 11x10
    Insulation
    Jarbidge UQ, HG 20
    Suspension
    Whoopie / cinch
    Although I didn't get to hike and camp this weekend, I did get out for a while to practice my Tarp setup. I have homemade 11x9 that I just added some side tie-outs to for door setup. I had the exact same issues that you mentioned. Since you mentioned Dehoja, I assume you watched his video. This is how my setup although I am using a Dutch hook on one side and a Dutch flea on the other. Also, I have the flea and the hook on small continuous loops larks headed to the d-ring on the tarp - for easy removal and in case I want to use the CRL for something else. I like that I can adjust on the fly with this method, but when I went to slide off the snakeskins, they did not clear the d-rings because of the "y" you mentioned. I actually fell asleep in bed thinking about this last night! My thought today was to either buy another flea and use on both sides with no CRL OR perhaps make a longer continuous loop (hooked to each d-ring) that the flea and hook are on so that the skins have room to slide up.

Hammock
    Dutch Argon woodland camo
    Tarp
    DIY woodcamo 11x10
    Insulation
    Jarbidge UQ, HG 20
    Suspension
    Whoopie / cinch
    Quote Originally Posted by silentorpheus View Post
    put the snake skins on so that the CRL is inside the skins
    I should mention that I tried this too. However, I like having my long strand of line separate instead of inside the skins and therefore somewhat permanently attached to the tarp.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    I still use two individual lines attached to the tarp with prusiks. It's how I used to do it when I used a CRL. I just eliminated the line that goes over the tarp. I've just never bothered changing it from years ago. Still works for me.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by silentorpheus View Post
    As for the snake skins, if you run the CRL over the tarp, and put the snake skins on so that the CRL is inside the skins, then you effectively eliminate the issue you have with not being able to pull them back far enough. Though to be honest, I've never found that having them bunched up right next to the tarp is a problem - do you find it to be a detriment in some way, or do you just not like the look?
    Wait, people run the CRL outside the snakeskins, not inside? What possible advantage does that serve?
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    I use a CRL and prussiks, in part because it is easier for a family member besides myself to grasp, and I keep being hopeful they will someday set up the tarp themselves. Ask me again in 6 months and I'll probably have changed.

Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Brandon's method is all knots, and I hate knots. I've also never used his method because I like Dutch bling.
    2 of the 3 methods he demonstrates in the video use hardware, including dutch bling.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast