Kelty
    Insulation
    Body Fat
    Suspension
    Mule's Special
    Images

Group Gear UP

Where to start....

Ok, for several years, I have been the National Director of an organization called Pathfinders. I just got word that this year the founder wants to add Hammock Hanging to the pot....

So, I need some help, I need to outfit 9 young men, ages 14 to 18 with all the BASIC essentials. I'll be buying in bulk, as to hopefully save money....here is what i am thinking I need.....( comments / Advice is welcome )

Hammock
    Tarp
    Straps
    Back pack
    stakes,rope,etc. for hammock and tarp
    stove, alky,gas ( ? )
    kitchen items, pot, cup, spoon, etc.
    sleeping bag or OQ/UQ
    COmpass/gps
    hiking sticks

I believe I am going to get about $500 to $600 per young person to outfit them. However if I can get away for less it keeps more money in the group for gas, food, etc....

THanks guys and gals, i know for a fact i am going to get some good results here..

Jerry the Hiker
    The only Easy day was yesterday.

Images
    Although it looks like you have the funds to purchase most everything.
    You might consider some DIY projects. That would make the $$$ stretch farther and provide great times with the group doing something together.

DIY gathered end hammocks are very easy to make and very comfortable.
    Whoopies are also very easy to make.

Alky stoves can be dangerous since you can't see the flame in the day time and if tipped over can cause a pretty big problem very fast.
    Some alky stoves are filled with carbon felt so if tipped over they don't spill the alky causing a big fire.

hth

Hammock
    DIY SL 1.9 Black
    Tarp
    OES Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Big Agnes IAC
    Suspension
    Whoopies or cinch
    for backpacks if you go on Amazon theres a pack called Teton Sports Scout 3400. its about 50 dollars and I still use it, weighs not too much and holds a good chunk of gear for up to 6 days
    Every time I hang in a tree I get a coconut to the head.....stupid coconuts

Hammock
    Darien 11'
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UnderGround Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Being that it is a group situation, and I would assume that there are skills building going on (team work etc.) I would suggest breaking into cooking groups of 3 persons each. YOu could save money in the kitchen department.
    Its a proven fact that 78.4% of all statstics are made up on the spot.

Stone's Videos

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    AHE/WL/DiY
    Suspension
    straps and stuff
    Jerry, you need to get in touch with PapaSmurf here on HF--www.mydiygear.com. I think he has some good experience in putting together packages for groups. I, too, would second the DIY route for a way to save money and also gain education and experience for you crew. Good luck and let us know how its going.

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry ( the Hiker ) View Post
    Where to start....

Ok, for several years, I have been the National Director of an organization called Pathfinders. I just got word that this year the founder wants to add Hammock Hanging to the pot....

So, I need some help, I need to outfit 9 young men, ages 14 to 18 with all the BASIC essentials. I'll be buying in bulk, as to hopefully save money....here is what i am thinking I need.....( comments / Advice is welcome )

Hammock
    Tarp
    Straps
    Back pack
    stakes,rope,etc. for hammock and tarp
    stove, alky,gas ( ? )
    kitchen items, pot, cup, spoon, etc.
    sleeping bag or OQ/UQ
    COmpass/gps
    hiking sticks

I believe I am going to get about $500 to $600 per young person to outfit them. However if I can get away for less it keeps more money in the group for gas, food, etc....

THanks guys and gals, i know for a fact i am going to get some good results here..

Jerry the Hiker
    Hey, I want your job!!
    I have a question... do these young people have any prior training in camping? I ask because I take Boy Scouts out on hiking/backpacking trips and I end up dealing with the parents that want to go out and buy gear.
    Alcohol stoves are nice but younger people sometimes have problems understanding that something you can't see will burn them. I'd stick with the canister type stove and then have 3 share it. (that's if each person is cooking their own meal) What type of food are you gonna be cooking? Will each person carry their own food and then need to cook their own food. Or will there be a main pot? Either way, I have each boy having their own small pot. They could then just use it like a bowl to eat out of. Or if they had to cook, it could go on the stove. Each will need something to eat with. A spork works well. I always carry my own knife and all my scouts do too. They don't really need a cup, a nalgene of some type will work just fine.
    Go with a compass, not a GPS. Easier! And way cheaper!! I recomend to my scouts to get the Brunton Classic compass in green.
    I believe Hennessy does some kind of scout hammock that comes with the tarp. That might be the cheapest way to go. Plus Hennessy hammocks are made with a thicker material that would probably stand up better to a bunch of kids that don't know what they're doing.Check out tent stakes on line, I found MSR Ground Hog $20 for 8. (Amazon) With the Hennessy and their tarp, it should be able to be set up with only 2 stakes.
    What will be the temperture range that you'll be camping in? This will determine a lot about insulation for the hammock. I'd stick with synthetic and not down. If the temps are warm enough, I'd look into the IX under insulation.
    And backpacks are another tricky question. They have to be fitted to the boy. Look at ones that say things like ... will fit from size 16-20 (I'm just making up that number). What you're looking for is a pack that has an adjustable back so it will fit a med size boy or can be adjusted to fit a boy with a much longer back.
    Hiking sticks... well you could have them all go out and find one in the woods!! I've found that most of my boy scouts can hike at a pace much faster than I can and that they didn't need or even want a hiking stick. Well except for that special one they found in the woods. It seems to me that just about all my scouts at one time or another will find a stick and use it.
    You didn't mention bear bags. Is this not an issue??
    And water filtration.

Hammock
    GTUL
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Jarbidge/Cosmic 20
    Suspension
    Whoopies and Webs
    My two cents:

Hammock - GTUL for as cheap as $12
    Tarp - Campmor.com has 10x10' coated tarps for $40 or you could get their blue tarps for $6
    Straps/suspension - Arrowhead Equipment has a whoopie/strap system for around $16 i believe
    Stakes - Tina's right, MSR stakes are nice @ 8 for $20

Kitchen -
    Beer can pot? They might enjoy the novelty of it. Check out Zelph's store, http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/foster-ridgeline-cans.php

Spork? sounds about right, better than eating with sticks. Unless you get them titanium chopsticks... (cue me now wanting titanium chopsticks)

Compass - insert $20 compass here. You should know what a good compass looks like right?

So for all that you're at about $120 without insulation. Now you can either go cheap (inexpensive) and get them CCF wallyworld sleeping pads for like $10 or you could decide to get them each an underquilt, which would run you probably, i dunno, $150 for a 3-season? I got my Jarbridge on sale from AHE (can i say enough good things about Arrowhead? I don't think i can.) but with $500 you might wanna splurge and get them all their own UQs to help them enjoy hammocking that much more. Even if you spend $150 you're still at $270. I'm sure they all have sleeping bags already right? Schlep 'em along. Gonna be heavier but hey, it works.

As for backpacks, JPsax said the Teton is good and it's $50 so that sounds about right to me.

And finally, alcohol stoves. I feel like that's got DIY written all over it, because they're so easy to make. A fancy feast can, a hole punch, and about 15 minutes will get you a perfectly functional alcohol stove. Aluminum foil for windscreen, etc. But if you have to buy em, again, Zelph's got some good stuff. Minibull stoves might be a little too expensive for your needs but they're sweet too.

So yeah, that post turned out longer than I'd expected. But I think I hit all your points with only around $330 spent? Their gear isn't gonna be the lightest or most compact but they're kids, make em work.
    Only the dreamer venoms all his days,
    Bearing more woe than all his sins deserve.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0
    Tarp
    GearGuide12x12
    Insulation
    FrankenIXWoobie
    Suspension
    Strap
    Images
    Here's the link to PapaSmurf's BoyScout Kit: http://www.mydiygear.com/pages/proje...ammock-kit.php
    Near the bottom he offers to build the kit for about $56 with shipping. That covers your hammock, tarp, straps, lines, stakes, and bug net.

For stoves, you might want to think about a set of Esbits. Easy to set up and use. REI has them here: http://www.rei.com/product/653343/esbit-pocket-stove Can't beat $11 with fuel, but you might try your local Army Navy Surplus, too.

They might have a few cheap mess kits like these that would work to boil water:
    http://www.armynavysales.com/products/mess-kit/
    http://www.armynavysales.com/products/5-piece-mess-kit/

That should leave you with over $400 to invest in the backpacks, insulation, and compasses.

Good luck! And update us on what you end up going with...sounds like a great project!
    Dutch: Hammock is probably more weight but who wants to lay on the ground? I pee on the ground.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry ( the Hiker ) View Post
    So, I need some help, I need to outfit 9 young men...

Straps
    DIY would be the way to go IMO. Straps? Try the local power company and score some Mule tape. They use it to pull cable etc and normally have bunches of it to get rid of gratis.

Hammock
    WWBB
    Tarp
    UQ.com Maxtarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ & M50 UQ
    Suspension
    Dutchness + Straps
    Images
    Sgt. Rock Did an article about a complete setup $300 under 30lbs. I couldn't find it. Maybe Sgt. will make an appearance and shed some light. Regardless, if you need a DIY'er to lend a hand let me know I'd love to help out.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast