Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    MLD Spectralite
    Insulation
    JRB seasonal

Best tarp for hammock AND ground dwelling

Disclaimer: this post reveals me as someone who still enjoys sleeping on the ground sometimes (I like to cuddle!), so if that thought upsets you (the ground dwelling, not the cuddling), then you should probably skip this. :P

I'm finally ready to sew my first tarp, using black 1.1 sil and grosgrain. The original plan was to do a BlackCat, but I started to think that a more traditional rectangular tarp would be better as I could then use it for a two-person ground shelter.

The question: what shape tarp would make the most sense as a dual-use hammock/ground tarp?

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Tarp tents have a specialty all their own. I am not sure the two designs can be successfully merged into one piece of gear. I am not a tarp tent user so I really don't have much experience with them. I do know that anytime I have tried to use a rectangular tarp for a tarp tent I have been disappointed in the results.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nartoff View Post
    The original plan was to do a BlackCat, but I started to think that a more traditional rectangular tarp would be better as I could then use it for a two-person ground shelter.
    I don't see what would keep you from using the BlackCat on the ground. Could you explain your concerns?

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    MLD Spectralite
    Insulation
    JRB seasonal
    I should also add that I have only used a tarp as a ground shelter a few times, so I'm a novice there.

Perhaps, then, this is a better approach: For those of you who have used a hex tarp on the ground for two people, were there any problems with the indented corners? Does the hex shape significantly decrease the pitching possibilities?

This is now straying a bit off hammock topic, but I haven't found much information out there on using hex tarps on the ground; they seem to be in the purview of the hangers.

Images
    You should check out the pictures at the bottom of the BlackCat directions:

http://www.angrysparrow.com/hammock_...k_Cat_Tarp.pdf

There are several different ground configurations he came up with.

I think it would also be wise to consider what your needs are with this tarp. You may find that you tend to cuddle camp in predominatly nice weather. Thus, you would need less coverage, and wouldn't have to worry as much about size.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe Sil
    Insulation
    DIY Quilt+HG Inc20
    I think with the dimensions that the BB directions have, the BlackCat would work great for a ground tarp. The 12' ridgeline should provide you with more than enough protection, even in decently windblown rain.

Brian
    OES

Hammock
    Hennessey summer, lightest winter
    Tarp
    JRB 10x11 in skins
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 & SierraSv
    Images
    Given your particular circumstances, I'd go with a rectangular tarp for the greater variety of pitching options. Since you're making your own, give yourself plenty of tieouts.

Images
    An 8x10 rectangular tarp pitched with a 10 foot ridgeline is what I used for a ground tarp and it seemed to be about the right size. That size works well for most hammocks too.
    Youngblood AT2000

• + New Posts