MYOG 1.1 Double Layer
    Tarp
    DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY top & U Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Talking The 2012 Lake Greenwood, Goat Island Hang in Greenwood, SC. May 17-20, 2012

I can’t believe it is already 2012. Time to start learning to write the date all over again and also time to start planning the third annual Goat Island Hang. This year promises to be bigger and better than last year (and last year was AWESOME! if you don’t believe me check this out -http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ht=goat+island)

Reservations for Goat Island this year are for the weekend of May 17th thru May 20th. This is the weekend prior to Memorial Day Weekend and also the weekend just before the Linville Gorge Hang so you don’t have to choose between the two. Attend them both. We have found in the past that some like to have the option to come out a day early so we now make the reservations for Thursday thru Sunday. However, no pressure for Thursday. In fact, showing up on Saturday is fine too.

In order to get to the island, you will need a boat or chip in for gas if someone is able to provide a shuttle that weekend. Just make sure not to call whomever offers this service the Goat Island Fairy Typically we have a group dinner on Saturday evening with the last two years being “Low Country Beaufort Frogmore Boil Stew”. Dessert was also a big hit the last two years where we were treated to some fine talented Dutch Oven cooks. Peach cobbler, blackberry cobbler, and an upside down peach cake... all topped “a la mode”. Talk about being in heaven...

This will be a kid-friendly event so please feel free to bring your family along (that being said... please temper your activities and conversations appropriately). In the past there has not been an agenda other than hang out, have fun, and when do we eat? The kids and adults spent a lot of time in the water. Swimming, boating , fishing, skiing, and tubing were a big hit last year(skiing, tubing, and shuttling thanks to Swampfox!). This year we hope to provide even more opportunities for fun by setting up a compass course on the island to teach or test orienteering skills. The possibilities for fun are not limited by the size of the island (pic)- there is even a geocache on the island.

Also, this year we plan on having a silent auction. I already have commitments to donate for this event from some of our much beloved cottage vendors (DIY Gear Supply, Dutchware,Mountaingoat Gear, Wilderness Logics and others not wishing to be named). The funds raised by this will go to Greenwood Lake Management Department (GLMD) to help in the maintenance of the island campsites.

In order to comply with the reservations we have already made with the GLMD, please make sure to sign up on the roster located here: (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...hl=en_US#gid=0) There is no fee for camping, just sign up and claim yourself a spot and try to adhere to the GLMD rules as outlined in the fine print at the very bottom of this post

Goat Island has no facilities therefor all water for consumption will be brought to the island. We will have access to additional water if needed but there is a small convenience store at Moon’s Landing where basic supplies can be purchased. With that said, also note that there are no restrooms so please be prepared to dispose of all waste properly (ie. catholes, baggies, personal porta-potties, etc.).

Here is the address for the secure parking place at:

Moon Landing RV Park & Marina‎

4105 Watts Bridge Road
    Cross Hill, SC 29332-5049
    (864) 998-4292
    www.moonlandingrvpark.com‎

Per GMLD because it’s my name on the permit-
    • No cutting of trees shall be permitted on the Island, or destruction of trees and other plant life.
    • Absolutely no littering. All trash and litter brought to the Island must be removed by the expiration of this permit.
    • Campfires must be built in such a way as to prevent spread of the fire and must be completely extinguished prior to the expiration of this permit. Fires can only be used to burn dead wood gathered on the Island or brought to the Island. Burning trash is prohibited.
    • There will be no camping in the backside of the Island facing the Greenwood County shoreline. All campsites must face the lake body.
    • The use of alcohol (in moderation. please use your discretion) or illegal drugs is absolutely prohibited. (However, . . . we "assume" this rule is to reduce any liability of the GLMD from any "irresponsible" behaviors associated from such consumption therefore we leave the responsibility to each person to conduct themselves accordingly. Don't advertise it, abuse it, and so on.)
    • Any violation of the above provisions of this permit will result in the immediate revocation of same, the forfeiture of the privilege to receive future permits, and/or prosecution for criminal and civil liabilities that might arise from these violations.
    • Checkout time is 2 pm.
    Map of Goat Island in Reference to Moon's Landing on Lake Greenwood.

Zoomed in view of the above map

brought to you by chickenwing and Muskrat!
    Last edited by chickenwing; 01-09-2012 at 13:49.
    Check out my website www.cwhammocks.com or Find me on the YouTubes
    You can even"Like" me on facebook or follow me on Twitter @cwhammocks

"In my world everyone is a pony, and they all eat rainbows, and poop butterflies."

DONATE TO THE GOAT ISLAND FIRE PIT FUND

Hammock
    WBBB Double 1.7
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Burrow,Yetti,WInc
    Suspension
    webbing/Dutchclips
    Yes it is... time again to mark on my calendar. Looking forward to this event once again. As usual, I will be there!
    “He doesn't know the meaning of the word fear, but then again he doesn't know the meaning of most words”
    - Bobby Bowden

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    Oh Boy, I am looking forward to this. I wanta go, I wanta go, I wanta go.....
    "No whining in the woods"

Hammock
    11ft DIY
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway
    Insulation
    DIY Primaloft
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Definitely want to come to this. It'a gonna be a busy time of year though so I can't commit till closer to the date. Maybe if I start now I can have my wife convinced to come by the time it gets here? Wish me luck.

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Insulation
    UGQ down goodness
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    Images
    Hmm...Let me talk it over with Timberrr..I really wanted to go last year but we just could not manipulate our schedules enough to make it possible.

Hammock
    WBBB Double 1.7
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Burrow,Yetti,WInc
    Suspension
    webbing/Dutchclips
    Quote Originally Posted by BajaHanger View Post
    Oh Boy, I am looking forward to this. I wanta go, I wanta go, I wanta go.....
    Be good to meet you, looking forward to it. . .

Quote Originally Posted by futbolfreak08 View Post
    Definitely want to come to this. It'a gonna be a busy time of year though so I can't commit till closer to the date. Maybe if I start now I can have my wife convinced to come by the time it gets here? Wish me luck.
    Keeping fingers crossed for ye futbolfreak. The Mrs. futbolfreak is welcomed to join us even if just for a day. Plotting now what dinner and breakfast may entail... may have to go with wings again now that I see a charcoal grill will be on the island!

Quote Originally Posted by Gumbo View Post
    Hmm...Let me talk it over with Timberrr..I really wanted to go last year but we just could not manipulate our schedules enough to make it possible.
    Gumbo, I can't express my thanks to your offer for the FL Hang but I really look forward to meeting you and Timberr at Goat Island if you guys can make it. Planning on making the 2013 FL Hang considering all things are good by then...
    “He doesn't know the meaning of the word fear, but then again he doesn't know the meaning of most words”
    - Bobby Bowden

Hammock
    MYOG 1.1 Double Layer
    Tarp
    DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY top & U Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    It really will be good to get out on the island this year. I am hoping to see a lot of people who were there the last two years and a whole lot more who weren't. No matter how it turns out this will be a fantastic hang. I think I may even have the wife talked into coming out and hanging out for a few hours on Saturday.
    Check out my website www.cwhammocks.com or Find me on the YouTubes
    You can even"Like" me on facebook or follow me on Twitter @cwhammocks

"In my world everyone is a pony, and they all eat rainbows, and poop butterflies."

DONATE TO THE GOAT ISLAND FIRE PIT FUND

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Phoenix 3-season
    Suspension
    Webbing/Dutch Clip
    It's on my calendar!!!
    Looking forward to it.

Senior Member carolinasbackpacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Hammock gear
    Suspension
    dutch hook mostly
    well it's my home town so I guess I should come out for at least a night before heading off to the Gorge
    Show of Life Media Youtube Channel

The Carolinas Backpackpacker Chronicles

I'm drawn to the open country. Its where the world makes the most sense. When I put myself out there I always return with something new.

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    A bump to get some more hangers...
    "No whining in the woods"

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast