Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
When you flipped the hammock the RL may have been looped around the gather ends. This would in effect shorten the RL. Probably not a good thing.
I have a Byer Moskito, which doesn't really have gathered ends, just a bunch of strings that come together to make a loop at the end in typical Brazilian fashion. I think I have the opposite problem, ridge line too long. I measured it at 123" and tried measuring along the hammock (not easy when you can't lie it flat because of ridge line) and I am getting 133", which is a ratio of 92%, waaay too much. I want to re-check this though.

Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
If I was working thru these issues.
I think I'd remove the tarp and quilts and just work on getting the hammock adjusted for the most comfortable lay. IMO it is the #1 most important thing.

Then add the TQ and find a way to keep it in the hammock. I see nothing wrong with using the net to do this like rip suggests.

Then set the TQ a side and go to the UQ and get it fitted to the hammock so there is no air gaps in the butt/back area.
While laying in the hammock it is easy to slip your hand between the hammock and UQ to feel for air gaps. Adjust the shock cord if required.
You want it just tight enough to hold the quilt against your back but not too tight.

Then finely add the tarp and adjust for best coverage based on the expected weather.

This is very good advice, thank you. I will take down my ridge line and make a whoopie sling version so I can adjust its length. It's hanging in my basement now and although the angle of the suspension lines are much less than 30 degrees, the ridge is nowhere taut, so it's obviously way too long.

I did some fiddling outside this afternoon and made some improvements already, before I realized my ridge line problem. I was using the triangle thingies that come with the UQ, and connecting them up to the end points of my hammock with mini biners, but I have found it works much better with a Byer Moskito when I connect the shock cord sides directly to the outermost strings on each corner of the hammock. That greatly increases the UQ's tendency to spread out under the hammock. Also I had the ends cinched down way to much, if you overdo it it wants to pull the sides of the UQ together. The path of least resistance is to go underneath the hammock rather than up the sides. So I loosened the ends and tightened the sides and it's way better already.

Also, as SilvrSurfr has discovered, the Moskito just doesn't work as well when it's upside down, I don't know why. I flipped it back up and things were much easier with the mosquito netting above me.