Tarp
    Chinook 12" x 9'6"
    Insulation
    Zeppelin 20° UQ
    Suspension
    web cinch buckle
    Images

Bailed !

I set up last night in my backyard with my new 20 degree Zeppelin UQ. I think I might have referred it earlier as a Phoenix... sorry Paul, I'm going senile in my old age.

I've slept in my hammock maybe 4 or 5 times, this was the first time I used it without the bug net. I flipped it over. I didn't realize what a difference that makes! Keeping everything in my hammock was a real pain. When you're not in the hammock the UQ tension keeps the sides of the hammock tight and it's hard to get everything in there, especially when you're squatting next to it because the tarp is really low.

I don't have a TQ, so I used my down sleeping bag unzipped to about a couple of feet from the bottom to create a footbox. It was too wide folded out like that and I couldn't keep the !@##?! thing in the hammock. It kept hanging over the side and pushing the UQ down away from the hammock sides.

Coupled with the fact that once again I couldn't get my head from rolling back to the center of the hammock, and my inflatable pillow had sprung a leak, I decided to bail after about an hour of wriggling around. I think the problem with my head is because my hammock must be strung too tight. The trouble is I thought I had got that set to what I wanted: consequently my ridgeline is tied up and can't be easily adjusted.

I guess I will have to undo it and make a big whoopie sling out of it so I can adjust the length until I am really certain I have the right sag.

Does anyone else have a problem with keeping their stuff in the hammock? Even my bloody pillow fell out onto the ground a couple of times.
    "Dyslexic knot unravellers of the world, UNITE!"

Hammock
    Warbonnet BlackBird
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Down top & bottom
    Suspension
    Strap and buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gra_factor View Post
    Does anyone else have a problem with keeping their stuff in the hammock? Even my bloody pillow fell out onto the ground a couple of times.
    My pillow (small DIY primaloft/momentum) is tethered with a piece of skinny shockcord. It still falls out, but I can fish around and catch the cord and pull it back up.

My double-wide ENO knockoff is big enough that my quilt does not escape, and the WB Blackbird is boat-like enough that the quilt stays in, even if I have not deployed the bugnet. I did have to learn not to thrash around excessively when in a hammock. Before that I think I did have some problems with escaping gear.
    -Liz -

Hammock
    kbwaddy
    Tarp
    valesko
    Insulation
    ahurst
    Suspension
    dutch
    keeping stuff in the hammock is tough, esp. in winter with the bulky down goods. getting it all organized and optimized to your own personal needs is tough. if you plan on doing any or a lot of cold weather hanging... keep practicing in your backyard. pulling the plastic bins out during the day and practicing set up helps.

knotty helped to pioneer the 'head and foot' pouch mod... shockcord sewn into the hammock hem on the asym... allowing the user to cinch the hammock and create a pocket. wilderness logics has the snipe that utilizes this. some even sewn in a footbox, a la wb blackbird to help keep the footstuff under control.

my footbox always fell over the edge of my wb traveler hammock. it was frustrating, so i moved onto other options.

the pillow is a little easier. you can tether it to the ridgeline with some shockcord.
    "Jeff-Becking"

DOWNTOWN BROWN!!!!

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    At 54" wide, the Moskito will have fairly low sides adding to your problem. I'd suggest a wider hammock or simply continue to use the bug net side all year.

Hammock
    Byer of Maine Moskito
    Tarp
    Chinook 12" x 9'6"
    Insulation
    Zeppelin 20° UQ
    Suspension
    web cinch buckle
    Images
    It's only 54" wide? That explains a lot. I have been planning to make my own, now that my sewing machine is up and running.

Images
    Wow, it sure sounds like you had a hectic and frustrating time. Just the opposite of what one wants when going to bed.
    As other have stated more backyard practice should help you get these bugs worked out.
    Don't give up, there are simple fixes to each and everyone of these problems. Good luck and please post your progress.
    O&B

Hammock
    Byer of Maine Moskito
    Tarp
    Chinook 12" x 9'6"
    Insulation
    Zeppelin 20° UQ
    Suspension
    web cinch buckle
    Images
    Thanks, it's still up so I will go and fiddle with it today. In particular I want to measure the SRL to see how it relates to the hammock length.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gra_factor View Post
    Thanks, it's still up so I will go and fiddle with it today. In particular I want to measure the SRL to see how it relates to the hammock length.
    When you flipped the hammock the RL may have been looped around the gather ends. This would in effect shorten the RL. Probably not a good thing.

If I was working thru these issues.
    I think I'd remove the tarp and quilts and just work on getting the hammock adjusted for the most comfortable lay. IMO it is the #1 most important thing.

Then add the TQ and find a way to keep it in the hammock. I see nothing wrong with using the net to do this like rip suggests.

Then set the TQ a side and go to the UQ and get it fitted to the hammock so there is no air gaps in the butt/back area.
    While laying in the hammock it is easy to slip your hand between the hammock and UQ to feel for air gaps. Adjust the shock cord if required.
    You want it just tight enough to hold the quilt against your back but not too tight.

Then finely add the tarp and adjust for best coverage based on the expected weather.

hth

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    The Byer Moskito Hammock is just a lousy lay when you flip it over with bugnet underneath. I've been trying this and putting a sleeping bag and pad in the bugnet for insulation. I can't even keep myself in the hammock when it's flipped over, well enough my stuff.

Hammock
    Byer of Maine Moskito
    Tarp
    Chinook 12" x 9'6"
    Insulation
    Zeppelin 20° UQ
    Suspension
    web cinch buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    The Byer Moskito Hammock is just a lousy lay when you flip it over with bugnet underneath. I've been trying this and putting a sleeping bag and pad in the bugnet for insulation. I can't even keep myself in the hammock when it's flipped over, well enough my stuff.
    Interesting, I wonder if it's those bloody strings causing the problem.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast