Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Practice now...or wait?

As many of you know, I am new to the hammock camping world. I have been learning SO much on this forum. Like others, I am eager to put into action what I am learning.

I purchased a very rudimentary hammock, suspension system, and tarp with the intent of really only using it during the summer when the nighttime lows will be in the 60s and 70s. My intent is to use my pre-existing CCF for thermal protection if needed.

Now for the problem....

I am chomping at the bit to hang my hammock. I tent camp year round and I have a backpacking trip coming up this weekend. I am considering taking my hammock and setting it up. I will also have my tent set up. My intention is to try to sleep in my hammock and have my tent ready as a bail-out plan.

Is a CCF and mummy sleeping bag (to be used as a TQ) enough to keep the average person warm on a 35 degree night? Is this reasonable or am I setting myself up to fail, and (ultimately) hate hammocking?

Hammock
    Eno DL, Deep Jungle XL, Kammock Roo
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ quilts!!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies and web
    If you layer like crazy, then maybe it would be ok. Im not a CCF pad guy, but ive heard some success stories.

Also, it depends on the bags rating. youre going to get very little insulation from it under you.

if youre like i was (broke) and can find one, get a poncho liner and make a UQ. while it wont be good alone to that temp, proper layering and the pad could get you there. And if you get a second, i used mind close to freezing by throwing over my ridgeline and making a "tent" type deal to keep in heat.

but it never hurts to take it to hang out in or learn to set it up.
    Give a man fire and he's warm for the night.
    Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life. Dante

Hammock
    Eno DL, Deep Jungle XL, Kammock Roo
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ quilts!!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies and web
    and with that, try setting it up at home if you can, and stay in it in those temps. no point in packing all that stuff and carrying it in, just to roll the dice.
    Give a man fire and he's warm for the night.
    Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life. Dante

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Short answer...practice now!

Hammock
    Black Bird
    Tarp
    MacCat
    Insulation
    Crow's Nest/RayWay
    Images
    Hi Texas Gal, you'd be chilly on your backside at 35 degrees with no UQ, for sure. Even if you zip your bag up all the way the insulation compresses underneath you, and looses its ability to keep you warm. Shug has a video on zipping his bag up around the outside of the hammock, that would be better. ( I looked for it and could not find it - sorry. Maybe if you'd send him a note and ask he'll send you a link) An under quilt is best of all for staying warm in winter.

I understand the desire to sleep in your hammock. Really, nothing is better if it's cold out and you're snug inside.

Good luck
    Skyclad
    "The power of the imagination makes us infinite."

John Muir

Hammock
    Claytor Jungle Hammock
    Tarp
    Camo Diamond
    Insulation
    TB
    Suspension
    Stock
    I too am new to this hammock camping thing, though I have done winter camping over the years. I think the advice to set up at home first makes good sense. I set my hammock up in the back yard, I have about 1/2 an acre with a treed space at the back of my yard.

The things I learned were: How far apart was optimal for tree spacing. For my Claytor Jungle hammock it was about 15 paces in my size 11 boots. What knots to use --I have the stock webbing still. How much drop to put into the hammock? How to best secure the tarp, and so on.

I also experimented by using different CCF blue under pads. They did work. I used two, overlapping, and at different angles, but then the Claytor has a double bottom. They were fine for napping with a down mummy bag on top. The night I spent out, it was -17 Celcius, about 2 Fahrenheit, so I laid an old polar guard bag above the mats, and slept with my down bag. I was quite comfy even though I tend to sleep cold.

The advice about layering is excellent. When I was Scout leader, and we did winter camps, we always told the Scouts to change clothes before going to bed. The reason is that you perspire when awake, so getting into dry clothes really helps. We also tried to discourage them from using cotton. Chose polypropylene, as it wicks moisture off your body. There really is no shame going to sleep with full clothing on, double socks, triple top layers, double bottoms. Oh yes, and most important, bring a toque or balaclava to keep your head warm. We lose a lot of heat from our heads, so covering it works to protect body heat.

Finally, given you are in Texas, where I have never been, I can only imagine that you will be fine. I will leave that for others to comment.

Hammock
    MYOG 1.1 Double Layer
    Tarp
    DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY top & U Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    with a blue WM ccf pad and your SB as a a top quilt you should be good to 35. As long as all of your body is on the pad. Where you come off the pad there will be cold spots (think elbows and knees). Many here have been successful with a pad to those temps. Including me. You could also use a cut down pad and make a cross of sorts to extend the pad in the areas mentioned above. Having your tent near by so you can bail if things get too cool is a good idea if you just can't wait to take your hammock out for this trip, but as others have suggested...

practice, practice, practice

Happy hanging!
    Check out my website www.cwhammocks.com or Find me on the YouTubes
    You can even"Like" me on facebook or follow me on Twitter @cwhammocks

"In my world everyone is a pony, and they all eat rainbows, and poop butterflies."

DONATE TO THE GOAT ISLAND FIRE PIT FUND

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Why not take advantage of some of the properties of your current hammock to keep you warmer? If you flip that hammock with net upside down and make some form of weather shield, you can stuff different types of insulation into the net and suspend it.
    Read up on this guy. Before the first UQ existed, he took some pretty lightweight concepts and turned them into a solution that would work into the teens. All that you need is a weathershield and some plastic bags. Combine that with your ccf, and you should be golden. Just PLEASE do experiment at home before you need it.
    I took a weathershield made of ripstop and silnylon and filled the gap with some mid-sized trash bags a few years ago and made it into the 20's in my backyard with no pad. The Garlington Insulator is cheap AND light without much bulk in the pack.

Hammock
    Freebird, HHExUL w/zip mod
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    I think you are on the right track. Pad for insulation, bag as a top quilt, and a bailout plan. Now, practice a night or two this week to try it out.

Excellent advice...thanks, everyone!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast