Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Hammock
    ENO double
    Suspension
    Whoopie&TreeStraps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by copleycw View Post
    It might be that I put it up all the time, and even to my father in law's Sunday dinner (he has the best spacing of trees for it)... My wife thinks I'm crazy - little does she know that she's getting one for her birthday in a few months (I'm banking on her "jealousy" being the reason for the hater-ade)

People think I'm an idiot - especially the cop who got called because I had wandered into someone's back yard after scouting out a "test" location for tinkering and refining the hang. No lie - I actually busted out a picture of my setup on my phone so he would believe me.

Happy Hanging
    I've had the police called on me too....someone thought i was camping in the park.

this was the spot http://maps.google.com/maps?q=28.331...h&vpsrc=0&z=20

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    Balloons
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by thesilence View Post
    I hang on campus, and occasionally get weird looks but there's a pretty strong hammock subculture at Auburn so we stick together and it's not too bad
    In my backyard is Appalachian State University. The hanging subculture there is robust and active. I had to get my daughter a hammock so she could study outdoors in good weather.
    I love the unimproved works of God. - Horace Kephart

Hammock
    HH Expedition Ultralite Asym
    Tarp
    DIY BlackCat
    Insulation
    WB3S Yeti, Big Ag.
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies / MSH
    I spent October - early December in my hammock in N. Texas, in a backyard. All of my stuff was inside, along with an open bed

2012: shift in horizontal consciousness

Hammock
    ///
    Tarp
    ///
    Insulation
    ///
    Suspension
    ///
    I've got some downtime between calls at the station so I was trying out some different suspension setups between the fire apparatus in the engine bays. It's nice having a few kits full of high angle rescue gear available to pick through for toys to try out new setups for free.

Needless to say, the rest of my crew thinks I'm nuts. I can't wait for the summer time when we are activated for a forest fire and I'm hanging comfortably at night while the rest of the crew spends another night on a hard hose bed of a fire engine.

I'm thinking about bringing a DIY and selling it to the highest bidder (JK)

I have seen a few hammocks set up in fire camps over the years when deployed on wildland fires, but they are pretty few and far between.

Hammock
    HH UL bpk
    Tarp
    Winter Haven
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Keep up the good work and we'll have a hammock in every police cruiser before you know it.
    Hopefully not in the back seat...

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway
    Insulation
    PLUQ
    Suspension
    Tree Hugger
    Funny, I think the cops were jealous and wanted info on you gear setup.

Hammock
    BIAS Hiker Lite Teal/Black
    Tarp
    GG Emergency Shltr
    Insulation
    Leighlo UQ
    Suspension
    BIAS standard kit
    I was hanging in two trees in my yard, but near my neighbor's property line. He's an older guy, nice, though, and he walked up while I was reading a book and began to talk to me about proper hanging techniques. "Those are pines and that one there isn't very big... you probably should..." The one in question was as big as my waist with no dead limbs overhead. I don't think he meant anything by it; I was enjoying the uncharacteristically warm day.

He was pacing and around me yacking nonstop and trying to figure out what I was doing. Made reading a real drag with him standing over me giving me tips on how to do something he'd never done.

I now hang with one strap on the pecan and the other on the gazebo in another part of the yard.

Hammock
    TLD/Hammeck Breezy
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    HG/WL/pad
    Suspension
    webbing /CB
    The first time I busted out my hammock gear on a river trip, my friends lined up in their camp chairs to watch. Unfortunately I didn't have my suspension set up correctly, and soon ended up on my butt on the ground. They got quite a laugh at my expense. Now when they see me get the hammock out, they yell "hey the floor show's starting" and line up to watch & jeer. But now I have my act together and I don't end up as entertainment anymore. Now the problem is keeping them out of my hammock when it's time for an afternoon nap.
    KJ

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB CB / UGQ WD
    Insulation
    WB Lynx / LL GP
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I had to convince my Mom and Mother in law that we were not torturing our kids (2 and 4) when we took them on a 4 day backpacking trip with just our hammocks! They slept with my wife and absolutely loved it! My son was told in school to make a picture of a campsite and he put the tent in the tree. His teachers had to ask about it and now they think we are crazy too!

Hammock
    Dream-Hammock Roaming Gnome custom
    Tarp
    WB Super Fly
    Insulation
    HG & Marmot
    Suspension
    Straps & Rings
    My wife thinks I'm nuts too.... However when the warm weather comes back I bet she converts and becomes a true believer!

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast