Hammock
    IO Double, GT Double, DIY
    Tarp
    Currently tarpless
    Insulation
    Experimenting

New member, a few questions

Greetings all. I have an HH Explorer Asym which I've attempted to use, rather unsuccessfully, a couple of times. I'm sure the problem is more me than the hammock. I flop around quite a bit when I sleep which combined with a pad in the hammock has resulted in some interesting situations - I thought I was going to have to cut my way out of the HH once. It seems a quilt might be the answer but I don't to want commit to a quilt until I get a handle on sleeping in a hammock. Has anyone used a foam pad (CCF, Oware, Gossamer Gear) as an under quilt, perhaps sandwiched between nylon, tyvek, a Neat Sheet? Also, has anyone experienced a pressure point on the leg resting on the ridge created by velcro closure? Any hangers in Arizona (Tucson area)? Thanks

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    Welcome!
    I have to laugh, I too caught myself looking up at the slit which I had managed to move to the top while trying to get my big agnes pad under me in the dark. I about $%(# when I turned my headlamp on. Pads of any kind are very troublesome in a Hennessy, especially in my opinion. Once I calmed down and systematically put the pad under me I had little trouble after that. The best bet is to get a JRB or Speer underquilt, or make one from an old sleeping bag. There are instructions of various kinds here on the HF. Don't give up, one day above ground is better than a hundred in a tent. Mule
    Predictions are risky, especially when it comes to the future.

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Welcome!

I've experience the "pressure point" in my HH, too. I, too, move around quite a bit and haven't found a solution to that one. I find myself w/that slight discomfort a few times each night out in my HH. All I know to tell ya is to align yourself in the prescribed diagonal position, with your lower legs nestled in the "trough" created to the right of the slit, and try to get as comfortable as possible before falling asleep.

As for pads, I haven't had good luck with 'em! Others have, though, so experience is a good guide as to what will work for you.

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    As far as pads go with a Hennessy, it gets better with practice. Always a pain compared to a top loader hammock.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    I'm still tweaking my pad situation. ccf is the most practical, lots of people use the SPE (Speer Pad Extender) and seem to have luck with that but I haven't gotten to that point. I don't know what the pressure point is, but I have the Safari which is one t=of their largest models. I thrash around quite a bit and often end up on my side in a more or less fetal position. But I sleep like that anyway. I love the hammock.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Hammaka HALO SE
    Tarp
    JRB 11X10
    Insulation
    My Poncho Pod
    Welcome to the site...not a HH owner...there are many here who are...but wanted to welcome you anyway...my first response was "Chunk the pad"...Underquilt is the way to go...but then like I said...I'm not a HH owner.
    Alex Williams
    Acts 10:13 "Arise Peter, Kill and Eat."
    Job 14:15 "Call upon Me and I shall answer you."
    Williams Custom Calls

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    Hey, welcome aboard.

I guess I must have beginner's luck because I used a cheap CCF in my HH without issues the first time I slept in the hammock. I roll around in my sleep too. It worked okay, but I still bought a quilt for the underside to use instead, or if it's really cold to use with the pad.

Hammock
    IO Double, GT Double, DIY
    Tarp
    Currently tarpless
    Insulation
    Experimenting
    Thanks everyone for the welcome and the encouragement. I do have an old down bag that I may try and modify for use as an UQ. Might try a DIY version of the SPE too. Most importantly, I think I just need more time in my hammock to get the hang of things (pun intended). It sure is helpful to get feedback from people who "have been there and done that". This forum is great!

• + New Posts