Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Shock pricing for the simplest items.

Up until now i have been happy with the pricing of most of the hammock gear i have seen, eg tarps and hammock, when tonight it came to looking to order a ridge line I was very angry at what I saw.
    I was going to buy a ridge line for my (in transit) tarp and i went to checkout when I saw that it was not only $28 for the product of 20ft of zingit and 2X dutch tarp flyz but $31 for postage? After looking around i thought Id just buy the tarp flyz and use my own guy line, sadly these were $15 for 2X Dutch tarp flyz and again $31 for postage of 4 grams of metal....
    After this I looked at there competition, nite ize with their knot bone system, they were cheaper at a pack of 8 for $5.50 but still charged $31 postage.

Is it just me or is there something really wrong here? I know people need to make a living and i respect that but i think this is a bit of a joke.

Hammock
    DIY tablecloth struc. ridgeline
    Tarp
    Noahs Tarp 12
    Insulation
    Blue WM pad
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by mattmacman View Post
    Up until now i have been happy with the pricing of most of the hammock gear i have seen, eg tarps and hammock, when tonight it came to looking to order a ridge line I was very angry at what I saw.
    I was going to buy a ridge line for my (in transit) tarp and i went to checkout when I saw that it was not only $28 for the product of 20ft of zingit and 2X dutch tarp flyz but $31 for postage? After looking around i thought Id just buy the tarp flyz and use my own guy line, sadly these were $15 for 2X Dutch tarp flyz and again $31 for postage of 4 grams of metal....
    After this I looked at there competition, nite ize with their knot bone system, they were cheaper at a pack of 8 for $5.50 but still charged $31 postage.

Is it just me or is there something really wrong here? I know people need to make a living and i respect that but i think this is a bit of a joke.
    Have you tried to ship internationally? I think the prices they are charging are close to break even. My wife sent some small items to a friend of hers in London from the U.S. The shipping cost was about $40 (and this was 10 yrs ago)

Hammock
    PapaSmurf Dangerbird
    Tarp
    MacCat DLX
    Insulation
    Sunshine
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    It should also be mentioned that many of the shopping carts that cottage industry folks use do not have really good set ups for international shipping. It may be worth contacting the shipper and find out if there is a different method to ship, an even better plan may be for you to do the research about a better method, and provide it to them when you speak to them. almost all of these guys and gals want nothing more for you to be happy.
    At sea, I learned how little a person needs, not how much.

– Robin Lee Graham

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mattmacman View Post

I don't know where $31 came from but if you pm me I will ship to you for free. I have been working on my shipping model to get the cost closer to the actual.
    Last edited by Dutch; 01-09-2012 at 11:06.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    WBBB Double 1.7
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Burrow,Yetti,WInc
    Suspension
    webbing/Dutchclips
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    I don't know where $31 came from but if you pm me I will ship to you for free. I have been working on my shipping model to get the cost closer to teh actual.
    Now that's "stand-up"! Good on you Dutch
    “He doesn't know the meaning of the word fear, but then again he doesn't know the meaning of most words”
    - Bobby Bowden

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Yay Dutch..........
    It is a longggg way to Perth from here!
    Shug
    Last edited by Shug; 01-09-2012 at 11:30.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Many carts are set up to ship one way with insurance and tracking etc. Talk to the company about a cheaper rate.
    Or find someone who will buy and ship for you.
    Dutch has offered the best deal.
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Jarbridge River UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Straps
    Way to be Dutch!

I can see some frustration at shipping costs, but I think the prices for the actual gear are fair. It's not simply twenty feet of line. There is splicing that goes into making the ridgelines that's not terribly easy with such small line. The work these guys put in is worth something. As for the tarp flyz, (if I'm not mistaken, and if I am correct me Dutch) they're made from titanium! Yes, they're small, but that's an expensive material, (unlike the plastic in nite ize products) and again a fair bit of work goes into machining those tiny little things.

FWIW, I don't think complaining about the prices is going to help. These cottage manufacturers do good work, and they can't always match the prices of larger companies (like nite ize). We support them because they're a part of our community here and we're proud of what they do. I buy from these guys because like someone said earlier, they care about making me happy, and Dutch offering to ship to you for FREE is a pretty good example of that ethic I think.

Anyway, I'm done.

Hammock
    WBB
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Baby Orca/Klymit
    Suspension
    straps/c buckles
    Images
    whenever I order something and the shipping seems outrageous,
    I always contact the vendor.
    Every one of them has been willing to oblige.

I just did it last night for some Lash it!.

Just call. People are willing to help.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

AT '12. AT '14. FT '15. CA '15.

Hey guys, I go to take a shower and I have a mutiny on my hands! I just received the message from Dutch about the free postage and i was extremely impressed by his offer, just goes to show the caring folk here on the forum. As for the prices I do agree about the actual product, I didn't exactly word my words well, I will contact the vendor next time about lowering the price of the postage to suit the item, thanks for the suggestion! Fortunately I found another store that sold me the Dutch Buckles and the Dutch Tarp Flyze with $5 postage! Thanks again to Dutch and sorry if I offended anyone that was most definitely not the intention of my post!

PS- Ordered my whole setup tonight

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast