Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Questions about bottom Entry

I just got a HH Explorer for Christmas, which is an amazing present and I'm thrilled. Except it's the bottom entry model. I've got 2 3/4 length UQs (one Zmad made, and 1 I won at the fall hang) and am concerned they won't work well with the bottom entry. So I have two questions before I open my hammock or figure out what to do with it.

1) What are the benefits of bottom entry vs. zippered/side entry?

2) Will bottom entry work with a 3/4 length UQ or will it be a total nightmare?

As a side question, depending on the answers to the above questions.... Anyone want to trade an explorer for an explorer zip?

Note: The hammock was bought from REI, which while normally great works poorly in this case since REI doesn't appear to carry the zip version.

Thanks!

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Word is, REI is closing out their HH stock, which explains why they don't have the side-zip models.

1. Side entry is generally easier to deal with and less of a pain...for most. The bottom entry's biggest asset, and it's a big one, is its ability to better deal with flying and biting bugs. The bottom entry seals much quicker, therefore letting in fewer nasties.

2. Partial UQs can work, but not without a price. Like doing the 'pad-dance' in a bottom entry, using partial length UQs can be made reasonable with enough practice. Far from ideal, but can work.

Solution: send it to 2QZQ for a mod. The price is very fair and the results are great. If it were my hammock, I would leave the bottom entry in place and get one of the zipper mods to go with it. Best of both worlds.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    I have used my Phoenix on many a night with my bottom entry Expedition. Not really a huge problem. It did work and i was quite well insulated. That being said, I find all my other zip hammocks (including my Explorer) are much easier at allowing me to adjust said insulation.

Go the route of 2QZQ and get the best of both worlds! Or try your hand at DIY (as I will with my Expedition) and put in your own zipper.

And that's what you get for taking your time with a response. What Cannibal said!!!
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    I gotta agree with the previous comments as well.

I bought a BE-HHED, and I LOVE IT.

I don't have a UQ for it, as I use (at least for now) the HHSS with it.

And I'll say that the BE has several things going for it. It's FAR easier to get into when you've got your tarp pitched low and tight to keep the wind and rain out. It's a real quick entry method that keeps the bugs out very, very well.

The recommendation to send it off to 2QZQ for a zipper mod is the best thing you could do. I just got mine back from them (had mod #4 done on it)...the work is OUTSTANDING, the customer service and communication was top-notched, and I'm totally happy with having taken this step.

I know that I'll be using the heck out of the side-entry when I've got my tarp in porch mode. I'd have fewer reservations about switching to UQ down the road now, since it should be much easier to adjust and manage.

One other thought to consider...I think that KAQ makes a UQ (the Patomac?) that is designed specifically for the BE Hennessy.

You could consider selling/trading one of yours for one of those.

Where there's a will...there's a way.

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    I had my Hennessys modded by 2QZQ but the UQ really wasn't the motivating factor. Generally you can get into and out of a bottom entry HH by just pushing the UQ out of the way. UQs are almost always suspended by bungees so you can move them and then they snap back into position.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 or BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Tewa, Speer, H.G.
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Solution: send it to 2QZQ for a mod. The price is very fair and the results are great. If it were my hammock, I would leave the bottom entry in place and get one of the zipper mods to go with it. Best of both worlds.
    +1 exactly what I will be doing shortly.
    "In seed time learn, in harvest teach, in winter enjoy." -D'Signore's, Tide Mill Farm, Edmunds, Maine.

Hammock
    Hennessy Safari, Eno Doublenest
    Insulation
    Homemade Undrquilt
    The ability to stand up in the bottom entry and turn around and sit down without the fear of flipping over backward is really nice, especially when you are slipping boots off or something like that. I use a homemade UQ with my Safari Deluxe, and it works just fine. For Pete's sake man get that hammock opened and give it a try. That's truly the only way you will find out if it "works" for you.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    Balloons
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Fig View Post
    The ability to stand up in the bottom entry and turn around and sit down without the fear of flipping over backward is really nice, especially when you are slipping boots off or something like that. I use a homemade UQ with my Safari Deluxe, and it works just fine. For Pete's sake man get that hammock opened and give it a try. That's truly the only way you will find out if it "works" for you.
    +1

Just try it. You have little to lose by opening it. All you have to do is to get the zipper mod if you need that. You can certainly use your hammock as it is. I used a Hennessy Expedition for years with no mods at all. They do work. We're just arguing about optimum convenience.
    I love the unimproved works of God. - Horace Kephart

Hammock
    HH, CJH NX-250, WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Std, Hex, or WBSF
    Insulation
    Burrows&Incubators
    Suspension
    Poly web w/AHE buc

Another hint:

Set your hang so that the foot end is a bit higher than the head end. This will cause you to naturally slide away from the bottom opening. If your 3/4 UQ is adjusted just so it will keep your butt to your shoulders warm.

Jim

Hammock
    DH Thunderbird
    Tarp
    Toxaway 2QZQ doors
    Insulation
    JRB Nest
    Suspension
    DH cinch buckles
    A JRB Nest works great w/my bottom entry HH. Their website explains the design well.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast