WBBB
    Tarp
    HG 12' Dyneema
    Insulation
    UGQ Top, WB Bottom
    Suspension
    Turtle, 2" Spider

Howdy from Ohio

Hello, I'm Jason. I've become interested in hammocks after watching Shug talk about them. Mmhm, That Shug's a funny feller. Sleeping on the ground is becoming more and more difficult for me. I have a neck/shoulder injuries from dropping my 87 lb canoe on my head twice and wrecking my bicycle. If I sleep on my right side while on the ground, which I tend to do, the morning is unbearable. I'm thinking a hammock is the way to go. I've spent 30 hours or more researching various hammocks. (Thanks to all you folks who provide info and opinions here. I'm having a hard time making a side by side comparison of features, weight, length, etc. Is there anything on this site that shows info side by side? Maybe a spreadsheet or something?
    If not what would you suggest for someone who is 6'1", 210lbs, likes sleeping on his back, doesn't want to spend more than $200 for bug net/hammock/tarp, and as always weight is a factor. I'll be using this in Southern Ohio (east and west), The Smokies, and in The Weminuche Wilderness in CO next summer (hopefully below tree line).
    I like the idea of the bug net being separate from the hammock. Right now I'm leaning toward the Eno DoubleNest plus Big Daddy tarp and bug net from WildernessLogics. Two sites I only found by searching through these forums. Thanks!!
    Does that set-up make sense or do you have something else in mind for me?
    Thanks again!
    Jason
    PS. Sorry if this is too long or in the wrong spot. Please post questions if I need to answer some.

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    Hello and Welcome to the Forums from Canada! Seems you have some good ideas of what to look for gear wise. Lucky enough you really cannot go wrong with the cottage vendors here!
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl xlc
    Tarp
    HG cuben
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch bkls
    Welcome Vonzo1974 from a fellow buckeye, sure do enjoy the Loveland bike path, should be logging some miles there come spring.

Good luck with your search, going to hammock sure has done well for my neck/back aches and pains. If you're interesting in seeing some different hammocks and gear, you might consider coming up to Mohican for the day on the weekend of Jan 21st for the group hang. Details are on the events calendar and the folks are friendly and helpful.

David

Hammock
    BIAS
    Tarp
    HG cuban
    Insulation
    Baby Orca UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    I have kin-folk there in Loveland! Welcome from GA!!

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Luke's LB HG hex
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    SlingRings/Straps
    Images
    Welcome to the group. Dayton area here, come on out to an Ohio hang sometime.
    "He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Please check out the link below to show your love for hammocks!www.zazzle.com/hammocklife

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    My Homemade Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY IX
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Welcome from a fellow Buckeye!

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Whooooo Buddy....best to you on your search.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    RidgeRunner/DoubleNest/DIY Gathered
    Tarp
    Cloudburst/Noah's
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies/Tog
    I can't speak to the tarp or the bug net, but I love my ENO DN. I found Shug's videos on you tube, and after watching the "newbie seminar" ran straight to REI and bought the ENO. Luckily my haste worked out great! It's extremely comfortable, and user friendly for a noob. Plenty of room, and lays very well. Eventually, you will want to make a couple of mods. First, loose those heavy stinkin' biners that come with it (they're holding up my daughters swing). Next, cut of that stupid webbing strap and buckle on the bag that serves no purpose whatsoever (my daughter used it as a step the first day I had the hammock and tore it off for me, luckily the stitching gave way and didn't harm the bag). Last, cut out those thick heavy ropes, and either replace with Amsteel, or get a set of Whoopies, and larkshead them right to the hammock. Overall, it makes for a very light weight, and comfy set up! Good luck with whatever you choose!
    "God, grant me the serenity to accept the places I cannot hang,
    Courage to hang in the places I can, (but probably shouldn’t)
    And wisdom to know the difference."

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"

Hammock
    Traveler 1.1 sl/WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/Standard
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Dynaglide whoopies
    Images
    Hey buddy, welcome from central ohio! You gotta make it out for a hang sometime. We got a great helpful group of hanger from ohio and going to hangs is the best way to learn about gear and try it out.

Obviously you're looking for a hiking set up and you want to stay light for the sake of your back. A great option for you would be a simple warbonnet traveler 1.7 single layer for $60 or 1.1 dbl for $75 if your planning to use a pad. Even pad users almost always go to underquilts eventually. Warbonnet also sells an exterior net for $65 (I believe) or you could ever go lighter and papa smurf, an ohio hanger makes bug socks out of tulle, for $50 (I believe) and should come in at around 2.5oz.

A tarp for your price range could be any silnylon tarp. OES, warbonnet, wilderness logics are all great companys. OES will even customize for you if you'd like. ANY questions you may have feel free to shoot me a PM.

Tomorrow me and 4 other hangers will be at zaleski camp H/3 if you wanna make the hike out and hangout and check out set ups.

welcome from Columbus buddy

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast