Hammock
    Warbonnet XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie/Costco TopQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Ring Buckle

Lawson Blue Ridge Hammocks for $29.98 on Scoutstuff site!

[Mods, if I'm breaking some kind of rule here, please help me out.]

I know these aren't popular here--I went back and looked at most of the old posts. But for $29.98 new?

I'm a Chrysalis guy, myself, that's why it caught my eye. But I see now that it is not a true bridge.

Slickdeals folks say the site is legit: http://slickdeals.net/f/3805796-Laws...Amazon-is-139?

Added: UPS Ground Shipping is additional $7.50.

I'm in for one.

Most of my friends have NO gear and I'm intrigued by the bivy potential.
    Last edited by chrislrob; 01-10-2012 at 07:06. Reason: Forgot to add shipping costs.

Hammock
    GT Single
    Tarp
    Henny Hex 70D
    Insulation
    DIY Peapod
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps
    Man that's an awesome deal. I wish I would of seen that before I purchased my hammock, don't get me wrong I like my GT single so far but I kinda wanted a bridge just don't have the money. Heck I may buy one just to check it out.
    Desiel®
    Hanging Noob
    "If you can't change it, don't worry about it."
    -Me

“All you need is 20 seconds and insane courage, and I promise you something great will come of it.”

Hammock
    Warbonnet XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie/Costco TopQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Ring Buckle
    Yeah, but it's not really a bridge, either.

What it is, is a hammock tent that can supposedly function as a bivy on the ground. For $40.00 out the door, I gotta try it.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Double
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Yeti 20* UQ

Not worth it

This was the first hammock i tried. Not worth it at any price. Really.

Hammock
    DangerBird 72, GT Double, SBP, UL
    Tarp
    Kelty & Chinook
    Insulation
    AHE TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Whoopies
    Thanks for the link. i ordered one this morning. Been wanting to give a jungle-style hammock a try and this one looks like it has possibilities.

Curt
    <a href="http://www.curtmoorephotos.com/new-window.php" target="_blank">Curt's Photos</a>
    <a href="http://www.youtube.com/user/scubacat217?feature=mhee/new-window.php" target="_blank">Curt's YouTube Channel</a>

I'm not finding it.. the link sends me to a page giving info about the product with a link to the scouts page, where it says 404 error page not found.. I'm trying to get one of these things

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis &amp; Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lvnv1212 View Post
    Not worth it at any price. Really.
    I wouldn't go that far, but I wouldn't be all that far behind either.

I have one that I purchased for experimentation...and I like having a variety of hammocks on hand.

Basically, this is a backyard (American) style hammock that has been constructed with materials more appropriate for hiking and a bivy structure incorporated. This is probably the only hammock I own (not counting a few duplicates) that I have never slept in for a full night. To start with, it is an incredibly 'tippy' hammock and that's coming from a fella who has gotten in and out of a few hammocks over the years. It is much more narrow than its backyard cousins, making the tippiness all that more pronounced. Assuming you manage to get into it, getting situated makes the HH pad-dance a thing of joy by comparison. Then, you get to experience the comfort of it. Just my opinion, but a bean-bag is cheaper and about twice the comfort. Oh yeah, the entrance is made for Oompa Loompas size wise, so there is that.

But, let's assume Cannibal is just a cranky SO*; it happens. Maybe I'm way off about the tippy nature and the comfort. Fine. You still have to pack it! I found the support rods for the 'bivy' very awkward. In point of fact, I couldn't get the dang thing back into the bag it came in. It's still in a pile in the gear room. That doesn't even take into account the weight of the whole thing.

The last issue I had with it is obviously a matter of preference and to be completely honest, I didn't spend much time trying to figure a way to accomplish it, but forget about using an underquilt. Pretty sure this thing was designed for very warm weather use, or the use of a pad system for insulation. Not my style; Cannibal rolls with down.

I was left unimpressed with its design. Construction seemed OK, but nothing impressive when compared to the other options out there.

All that said, it still isn't the worst hammock I've bought. Some of the more...uhh...seasoned members here may remember my flirtation with a Blue Parrot outdoor hammock. I can see some folks (my money says smaller folks) getting some pleasure from this Lawson rig, but I suspect they will be small in number too.

Still, for $30? It's a hammock and I promise you the materials that went into it cost more than $30...just the materials! If you have kids, they will likely love it. Cause let's face it, it really does look kind of cool. Don't totally write it off at this price, but don't get your expectations too awful high either.

And no, mine isn't for sale. It serves as a reminder that not all things that sparkle are gold.
    Trust nobody!

The poles on the end are hollow no? possible to run cord through and stake out for stability?

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis &amp; Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Slo View Post
    The poles on the end are hollow no? possible to run cord through and stake out for stability?
    I don't want to say with certainty, because I just haven't spent much time with this hammock given my initial impressions, but yes, I believe they are hollow. Staking the hammock out would most certainly enhance the stability, but I'd be very concerned with the stakes themselves pulling out and becoming projectiles. Might be better tying off to a nearby tree or something. Didn't think about that.
    Trust nobody!

Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    I don't want to say with certainty, because I just haven't spent much time with this hammock given my initial impressions, but yes, I believe they are hollow. Staking the hammock out would most certainly enhance the stability, but I'd be very concerned with the stakes themselves pulling out and becoming projectiles. Might be better tying off to a nearby tree or something. Didn't think about that.
    tying off to the tree is actually what I was thinking even though if you put the stakes in at a 45* angle with points pointing towards you and situate them diagonal up and out from your head and feet, stakes may work. But I think it'd be easier to run some type of line and figure 9 it on either side around the base of the tree. between that and the suspension line it would really stabilize the hammock.. in theory

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast