Hammock
    WBB
    Tarp
    Superfly w/doors
    Insulation
    Flamethrower UQ

TX-150 Review

Hey guys,
    I've seen several posts about NX-150's and 250's and thought it would be a good time to talk about my experience with the TX-150 I purchased around August. I bought this hammock as a winter hammock, where previously I used my WBBB and a Superfly, now I use this and replaced the superfly with a Hammock Gear cuben fiber tarp with out doors (love it too!). I never liked tarp doors, they always got in the way, and I always felt like I would be much happier with just a cover over the bugnet.

First I'll start with the bad news: Weight! But if you own or are considering an NX, that's nothing new, weighs about the same. I will say that when comparing to a 1 man tent its still in the same ball park, but when compared to my WBBB the difference is about 1 lb and for an UL / SUL hiker, that's a lot.

Pro's-
    -Weather Shield- its awesome and believe it eliminates the need for a tarp w/ doors in windy conditions, so if you're comparing something like the superfly to the big mamba jamba, saves you about 6 oz out of that 1 lb premium you're carrying. Also, the area around your head unzips too, unlike the NX which helps keep the condensation down if you're using the weather shield.
    -Pockets, and this is something you should consider if you're looking at the NX series. It has 4 pockets, 2 at the head, and 2 at the foot. I really like this b/c one the pockets are awesome for staying organized, and two they are spaced perfectly to put a 3/4 underquilt there and still retain the use / insulation of the pockets. I used my flamethrower UQ (16 oz) and it fit perfectly (if even a tad longer than needed) between the pockets and still got the benefit of a full UQ when stuffing the two end pockets with all my gear (compared to me taking the JRB no Sniveller, saves 6 oz).
    -Lastly, compared to the WBBB, I love having a bugnet that I can completely unzip, didn't think it was a big deal when i got the WB, but coming from an ENO, it was something I really missed.

Overall, I gave the NX a hard look but after doing the homework I figured I typically don't carry enough gear to pack out all 6 pockets to realize the insulation benefits, and that they would have made the hammock too warm for the hot summers here in the southeast. When they offered the TX, I was one of the first people to order one, and have been very happy with it. For summer use I would still prefer something lighter, but for late fall, winter, and spring I feel the penalty is minimal and well worth it for the benefits provided.

I believe I got the first TX-250. I love it.

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    I, too, am mostly using a Tropical this winter, with an UQ mostly fitting between the pairs of pockets. Big fan of the weathershield (WS) for draft stopping, even in clear and still weather. Tiring not only of condensation, but also my own breath, I rarely use the WS zipped past the last bend at the shoulders. I doubt my body would be warmer that way. A Grundens cowl work well for head and neck coverage,

• + New Posts