Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Thinlight pad
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremy.fox50 View Post
    Why bottom over side? It seems to me that your feet could slip out in a bottom entry!
    I have far more problems getting the bottom slit to open intentionally than I do with it opening accidentally. Not that it couldn't happen, and not that there aren't other positives associated with side entry, but fear of falling out the bottom shouldn't be a huge concern.

Mine was bottom entry originally, but I had a zipper put in. I could have, for a small additional charge, had the bottom sewn shut, but I did not. Certainly I would have if I thought slipping out was a concern, but as it is, my hammock now has the best of both worlds.

Hammock
    HH UL bpk
    Tarp
    Winter Haven
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    I think the standard recommendation is to get the bottom entry and mod it for winter use. Like Rob3E, I find I have more trouble opening the bottom (especially in the 'wee' hours) than I've ever had with accidental openings.

Hammock
    Hennesey Hyperlite side zip
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Cat
    Insulation
    DIY undercover
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I have a Hennasey Hyper Light side zip. I love it My son uses a eno with acheap tarp and is happy with it. He is young and can carry the extra weight!
    The only downfall to hammocks is the cold! The comfort and lack of pain in the morning is great! Bye the time you get done upgrading a eno you might as well bye the Hennessey!

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy.fox50 View Post
    Ok that is probably a good idea. The thing is, I don't want to get overwhelmed with choices, or else ALL my time will go to hammocks and I'll neglect my real world responsibilities...:-P. Do you have any brands that you recommend?
    thought I have not used one, I have seen them in use and up close, wilderness logics Lite Owl hammock would be my choice, but everyone is different. I currently have an ENO DBL and LOVE IT. Almost don't want to upgrade since I have my quilt so dialed in, but the only improvements I would want on it, the Lite Owl has.

Quote Originally Posted by KAW View Post
    I have a Hennasey Hyper Light side zip. I love it My son uses a eno with acheap tarp and is happy with it. He is young and can carry the extra weight!
    The only downfall to hammocks is the cold! The comfort and lack of pain in the morning is great! Bye the time you get done upgrading a eno you might as well bye the Hennessey!
    ?? My ENO dbl cost me about $55. I was actually given whoopies but they cost around $15. Also cut off the webbing and buckles on it, now very lightweight. $70. I'm not sure what a HH cost but I'm pretty sure it's more expensive than 70 bucks and you'll probably still upgrade to whoopies or webbing over the rope suspension on HH. Personally I'd rather have the extra $130 to spend ona tarp from one of the venders here. Again, I think it comes down to "what fits" you best. What Cannible said is true, there are several options, it's worth looking them over instead of buying one quickly and 2 weeks from now finding out about some other hammock with even more bells and whistles that you just have to have.

I'd go watch Shug's beginner hammock videos and give you an idea of what it's about and then you can get an idea of what'll be good for YOU.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Slo View Post
    ?? My ENO dbl cost me about $55. I was actually given whoopies but they cost around $15. Also cut off the webbing and buckles on it, now very lightweight. $70. I'm not sure what a HH cost but I'm pretty sure it's more expensive than 70 bucks and you'll probably still upgrade to whoopies or webbing over the rope suspension on HH.
    Ah yes, but don't forget, to compete with a Hennessy an ENO will need a bugnet too; ENO's is $55 and Warbonnet's is $65.
    Still not the price of a new Hennessy, but you'll also still need a tarp.
    Trust nobody!

Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Ah yes, but don't forget, to compete with a Hennessy an ENO will need a bugnet too; ENO's is $55 and Warbonnet's is $65.
    Still not the price of a new Hennessy, but you'll also still need a tarp.
    touche sir

Hammock
    Hennesey Hyperlite side zip
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Cat
    Insulation
    DIY undercover
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Touchy, I have to admit there is nothing wrong with my sons eno. It for sure beats sleepin on the ground. I got a super deal on my Hennesey Hyperlight Brand new. Way below retail so I was fourtunate.
    I have found with backpacking gear lighter cost much more. I have over the last few years been upgrading my gear going lighter all the time! It would have been cheaper if I had shelled out the extra cash in the begining.
    Then again some of my cheaper gear got me backpacking again.
    Depends how we look at it!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow & Incubator
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    I have both an ENO DN and the HH (bottom entry). I got the HH first for camping, and later bought the ENO for lounging in the back yard. My first reaction to the ENO was "this isn't as comfortable as the HH." After using the ENO to lounge in, and then doing a few inside nights sleeping in it, I went back to the HH and thought "this isn't as comfortable as the ENO." They definitely feel different, and I'm not sure which I objectively like better. But, I sleep comfortably in both of them.

I agree with others that you shouldn't worry about falling out of the bottom entry. In my experience, you have to try to get out of there. I'd also ad that while you can lounge in the bottom entry, it's not nearly as comfortable (to me, at least) as it is in the ENO.

It's not so bad to have both in the long run. But, if I were you, the HH with bug netting and tarp (both of which you'll need anyhow for your hike) just seems to be more relevant to what you need NOW. Will the ENO DN work for you? Yes, but only after you buy a separate bug net and a tarp, which raises the price considerably if you're buying retail. So, be sure to compare apples to apples...

chip

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.0
    Tarp
    WBBMJ
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, HG Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I was in much the same dilemma as you when I first contemplated switching to a hammock from my tent. I hadn't yet found this site, but I knew REI was a fairly short drive away. REI does have a good return policy, and thier dividend program is good as well. I looked around on there, and decided I was going to go with a Hennessy.

However, before I took the plunge, I simply googled "Hennessy Hammock reviews", and came upon hammock forums. It's been downhill ever since

I ended up going with a Warbonnet Blackbird (WBBB) and Warbonnet Big MambaJamba (BMJ). This is not because I felt the Hennessy to be a bad setup. On the contrary, for a new hanger, they're probably the most obvious choice, as they come with the hammock, suspension, bugnet, and tarp as a complete system, and they get good reviews. What ultimatley sold me on the Warbonnet was the shelf, zippered bugnet (REI didn't have the Hennessy zip yet) and the footbox.

I know you don't want to have to sort through a ton of choices, but the point is, a full first time setup can get pricey no matter which way you look at it, so it may be better to read through various thread on here, and as is always recommended, watch Shug's and others' videos.

If it were me, and I needed a full setup quickly, from a brick-and-mortar store, at a reasonable price, I would go with the Hennessy, but be prepared to upgrade the tarp or practice hanging the tarp in different conditions until you're comfortable it will keep you dry when you need it to.

For the record, I am extremely happy with my Blackbird, and have no plans to replace it with anything else for a 3-season setup. I plan on simply making my own hammock for winter, without the bugnet sometime in the near future.
    Mike, Backcountry Mentor
    https://backcountrymentor.com
    Check me out on YouTube!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuhqpe2xIWBXRVtpB5dxAJA

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast