Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sewing help needed!

I bought a Singer 185K. It was made in 1958 and is in great shape. My problem is that the thread keeps getting bundled up in the needle. I've tried adjusting my tension on it with no luck.

Any ideas?

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    When was its last tune up?

Hammock
    DIY Wbbb Clone
    Tarp
    12x10 Cat cut DIY
    Suspension
    Ring Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tnoisaw View Post
    I bought a Singer 185K. It was made in 1958 and is in great shape. My problem is that the thread keeps getting bundled up in the needle. I've tried adjusting my tension on it with no luck.

Any ideas?
    Is it getting bundled up right at the needle or on the top or bottem of the fabric?
    Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time. ~Steven Wright

Hammock
    My DIY 10.5'X5' speer style
    Tarp
    PW 10X12 Cathedral
    Insulation
    PW Comforter Quilt
    Suspension
    1"poly webbing
    Images
    what are you sewing? It could be sticky fabric, or you could have a sticky needle. Also, the thread may be to big for the needle (it shouldn't as long as they are normal thrad and needle though). Just some thoughts, clean everything.

Dwight
    Psalm 19:1-3 "The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge. There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard."

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Try a brand spanking new needle. Sometimes old needles get burrs which will shred the thread, not always enough to break it but enuf to bunch it up.

Thread can also be funky. My wife has had trouble with certain color thread and times. Try a different spool of thread if changing the needle doesn't help.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    I was having the same problem, especially when using generic velcro, but I also was using thread made for quilting instead of all purpose. Changing to really good thread made a big difference. Mule
    Predictions are risky, especially when it comes to the future.

Images
    Perhaps you should take the machine into a shop and have them check it out. I am not sure if you are an experienced seamster or not, but if not, they can help identify the problem. Those old machines are solid; when I took mine in for a tune up, it hadn't been turned on for at least 35-40 years. Yet, when I got it back from the tune-up, it runs fine.

My tune-up cost $50. Worth every penny.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    I would also suggest changing to a better quality thread. I use Guttermans available a Jo Anns Fabrics. Needles will also make a big difference. I use Singer brand needles.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    DIY 1.3 Ripstop Nylon
    Tarp
    DIY 8x10 Silnylon
    Insulation
    ccfPAD WM Highlite
    When I first started sewing, I had this problem. I was making a few mistakes. I was using double sided tape to hold the pieces of fabric together. This was making the needle sticky so that the thread couldn't slide through. Also, I was using bad thread and that was causing another problem. Finally, the hole of one of my needles was too small, and that caused a problem one time. If it isn't one of these...I'm no help. Thats all I've got. Good Luck!
    God Bless,
    Kyle
    [email protected]

"Fearless warriors in a picket fence, reckless abandon wrapped in common sense
    Deep water faith in the shallow end and we are caught in the middle
    With eyes wide open to the differences, the God we want and the God who is
    But will we trade our dreams for His or are we caught in the middle" - Casting Crowns

Wow! thanks for all the replies.

When was its last tune up?
    I was told it was tuned up before I bought it via ebay. The person I bought from had a very high rating so I, “assume” she is ok.

Is it getting bundled up right at the needle or on the top or bottom of the fabric?
    It gets bundled right at the needle. I'm starting to wonder if I'm threading the machine wrong. It didn't come with a manual.

What are you sewing? It could be sticky fabric, or you could have a sticky needle. Also, the thread may be to big for the needle (it shouldn't as long as they are normal thrad and needle though). Just some thoughts, clean everything.
    I am sewing cordura (through two layers), using E69 thread (military rating-made for heavy material) and a new needle sized for the fabric.

Perhaps you should take the machine into a shop and have them check it out. I am not sure if you are an experienced seamster or not, but if not, they can help identify the problem. Those old machines are solid; when I took mine in for a tune up, it hadn't been turned on for at least 35-40 years. Yet, when I got it back from the tune-up, it runs fine.
    Experianced? Sure I am. I made a couple pillows when I was in junior high in the early 70's. Does that count?
    Tune up. I may have to do that.
    Last edited by tnoisaw; 05-28-2008 at 12:30.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast