WBBB DL 1.1 & 1.7
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG Incbtr-AH Potmc
    Suspension
    WB Adj Web
    Images
    Packeagle is correct. While I prefer my hammock, I'm not about to let any hammock failure, fiddle, etc. stop me from getting some good fresh air!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly,HG CUBEN
    Insulation
    Yeti and Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Jcavenagh View Post
    Cold Butt Syndrome (CBS) is one of the biggest differences between hammock and tent. Insulation underneath you is a bit more difficult in a hammock. There is a lot of information on this site about ways to insulate your underside. You can do it very cheaply with closed cell foam pads and you can do it very expensively with some of the underquilt or peapod type systems. There is a whole range of different under side insulation methods at all different prices.
    Actually I find opposite, I've found it easier to keep warm underneath myself in my hammock than in my tent.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Cold-butt-syndrome can be a problem even in a tent without proper insulation under you.

You probably will not save on weight over a tent but you will have a better nights sleep and more oportunites to set up your hammock than a tent.

Like others have said, test your setup so you know how to use it and what works (or doesn't ) for you.

If you are not having fun then you are doing something wrong.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Tents cut me off from the woods. All zipped up.
    In a rainstorm I lay or sit in my hammock under a tarp and cook and just watch the rain. Catch a breeze.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner76 View Post
    Cold-butt-syndrome can be a problem even in a tent without proper insulation under you.

You probably will not save on weight over a tent but you will have a better nights sleep and more oportunites to set up your hammock than a tent.

Like others have said, test your setup so you know how to use it and what works (or doesn't ) for you.

If you are not having fun then you are doing something wrong.
    people sleeping in shelters left the trail because of the cold under. i was toasty.
    "Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    Balloons
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Servo View Post
    Greetings from Sweden.

I was seeking tips and trix about how to set up an ultra-light camping gear when i stumbled upon this forum.

The more i read the more i want to sell my old tent and buy a hammock and tarp.
    All i find is people who speaks for hammocking and little to none against.
    I think i understand all the advantages of hammocking vs tenting.
    But what are the down sides?

What is potentially the advantages a tent can provide that ha hammock can not?

Dont get me wrong, i am going to bring a hammock (DIY) and tarp to try my 2 month hiking semester along with my "backup-system"
    (tent poles for the tarp and a blowup sleeping matras)

/A curious Swed
    Good questions. A tent is a bug-free zone which rests on the ground. It can be quite nice. It will usually mass 2 kilos at least. Comfortable sleeping results from also using an air mattress which masses 1/2 to 1 kilo. A camp cot masses three times that, but is very comfortable. It all depends on the goals you have for your outdoor experience.
    I love the unimproved works of God. - Horace Kephart

I sleep on the ground much more than I hang. One reason: I get to sleep with my wife. We share a double sleeping bag.

And we can play cribbage if the weather is crappy in a bug free space. And we can spread out our stuff in a protected area.

Hanging is nice and if I was going solo I'd probably hammock. But I have no issues on the ground. It's all about the pad...

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    It all depends on how you travel. Tents have their merits, and actually, my (very spacious for 1) Tarptent is as light as my hammock setup. If you are travelling with another person, a 2-person tent can be lighter than 2 hammock setups. 2 hammocks provide more privacy, though (if the other person is not your girl-/boyfriend/wife/husband).

If the weather is bad or if it's buggy, I don't mind hanging in my hammock during the day to pass the time. But again, with another person, a tent might be the better choice.

I also found that a tent provides more privacy and "security" for your stuff. I mostly use campgrounds and do some exploring of the surroundings while leaving my stuff at the camp. With a tent, I can put everything out of sight (although it would still be easy enough for a thief to open it and take what they want). With the hammock, I would need to put everything in plain sight under the tarp, or in my hammock (don't like the latter). I had a dog steal a bottle of vinegar from me, which I didn't put in the tent. Kids also like to explore, but probably won't open strange tents.

The curiosity factor can be annoying at times. If you travel with a tent, hardly anybody will look twice. With a hammock, you will be the star of the campsite. Everybody will watch you, and lots of people will drop by to find out how this unusual tent works. I mostly like it, because it's an easy way to get to talk to people when you're travelling solo. But there were times, when I wished they would just leave me alone, e.g. when you just arrive at the campground exhausted and late; it's going to be dark soon, and you simply want to take a shower, eat something and sleep

With a tent, you are more versatile when travelling in the civilization, since you will have to bring a pad or the likes; if somebody offers you to sleep in their living room, a pad might come in handy (e.g. if the couch is short). An underquilt would not be that useful

And of course there is the issue of always having to find two trees with the right distance. On my trips I found it easier to find an acceptable tent-space than 2 trees suitable for a hammock.

Considering experience with regular "tents"
    when wandering and camping (like i will do this summer) this far i usaly bring only a tarp that has open ends, a 2x2 meters quilted wool "square cape" that serves as my blanket/sleepingpad and it works for me.
    The ground can be hard but that don't rely bother me, falling asleep on the floor without anything "soft" hasn't been a problem.
    The main reason im considering hammocks is because when it rains, a tarp without anything more then cloth under me tends to get me soaked even thou i got rain protection (from above) :P
    But i will be trying it out a night or two in the woods nearby some day when it gets a little bit warmer outside (-3 Celsius right now)

/In Sweden, finding suitable trees usually aint a problem, thou the trees you find can be upp to about 1 meter in diameter wich makes me need tree straps thats abit longer i think.

Images
    Some find the movement of hanging troublesome to get to sleep. Yes it's super comfortable but they just can't get to sleep.
    This is usually fixed with several nights hanging in the backyard so your mind can get use to the motion.

The other down side is initial cost of good (GOOD) equipment.
    DIYing is fine to save a few dollars but can introduce elements of discomfort/setup hassles which might turn you away from this hobby.

Best of luck hope you can get it all worked out.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast