DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Good stuff Mike. Hillbilly, yes, but who cares. Plus you'll sleep nice an warm on cold windy winter nights. With your eyes closed you can't tell the difference between Tyvek and Cuben.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I made some Tyvek GrizzBeaks recently, but won't post anything till I make the second set and perform some outdoor testing. My dimensions are quite different from yours 'cause I'm using them with my 10' x 10' Grand Trunk Funky Forest Tarp, which is a very odd-shaped tarp.

I think this is a fine use of Tyvek - in fact, I recently came upon a HF post from HitchHiking in Australia where he sells Tyvek tarps. Remarkably, the Tyvek weighs less than the SilNylon tarps he also sells. Check out the weights at:

http://www.terrarosagear.com/tarpshelters.htm

I agree that Tyvek gets a lot of disrespect. It ain't Cuben fiber ('cause it's more durable?) but it apparently weighs less than SilNylon! I've long had an interest in Tyvek due to its durability, but anyone who mentions it as tarp material gets flamed by those who think it's unsuitable. I always find this hard to believe because I've been using a 7' x 7' piece of Tyvek as a gear tarp for years, and my gear has never gotten wet.

Perhaps Tyvek will find its niche as tarp doors or Grizz Beaks.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutch Asym Xenon
    Suspension
    Whoopies/UHMWPE
    Brilliant! I had thought of doing just that. I have one caternary tarp out of Tyvek (plans are here on HF somewhere) and love it. It is so light I bring it as a secondary tarp (set high to keep water off my fire) or emergency groundsheet if I need to go to ground. And I wouldn't cry if it got a hole in it.

I notice it is new looking. Recommend putting it in the dryer (lowest heat) with a shoe and it will be a little softer and cut down on the crinkle factor (unless that is meant to keep the local critters away from your friendly tarp door holder).
    Please enter your signature here.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutch Asym Xenon
    Suspension
    Whoopies/UHMWPE
    A second thought I've had is if anyone has tried a tarp door that doesn't split (a third wall more than a door). My idea is that when you locate your tarp you will usually have the wind from one dominant direction. By placing the door on the side getting the wind first it is assumed you would naturally only use the other opening anyway, so the split is unnecessary. It would also likely be easier to design, and would need no connector at the door split bottom.

Has this been tried?
    Please enter your signature here.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I agree that Tyvek gets a lot of disrespect. It ain't Cuben fiber ('cause it's more durable?) but it apparently weighs less than SilNylon! I've long had an interest in Tyvek due to its durability, but anyone who mentions it as tarp material gets flamed by those who think it's unsuitable. I always find this hard to believe because I've been using a 7' x 7' piece of Tyvek as a gear tarp for years, and my gear has never gotten wet.
    Really? 'cause I've never seen any flame posts about that on HF. Not to say it couldn't/didn't happen, but usually folks here are kinder and gentler than that.

Nice doors! Good use of local materials.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Suspension
    NCAA
    Very Nice, I wish I could sew anything at all.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by Hangandy View Post
    A second thought I've had is if anyone has tried a tarp door that doesn't split (a third wall more than a door). My idea is that when you locate your tarp you will usually have the wind from one dominant direction. By placing the door on the side getting the wind first it is assumed you would naturally only use the other opening anyway, so the split is unnecessary. It would also likely be easier to design, and would need no connector at the door split bottom.

Has this been tried?
    Gotta get the hammock suspension through there somehow, Andy.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    WBBB/DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    IX/MW3, Mamba TQ
    Suspension
    Custom 2 RL
    Could have a small cut up top for it if you keep a consistant location for suspension relative to the tarp.

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I made some Tyvek GrizzBeaks recently, but won't post anything till I make the second set and perform some outdoor testing. My dimensions are quite different from yours 'cause I'm using them with my 10' x 10' Grand Trunk Funky Forest Tarp, which is a very odd-shaped tarp.

I think this is a fine use of Tyvek - in fact, I recently came upon a HF post from HitchHiking in Australia where he sells Tyvek tarps. Remarkably, the Tyvek weighs less than the SilNylon tarps he also sells. Check out the weights at:

http://www.terrarosagear.com/tarpshelters.htm

Perhaps Tyvek will find its niche as tarp doors or Grizz Beaks.
    I've got two of those funky tarps....this weekends hang that we're going on will be very redneck, as I'm opting to use shower curtains from the dollar store for our doors and duct tape. The plastic is actually a bit stretchy, which is nice for some give. If I can get them to just last this weekend, at least I'll have a pattern to use, or know what changes I want to make.....or perhaps I'll like them a lot and they'll stay as they are, you certainly can't go lighter

Don't want any hail though!

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hangandy View Post

Has this been tried?
    I don't know if it's been tried but if anyone would be willing to make one for me I'd be willing to pay a fair price. I've been toying with the idea lately of having removeable doors on one end only for the same reason you stated. It seems the wind/rain usually comes from one general direction. Of course you could make a set for each end...one solid ....one split. It looks like a fairly simple project....maybe if I have enough brownie points, my wife would be willing.

Miguel

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast