Hammock
    DIY HH Clone
    Tarp
    Pending
    Insulation
    RidgeRest CCP
    Images

Compressing hammocks?

Maybe this has been asked, I couldn't find it. It seems most hangers hear use snakeskins to enclose and transport their hammocks when on the trail or stuff sacs. Does anyone use a compact compression stuff sack like the clam style made by Granite Gear among others? I have been stuffing and compressing my hammock and straps in a XS Granite Gear air compressor stuff sack and it seems to work well at condensing the hammock to the size of a fattened grapefruit for my pack. Are there any concerns packing my hammock in this manner or should I go with a non compressing stuff sack as to minimize stress on the hammock?

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Stuff it as tight as possible. You only have to worry about compressing insulation and not the hammock itself.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Images
    I take a different approach. I usually just use an over sized stuff sack so it is easy to stuff and let it get compressed further in my pack if it needs to. It is easy to stuff and my pack rides better that way. But sometimes I don't use a stuff sack for my hammock and then I just roll it tight as I take it down and use the suspension line to hold it in a bundle.

I don't pack jackets and certain other clothing in their pockets or stuff sacks either. I use them for packing stuffing. Small bricks make it harder for me to fill my pack without annoying gaps that tend to make half of it tilt. By packing loose material and then cinching my pack from the top, I believe I get a better riding pack that stands up nicer over a variety of loads.
    Youngblood AT2000

Hammock
    DIY HH Clone
    Tarp
    Pending
    Insulation
    RidgeRest CCP
    Images
    Youngblood, yeah your packing method seems pretty logical, I noticed when I compressed my hammock into a grapefruit there were alot of gaps in my bag as the compression sack was shaped like a big ball, the weight seemed balanced though. I think I'll try stuffing my hammock loosely in my sleeping bag compartment next time, maybe I can get around to making some snakeskins in the next couple days.

Hammock
    Clark North American
    Tarp
    Golite Cave 2 tarp
    Insulation
    Exped downmat 7
    Nothing wrong with compressing a hammock although I don't bother...I like using the built in stuff sack with my Clark NA...I found all those compression sacks I used to use added more weight and didn't make packing all that much easier...I chose to go with a lightweight pack that held more in the way of bulk than pounds...

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I use the same thinking as Youngblood on the over-sized stuff sacks.
    They are easier to stuff w/ the hammock/quilt/tarp/clothes, & then they just take the shape of the inside of your pack when you press them down into it, filling every void.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    DIY HH Clone
    Tarp
    Pending
    Insulation
    RidgeRest CCP
    Images
    Cool deal, I will do that next time, I have a nice silnylon stuff sack that is the perfect size for my hammock, webbing, and tarp to be. I received the Travel Hammock ATHH today in the mail, very stoked! It has the stuff sack attached of course, so far it seems very simple to use. Testing it out in the near future.

• + New Posts