Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    There is a hammock hang calculator on a website. Google it and you should find it.

Hammock
    TW-Military
    Tarp
    TW-Ultralite
    Insulation
    Sleeping Bag
    Suspension
    Loopy Line
    Sleeping on the ground with your feet uphill also means that the rest of your body is higher than your head, which is not what happens with the foot end of your hammock being slightly higher than the head end.

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    these are some of the tricks I use to figure out how to dial in my hammock....
    After attaching the straps to the tree and looking at my hammock (your handy leveler would be nice to have at this point!!) to see if it looks like the feet are a bit higher than the head end. I'm also looking at the distance between the bottom of the hammock and the ground. If my hammock straps look like they are about at a 30 degree angle but say my hammock is to close to the ground, I know I need to raise the straps on the tree. I'm 5 foot so I don't have much height to work with. If I have to raise the straps, I use my trekking pole to do that. Works great too. Ok, so now my hammock "looks" ok, it's at about the right height from the ground, it's now time to get in the hammock. Sit in hammock, take off shoes, leave shoes straight below where you are sitting. Now lay back in hammock and wiggle about a bit to get in a comfortable position. See if you have any tightness in the hammock around where your lower legs are. I'm off center in my hammock and if I don't have the right angle of hang, I'll have hammock material that's pulled to tight and it's uncomfortable. To fix, I need to either drop the head end some or raise the foot end. Now it's time to get back out (you are just dialing in your hammock, not actually going to sleep at this point!!). When you sit back up and swing your feet out, notice where your shoes are!! This will show you how much you are sliding and which direction. If it's a lot, you should adjust your hammock to be higher in the direction that you slipped to. To do this, sometimes I just can tighten up my straps, sometimes I have to adjust the straps on the trees with my trekking pole.
    One thing to note, I've found that it's a general "look" of the right hang that I'm aiming for and that the look stays the same but the distance between the trees change due to using different trees.
    Just keep trying different settings and laying in your hammock to see how you like it.

Hammock
    BMBH & Thermarest NeoAir All Season
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema Winter
    Insulation
    NeoAir All Season
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I like your method of getting in for a test run to "dial in" the lay. I will try this next time out, get in and wiggle about for a few seconds to see where and if I am slipping one way or the other. Make my adjustments to to the end I am slipping to. Sounds easy enough.

When it comes to "looking" at my hammock, this is where I usually mess up. I have always been spatially challenged. Cannot look between two trees and approximate how far apart they are or look to see if something is level. The level part is exasperated when you are setting up on a hill or in the mountains (thus the reason for he string level).

The whole reason I made the switch from a tent to a hammock was due to setting up in the rain, and the process to keep your sleeping gear dry during the set up. My thoughts are tarp up first, then hammock, then sleep system (take down in reverse order if it is still raining in the morning). I am not worried about the tarp being level, but will pay more attention to the hammock dial in process from here on out. Thanks for everyone's help.

Hammock
    3 custom hk2001 Hammocks
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    IX Double Dog Bun
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Mac View Post
    Somebody had a calculator of some sort that showed the differant angles to height measurements. (so many feet high to so many feet wide) In order to achieve the 30 degree angle. Anybody remember where I can find that. I have a 9 ft. cieling in my garage. I'm thinking I would have to be about 24 ft. apart to end up 18 inches off the ground and have the right angle. I don't happen to know any math teachers.
    I am no math teacher. I can barely help my kids with their 4th & 5th grade math homework.

(here is that 'google' search )

http://dejoha.com/projects/hammocks/...alculator.html
    -Turtle Creek

Hammock
    WBBB double layer
    Tarp
    Noah Kelty 12
    Insulation
    Camping Pad (2)
    Suspension
    Webbing
    I'm definitely going to use the calculator for my next hang - thanks!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12