BMBH & Thermarest NeoAir All Season
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema Winter
    Insulation
    NeoAir All Season
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Angle of Hang?

Still kind of a noobie, but loving the new options on the trail. I have been out several times now with my hammock set up as well as in the back yard and I am still experimenting with the angle or level of my hammock.

In a traditional tent, you normally want your feet lower than your head in order not to wake up with a headache. I tried this same philosophy and I found that my Big Agnes insulated pad and my feet eventually ended up outside of the hammock. Is this due to the majority of the mass of my body pushing down towards the center of my gathered end hammock?

If I raise the foot end up, will this not contribute to the morning headache?

I have found that I sleep just fine down to 30F with just my BA pad, my Marmot NeverWinter 30 down bag and a Thermarest Green pad turned perpendicular to my body (and thus winging up for protection for my shoulders....it also tends to hold out the sides of the hammock like a bridge).

The part I am struggling with is sliding during the night and finding the correct angle to set my hammock between the trees. I even went out today and purchased a string level that I can hang on my ridgeline in order to ensure the correct angle of my hammock. Since it is less than an ounce, I will probably leave it on there.

Can anyone tell me the proper angle to hang the hammock? Also, is it necessary to lay in the gathered end hammock sideways? With the BA Pad and the Thermarest crossways, I am finding I can lay in the belly either on my back or on my side. When I am on my side, I just go into the fetal position like I normally do in my bed.

Any wisdom will be appreciated.
    Last edited by fullcount; 01-15-2012 at 22:59. Reason: spelling

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.0
    Tarp
    WBBMJ
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, HG Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Alot of getting it "dialed-in" has to do with the hammock type and just how you prefer to lie down to be comfortable.

I pretty much conform to the "average" on here. Feet slightly higher than head, slightly diagonal. I have a Blackbird, so with the footbox, it's pretty easy for me to find the proper lie, but I'm also a back-sleeper. I also use a jacket or stuff sack as a pillow, so my head is actually elevated a little.

I used a BA non-insulated air-core, mummy style, at first. I found it was too slippery and unwieldy, even only slightly inflated, and between my double layers. I switched to a CCF, and was more comfortable with regards to the lie of the hammock, but quickly got too hot (I'm a hot sleeper). It's normal to fiddle around with what's underneath you for awhile, until you find the right combo. For me, it was a 3/4 summer Phoenix UQ, which takes me down to around 25 degrees. I still carry my BA with me for two reasons, one, I use it as a sit pad with a "back" to lean against a tree, and two, for emergency go-to-ground if the need should ever arise.

My suggestion would be to try the foam pad instead of the BA as your lengthwise pad. You can always grab a cheapie one at wal-mart for your shoulders of you get chilled.

You're on the right path...just keep trying different combos until you find what works for you.

EDIT: Forgot to add that I have never woken up with a headache after sleeping in the hammock. Happened all the time in my tent, no matter if I was elevated at one end or level.
    Mike, Backcountry Mentor
    https://backcountrymentor.com
    Check me out on YouTube!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuhqpe2xIWBXRVtpB5dxAJA

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    30 degrees is generally considered the optimal angle. A structural ridgeline would help get you a consistent sag if you can't get the 30 degrees like if your trees are very far apart.

Laying diagonal in a gathered end hammock will give you a fairly flat lay. If you lay on a diagonal, raising the head or foot is not going to have the same effects as lying on the ground. I find also that no matter how flat you think you are, you head will always be higher than when lying on the ground. Many recommend raising the foot end a little to alleviate calf pressure often experienced in gathered end hammocks.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images

On 'level" and location

Level?
    > 200 mornings later, I'm still finding my sandals closer to the head end of the hammock than where I slipped them off; and that's with the foot end elevated above the head end.

I'd guess that in gathered end hammock everone drifts a little differently, has a center of gravity that's a little different, and a low point of the hammock that's a little different. Who says it must be hung with the ropes of equal length at both ends?

Consensus is that most are happier with foot end higher, to reduce drift of the center of gravity of the body, located behind the navel, kind of, toward the presumed center and low point of the hammock. Also consensus is that the bed of the hammock shouldn't be too slippery, presumably because everyone wants to feel he / she is in control of the location, and a slippery bed would prove otherwise, while making corrections harder.

My Clark hammocks have hand-grip-loops sewn into the the bed at the head end. I don't expect that I'll ever spend time in the hammocks that I don't reach behind my head and pull myself up some.

All smilies implied.

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Some hammock fabrics (mostly nylon) stretch a little too, which can cause you to slip into a pocket during the night.
    Last edited by dejoha; 01-17-2012 at 00:44. Reason: Removal of shameless self promotion.

Hammock
    BMBH & Thermarest NeoAir All Season
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema Winter
    Insulation
    NeoAir All Season
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Thanks everyone. I guess it is like "getting dialed in". I will try elevating the feet just a bit.

My wife says I snore and that is why I wake up with a headache..., may not have anything to do with feet being too high. I find when I sleep on my side, the headache syndrome is not as bad.

The one thing that is for sure, the hammock is a much better sleep than on the ground. I will probably keep the insulated BA pad for a while due to the compactness of system in my pack and the warmth I get while in the hammock. It is also nice to have something somewhat comfortable should I have to go to the ground. Never had to do this yet....but there is always a first time.

I am guessing high winds would necessitate such a move? Sure be a bummer if I had to move in the middle of the night. Any ideas on how to minimize the impact of resetting up?

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.0
    Tarp
    WBBMJ
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, HG Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fullcount View Post
    I am guessing high winds would necessitate such a move? Sure be a bummer if I had to move in the middle of the night. Any ideas on how to minimize the impact of resetting up?
    You'd need some mighty high winds to force you to the ground. I'm thinking the tarp would be over on the next mountain ridge somewhere before the hammock itself would even start to sway with any measurable force. If you lose your tarp, going to the ground isn't going to help much except in blocking your back from the wind.

However, with regards to setting up in high winds, that's a little different. Snake skins can make setting up the tarp a little easier, or even using a continuous ridgeline. If you put your tarp over the ridgeline, like a bedsheet on a clothesline, the wind will keep it reasonably in place until you can get it staked out.

Pitching the tarp low and staking out far away from the ridgeline will make it aerodynamic, but may not block as much wind from hitting you. Pitching it steep will block more wind, but the tarp may be put under greater stress.

When I set up my hammock in windy conditions, I just throw my pack in the hammock to weight it down while I adjust it. After everything is pretty much where I want it, I've emptied the hammock out and just let it blow. It forms a parachute shape, and I don't seem to have problems with it twisting over on itself.

FWIW, I've never had to go to ground, and there don't seem to be too many horror stories on here about others having to.
    Mike, Backcountry Mentor
    https://backcountrymentor.com
    Check me out on YouTube!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuhqpe2xIWBXRVtpB5dxAJA

Hammock
    BMBH, hennessey backpacker
    Tarp
    Jacks R Better
    Insulation
    JRB underquilt
    Suspension
    whoopies

angle of hang

Somebody had a calculator of some sort that showed the differant angles to height measurements. (so many feet high to so many feet wide) In order to achieve the 30 degree angle. Anybody remember where I can find that. I have a 9 ft. cieling in my garage. I'm thinking I would have to be about 24 ft. apart to end up 18 inches off the ground and have the right angle. I don't happen to know any math teachers.

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Ultralite zip mod
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    JRB Winter Nest
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    it's all in the angle of the dangle. Not very helpful but it made me smile, sorry
    “The censorious said she slept in a hammock and understood Yeats's poems, but her family denied both stories.”
    ― Saki, The Chronicles of Clovis

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fullcount View Post

My wife says I snore and that is why I wake up with a headache..., may not have anything to do with feet being too high. I find when I sleep on my side, the headache syndrome is not as bad.

Consider getting tested for obstructive sleep apnea. Ask your wife if she ever notices your breathing actually stop for any period of time. When you are on your back your airway can become partially or completely obstructed. This is very common in overweight individuals. An obstructed airway prevent you from getting quality REM sleep and may contribute to morning headaches as well as other issues like lack of concentration and feeling fatigued over the course of the day. When you lie on your side you do not obstruct your airway as much if at all so you do get proper sleep and hence no headaches. I speak from personal experience. Just a thought.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast