WBBB!,bias ww BMBH, DIY
    Tarp
    JRB, GG cuben twin
    Insulation
    tewa Mt.3. GG pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Amstel
    Images
    I secured the insolation by sewing it to the edges of the fabric (both layers) then with three sides plus part of fourth inverted the whole thing and finshed sewing the last side. It is growing on me as my favorite cold weather quilt I use a pad at feet and actually have it ride to the middle of my head which really snugs up and warms around shoulders. One extra night at 28 and was toasty. Son napped with it at 40 degrees with only poncho liner on top and said he felt like he was wrapped in a cloud.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 Dbl Layer
    Tarp
    WB Edge or DIY
    Insulation
    HG 20* UQ + DIY TQ
    Quote Originally Posted by Merganser View Post
    Just curious... How I did you go about securing the insulation to the shell? I've done it a couple different ways myself. Yours seems to gather nicely on the ends.

Also I would recommend some quilting loops. The added stabilization will help prevent damage from stuffing the thing (read Ray Jardine's site). I quit mine every foot or so.
    +1

With the compression at the ends and the amount of insulation in there quilting loops help to ensure the insulation stays flat and uniform throughout the underquilt.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    So that is 2 layers of 5 oz CS, IOW a total of 10 oz. sq. yd. under you, correct? So that would be a CLO of .82/ozX10= 8.2.

If everything else is perfect- snug seal with no loft compression when you pull it tight(dif cut), there is a rule of thumb that says ( for top warmth in a sleeping bag) CLO of 2 = 40, 4 = 20 and CLO of 6 = zero. I suspect in real life in a hammock we need a little extra on the bottom for a variety of reasons.

Still, the CLO rating seems pretty valid. For me, 1 layer of 2.5 oz(CLO 2) has been fine under me in the 40s with no other warm clothing other than cotton jeans/tee shirt. And Cannibal took a CLO of 8 to minus 11F with some clothing layers. So you may have to get to MN or CO to test that bad boy!

( of course, it's that "all else being equal/perfect" that will make theories go awry. Evil drafts individual cold tolerance etc)
    I've been studying CLO and temperature ratings tonight and I agree with BillyBob's assessment. In fact, according to the figures I have a CLO of 8.2 should provide a comfort rating of about -4F.

Hammock
    Gt UL, 1.7 wbbb
    Tarp
    GG, monsoon,suprfl
    Insulation
    PLUQ, jarbidge, di
    Suspension
    Whoopie wb-strap
    Images
    Sorry about jacking the thread, but I am looking at making an UQ I like the climashield just not sure which one and how many layers to use. I read through the whole post and it looks like according to the math a single layer of climashield 5 should get a person to about 40? I have the ripstop bought just scared to pull the trigger on the insulation, I will only be using it as a summer UQ in the BWCA.

Images
    I'm with dammfast, looking for good, hopefully light weight, insulation to about 40-30. Sorry for asking but what is CLO?

Hammock
    Gt UL, 1.7 wbbb
    Tarp
    GG, monsoon,suprfl
    Insulation
    PLUQ, jarbidge, di
    Suspension
    Whoopie wb-strap
    Images
    CLO = The amount of insulation which will maintain normal skin temperature of the human body when heat production is 50 kilogram-calories per meter squared per hour, air temperature is 70°F (21°C), and the air is still.

I stole that off the internet but at anyway it is an engineering term.

Images
    ha roger that....over my head!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dammfast View Post
    Sorry about jacking the thread, but I am looking at making an UQ I like the climashield just not sure which one and how many layers to use. I read through the whole post and it looks like according to the math a single layer of climashield 5 should get a person to about 40? I have the ripstop bought just scared to pull the trigger on the insulation, I will only be using it as a summer UQ in the BWCA.
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronkmckay View Post
    I'm with dammfast, looking for good, hopefully light weight, insulation to about 40-30. Sorry for asking but what is CLO?
    There are many variables obviously that affect real world results. How well sealed, gaps below you with an UQ, drafts, what else are you wearing, etc etc. And of course the biggest variable of all is the individual: How coldd of a sleeper are you normally, and what kind of condition are you in. AKA, are you going to bed already cold after a hard day hiking in blowing snow, did you have a big hot meal before bed, etc.

Still, that rule of thumb I mentioned: CLO of 2=40, Clo 4 = 20, 6=0F.
    1 layer of 5 oz/sq.yd CS Apex (or XP) X ~ 0.82 CLO per oz= CLO of 4.1

So if everything else is perfect, 1 layer of 5 oz CS Apex or XP should be good pretty close to 20.

That is all theory. In my real world experience so far:
    1 layer of 2.5 oz (CLO 2.05) has kept me just barely warm enough in the mid 40s with no other warm clothing. That is inside of a pretty much draft free Warbonnet "Yeti" UQ pulled pretty snug against my back. A layer of 5 oz should go a lot lower than that, if all is just right.

See post #10

Hammock
    Gt UL, 1.7 wbbb
    Tarp
    GG, monsoon,suprfl
    Insulation
    PLUQ, jarbidge, di
    Suspension
    Whoopie wb-strap
    Images
    Thank you!

I want to get it right the first time but don't want to over do it either. I think one layer of 5.0 sounds like the winner.

Images
    where does everyone get their climashield? I've seen alot of IX but not much climashield and primaloft.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast