Tarp
    JRB, GG cuben twin
    Insulation
    tewa Mt.3. GG pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Amstel
    Images

Climashield Apex 5.0 double underquilt

I decided to try a double layer Apex 5.0 underquilt. Here is the pics all done hanging outside. Only 55 degrees last night and even vented down right hot. It is 45 inches by 62 inches and I haven't weighed it yet but will post it when I have it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Notare; 01-16-2012 at 12:22.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway
    Insulation
    PLUQ
    Suspension
    Tree Hugger
    Like to see the specs when you get them. Looks cool.

Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    EE Revelation
    I'm getting ready to start on an identical project, except full-length. Glad to see someone else doing the same. It's a shame you don't live in MN instead of TX so we could see what that bad boy is really capable of ...I'm hoping to be comfortable down to the 0-5F range.

Did you diff. cut it at all, or is it a flat quilt?

Curious to see how well it compresses too...I'm a little concerned about that with mine.

Hammock
    WB DL 1.1
    Tarp
    WB superfly
    Insulation
    DIY-900 down UQ-TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie-
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Notare View Post
    I decided to try a double layer Apex 5.0 underquilt. Here is the pics all done hanging outside. Only 55 degrees last night and even vented down right hot. It is 45 inches by 62 inches and I haven't weighed it yet but will post it when I have it.
    Climashield is some really great material. It is a bit weighty, and doesn't like to compress to well, but ti does the job. Love to hear how much it weighs.

Hammock
    WBBB!,bias ww BMBH, DIY
    Tarp
    JRB, GG cuben twin
    Insulation
    tewa Mt.3. GG pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Amstel
    Images
    I got home took it down and stuffed it in spare 7x14 stuff sack and went in easy. I could use a compression back and get it down to a 6x10 with minimal effort. Weight came in at 31.90 oz. So two pounds I can live with and size I can pack no problem for cold weather trips. I sleep warm so I am interested in how cold I can take it. I know that at 55 it is too hot even opened up all the way on each end. The climashield I cut 45x62 and then used momentum 90T with bottom layer to match and top layer over cut by and 2 inches on the sides. So far I think it is working well not noticing compresssion of the layers except a little where I am cinching it up around the shoulders and calves which I expected. Now just need a nice northern from any of you guys farther north. Hook a brother up with some sub freezing temperatures please thank you.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    EE Revelation
    I wish I could send some cold weather your way but we don't have any to spare. I think it was almost 70 here today. Thanks for weighing and taking the comparison pic, that really does help. I was sold on this anyway, but a little reassurance never hurts...now just need to order the materials and get to work! Let us know if you ever get a cold snap and a chance to really test it out. Looking forward to seeing how it works for you.

Hammock
    WBBB!,bias ww BMBH, DIY
    Tarp
    JRB, GG cuben twin
    Insulation
    tewa Mt.3. GG pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Amstel
    Images
    So far the coldest I have gone in new quilt is 24 F but was warm with no cold spots felt like I had plenty of temp left to drop. I slept only in flannel pj's and t shirt. Did you use a poncho liner to block wind but no tarp to enjoy the stars. So far looking good.

Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    EE Revelation
    Quote Originally Posted by Notare View Post
    So far the coldest I have gone in new quilt is 24 F but was warm with no cold spots felt like I had plenty of temp left to drop. I slept only in flannel pj's and t shirt. Did you use a poncho liner to block wind but no tarp to enjoy the stars. So far looking good.
    Awesome! Thanks for the update! Now if I could just get my tarp done so I can move on to the UQ before all the cold weather is gone...

Hammock
    DIY (BASHIN)
    Tarp
    DIY 'winter' tarp
    Insulation
    DIY CS UQ
    Suspension
    whoppie slings
    Images
    Just curious... How I did you go about securing the insulation to the shell? I've done it a couple different ways myself. Yours seems to gather nicely on the ends.

Also I would recommend some quilting loops. The added stabilization will help prevent damage from stuffing the thing (read Ray Jardine's site). I quit mine every foot or so.

Images
    So that is 2 layers of 5 oz CS, IOW a total of 10 oz. sq. yd. under you, correct? So that would be a CLO of .82/ozX10= 8.2.

If everything else is perfect- snug seal with no loft compression when you pull it tight(dif cut), there is a rule of thumb that says ( for top warmth in a sleeping bag) CLO of 2 = 40, 4 = 20 and CLO of 6 = zero. I suspect in real life in a hammock we need a little extra on the bottom for a variety of reasons.

Still, the CLO rating seems pretty valid. For me, 1 layer of 2.5 oz(CLO 2) has been fine under me in the 40s with no other warm clothing other than cotton jeans/tee shirt. And Cannibal took a CLO of 8 to minus 11F with some clothing layers. So you may have to get to MN or CO to test that bad boy!

( of course, it's that "all else being equal/perfect" that will make theories go awry. Evil drafts individual cold tolerance etc)

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast