Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Zeti UQ & WM bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps
    I saw Cuben fabric for sale at one of the outdoor fabric sites, (sorry forgot which), but it was $25 a yard and only 50" wide.... That would cost a good bit even to make your own. But it sure is light!

Images
    My homemade cuben tarp started failing (stretching) at the stitch lines two weeks into my hike. It was the lighter weight version and was not taped. If I were to do it again I would tape and then stitch through the tape. Therein lies the paradox for me. The tape is quite heavy compared to the fabric it is bonding. There is a specical tape that the sailers use that requires a VERY expensive machine to apply. The weight (say 1.0 oz/sqyd) does not include the tape and, as has been mentioned, makes me wonder what the advantage is between this and spinnaker fabric. The latter is a very durable material, waterproof, and puncture resistant as well. Puncturing is a major concern for hammockers when you are talking about a fabric that is so expensive. I had several punctures in my Cuben tarp from sticks and small branches falling from the trees I was hanging from. It is a well designed material for its intended purpose, but I don't think it was the panacea that we were hoping for. If financially you are in a position to consider this a semi disposable item (like the HH racer model) then I say go for it. For me, it was a very expensive mistake. Next time spinnaker, not cuben.
    Brian
    ...and there came to be a day, all too soon, that I became aware that I could travel no more on my long journey. Though I did not arrive where I had planned, I believe that here is exactly where I am supposed to be...

Hammock
    WB Blackbird & Traveler
    Tarp
    MC SpinntexDeLux
    Insulation
    MW3,Yeti,HGsb,UL90
    Suspension
    WS
    Images
    Brian, thanks for the follow up info. Saved me mega$$s. Maybe the magic tarp material will be Spinntex EXP with a P2i treatment when or if ever available. P2i would eliminate the need for silicone impregnation. Decrease the weight of an equal size silnylon tarp ~1/2 with the strength of Spinn.
    Noel V.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123