hammock-handedness

Can't say if thats really a word but it asks my question. Do asymmetric hammocks have to be laid in on one particular side or do you have to swap ends to swap sides? What's the deal, do i need a righthanded(sided) hammock?

Hammock
    Hennessey Expedition Asym
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    BA Yampa, Exped 7s
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    I've thought the same thing. When I do sleep on my side, it's always on my left, which puts my face in the bugnet. Swapping ends won't solve the issue. I think on my HH clone I'll put two tie-out locations per side. That way you could asym-it R or L. Or, maybe pull out all four (wonder what that'd do?).
    To Boldly Hang Where No One Has Hung Before...

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Yes, they are meant to be layed in with your feet on the opposite corner from your head, hence the 'not symmetrical' moniker. But, you don't 'swap ends' in them to 'swap sides'. If you want to lay on your other side, just roll over.

It is not advisable to 'swap ends' in a HH. You'll wind up falling out of the entry slit. (That might actually be amusing, though, provided you didn't get hurt.)
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    hmmm.... silly me... here I thought there was excees fabric in one place and it kind of had to stay there. I think I'll try the four way pull out and see it it makes a difference using a pad. The stupid thing is still attacking me in the night and trying to turn me into a burrito... or egroll... or canoli... or... (don't want to be ethnicly divisive here. Equal opportunity wrapped/stuffed critter here.)
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    nano hammock w/ridge
    Tarp
    wb spinn edge
    Insulation
    yeti & jrb torso
    Suspension
    whoopie
    ...it is a funny thing that my HH rigidly determines the diagonal I can lay on, which way I can comfortably look out, and is so strongly head/foot oriented. Once the hammock is hung, that's it. I just tried a TTTM hammock and reveled in the freedom of being able to pivot in the hammock, and lie on any of four diagonals! Of course, since i still use the stock HH tarp, i guess that will limit me to two of the four diagonals! A comment about Bali and freedom would be in order here.

Images
    switching ends would still put your left shoulder near the edge, so it would technically be the same diagonal. the shape of the hh is fixed due to the location of the pull tabs, basically the edges are so that you only have efficient use of one of the 2 diagonals, the left diagonal. laying the other way is possible, but there won't be as much room for your head and feet, keeping you from getting as flat on the opposite diagonal in a hh. you would need pull tabs in the opposite locations to lay on the opposite diagonal. having 4 pull tabs and hex shaped netting would not give full use of either diagonal, adding 2 more to an hh would do little. (by full use of the diagonal, i mean the lay you get on the diagonal of a zero pull tab hammock.) this is what asym shape tries to replicate.

simply cutting the pull tabs off your hh will not make it like a zero pull tab hammock either, the shape of the netting is more restrictive to the flexibility of the hammocks edges than the actual pull tab locations. but yeah, thats one of the advantages of a zero pull tab hammock, or an end gathered hammock without a fixed shape rather, that it is fully flexible and fluid and you have the greatest number of positions. it's also simpler and cheaper, but on the other hand, a fixed shape hammock will usually be lighter overall, using less netting, and the netting can be pulled tight more like the window of a tent, and pull tabs can help keep loose hammock fabric away from the user's face, so there are different advantages to both designs.

Images
    does anybody lay on the opposite diagonal in a zero pull tab hammock, so your right shoulder is near the edge and your left foot is near the other edge? that just feels weird to me for some reason, maybe because i had a hh in the beginning.

• + New Posts