Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images

Return to Litle Slocan Lake

For those of you missing the warm weather. Last fall while i was on a project i was escaping from my shop once and a while to clear my head out. After some running around i ended up at Little Slocan Lakes. I only go there about once a year as its a small lake and usually people on it but this day it was just right. I put in at the little beach.

I was heading up the upper reaches of the Little Slocan river as far as i could to Bannock and Burn Creek if possible.

As i was heading up the river i came upon a beaver dam.
    I ran into about 6 other dams on my way up river but that was the only one i had to actually get out and back in.

This is prime bear habitat. Just one big salad bar. So i was paying attention to a few things so as not to surprise anyone including myself. The river gets real narrow in places upping my concern.

After a while i couldn't get any farther up as it was getting too shallow so i stopped and had lunch on a sand bar . There were Choke cherries all over.

and some nice views on the way down

Once i got back down to the lake the sun was illuminating everything.
    All that grass you see growing use to be harvested 80 yrs ago by one of the two homesteading families back here. They would horse draw a barge loading 10 tons off grass .This would be for the cows for winter.

Now i had my camera on the wrong setting as it turns out so every time i faced towards the sun things got a little weird ,,but made for some interesting shots nevertheless.

If you fallow the river south of the lake it goes to those far mnts, turns left and passes my place after about another 8 miles.

More scenery

It was getting on in the afternoon and decide not to go down the river towards the other lakes and just pulled into a small bay at the south end of the upper lake for some tea.

Relaxing with my bush Buddy boiling up some water.

Just about that time the entertainment started. This little fella swam by towards its den which was over to my left.

He couldn't make up his mind and swam out and then back again.

Shows over and i pack up and head back to the upper part of the lake to the launch. It doesn't take long but the end of the day is coming.
    One last look up the north end.

The end to a very nice relaxing day ,,,away from work and everything else.

enjoy
    bill
    Last edited by mbiraman; 01-22-2012 at 01:56.
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    NX-150 TX-150
    Tarp
    Vertex-Camo
    Insulation
    Z-Liner & DIY Pads
    Suspension
    Clark
    Quote Originally Posted by mbiraman View Post
    Once i got back down to the lake the sun was illuminating everything.
    All that grass you see growing use to be harvested 80 yrs ago by one of the two homesteading families back here. They would horse draw a barge loading 10 tons off grass .This would be for the cows for winter.

bill
    Hi Bill
    Nice shots . . . thanks for it.

I was there a year or so ago with my girls, just for a look though it was all we had time for.

But when I got back to work the next week,
    I was mentioning it to a girl on my route, and she said . . .

That one of the homesteaders was her Grand-parents.
    Her Gr-ma and Gr-pa as young adults, or teens
    were there at the same time and met.
    Shortly after that they married and then chose that to be there home.

I haven't seen them but google shows the homesteads still being there.

Bradley SaintJohn
    Flat Bottom Canoe
    Start A Biz

The Transition from Ground Sleeping to Hammocks
    is the Conversion from Agony To Ecstasy,
    and Curing Ground-In-somnia.

"Call unto me, and I will answer thee, and show you great and mighty things . . ." Jeremiah 33:3
    ΙΧΘΥΣ

Hammock
    WB / BIAS
    Tarp
    HG Custom 4S
    Insulation
    WB Lynx, HG, MB
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Straps
    Great post Bill! Man, its got to be great to have lakes like that in your back yard! I was okay when I woke up this morning, but now I'm really missing summer!

Oh well, may try and go do a little snowshoeing later this afternoon.

Cheers

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Hey Bradley; The Homestead your showing south of the lakes on the river is the Varney clan. They , and a bunch of other folks moved there in the thirties. After a year or so most left but the Varneys stayed. There isn't much there now. One of the original log cabin's is still standing and part of one of the hay barns. There was a big celebration there between a Tedesko and Varney about sixty yrs ago.There's a few pic's in Rita Moir's book "The Third Crop" that came out last summer. Interesting book. There's a pic of the horse drawn barge and a few of them slinging grass. Hard working days.I knew Chuck and Hazel Varney as they lived down the road from me. Their long gone now. One of their son's Ed still lives down the road and for years i had permission to go in and wander the property.Its one of the nicest pieces of property in the area and one of the only private pieces back in that whole area. The other homesteaders where just south of the Rec site on the upper lake. You've probably seen the plaque. Anderson's i think if i remember right. You might find "The Third Crop interesting. Its on the Slocan Valley. Glad to hear your gettin out with the kids

Ooops; I misread the google pic when i looked at it. That's the river section above the lakes where i was paddling. I don't know who was there and haven't heard about them Mmmmm. I wonder if the Girl was talking about the Varneys place??
    bill
    Last edited by mbiraman; 01-22-2012 at 12:28.
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

• + New Posts