Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images

Pre-Hike to the 5th Annual New Jersey Winter Hang 2012

Kayak Karl previously mentioned a pre-hike out of Batsto Village on Thursday 1/26 to Lower Forge (7.5 miles), then hiking into Batona Camp Friday 1/27 (6.5 miles). Anybody up for it?

I wasn't too sure I was up for it when he mentioned it, so I've made several hikes along the route in the last couple of months to familiarize myself. The first time I got terribly lost and just camped somewhere out there in the Pine Barrens. Then again, I'm blind in one eye, can't see out of the other, and I chose to hike at night (go figure).

Still, the trail is flat and easy and it's downright purty with all them pine trees and rivers and swamps.

Images
    im watching the weather and work. we are only planning bringing my van this year so logistics are a problem.
    "Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    When I saw Maple was coming, I thought logistics might be a problem. Let me know if I can help out in any way. Bringing two cars don't make a lot of sense in your case.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    What? Nobody even considering a pre-hike but me and KK?

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    After the pre-hike to Fall MAHHA 2011 wore me out, I resolved to get in shape for the NJ Winter Hang 2012 pre-hike so I wouldn't embarrass myself again.

Weight lifting, full-court basketball twice a week, and plenty of hiking. I am now a fine-tuned hiking machine. Alas, it appears I have been doing all this preparation for - a solo hike.

It's a good thing I enjoy my own company! Now that I think of it, the getting in shape was plenty of fun. I may just save a vacation day, drive in on Friday, and maybe knock out a few day hikes while I'm there.

C'est la vie!

Hammock
    BMBH, hennessey backpacker
    Tarp
    Jacks R Better
    Insulation
    JRB underquilt
    Suspension
    whoopies

Thumbs up winter pre hike

It's kind of hard to tell if this hike is a go or not. I've been watching the thread and it seams to be a definate maybe. I'm in if it's on. Just tell me when, how many days out and where to meet. The weather looks good. The cabin fever is starting to get me, so I'm looking to get out. I plan on making the weekend hang so an extra day or two would be nice. If your worried about dragging the anchor around the woods I can assure you that I'm a well seasoned hiker. Just thought I'd get that out there.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Mac View Post
    It's kind of hard to tell if this hike is a go or not. I've been watching the thread and it seams to be a definate maybe. I'm in if it's on. Just tell me when, how many days out and where to meet. The weather looks good. The cabin fever is starting to get me, so I'm looking to get out. I plan on making the weekend hang so an extra day or two would be nice. If your worried about dragging the anchor around the woods I can assure you that I'm a well seasoned hiker. Just thought I'd get that out there.
    Bob Mac - I'm leaning toward doing this pre-hike - just got to arrange for someone to coach my basketball team while I'm on the trail. I'll confirm tomorrow or Wednesday at the latest.

Not worried about YOU being the anchor, but you might have to drag me around the woods! My intention is to be at Batsto Village no later than 2:30 pm on 1/26, hike to Lower Forge (or Mullica River Wilderness Camp, since I've never been there).

Hike into Batona Camp Friday morning to join the rest of the crew. We'll either need to get a ride back to our cars, or drop one off at Batona before the hike.

• + New Posts