Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Holger View Post
    So you cook/ boil it first and then filter it?
    I always do the one or the other but not both..?

Some good ideas about water collection here- thanks guys- keep them comming!
    Nah. Sorry for the confusion on this.

What I'd do is use my cooking vessel to collect it, and then run it through the filter or boil it depending on what I wanted to do with it. My thought is that way I don't ruin a blue water container with filling it. Any time I'll be taking water out of my cooking vessel for consumption, I'll have boiled that water, killing anything that might be left over from the collection period (which means that the collection vessel is self-sterilizing).

That way, I don't have to worry about whether or not the collection vessel is contaminated for further drinking--and I don't have to worry about possible cross-contamination from my blue water line coming loose at some point and swinging under the grey water coming off of the roof (I use an inline filter set up that can be used as a gravity filter), or splash back from the collection getting on my mouthpiece. Or disassembling my filter system to avoid the above.

I hope the clears it up a bit. If not, I'll try again...I'm not always the clearest at conveying things...

Hammock
    Hennessy UL Explorer (2QZQ Mod #4)
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Baby Orca & NoSniv
    Suspension
    Whoopie & biner
    Images
    Once in a downpour I just put an (metal) army mug underneath the corner of my tarp (diagonal), I got a pint/half a liter/2 cups in 15 seconds...

Forgot to mention; the optional benefit of tying the bottle to the tarp is that it kinda keeps the tarp taught when wet (silnylon) due to the weight....

Grtz Johan
    My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplaces of existence.

mob: +31 6 44 80 82 63

http://www.dutchunlimited.com
    http://dutchunlimited.com/english/

My YouTube

Banned
    A proper tarp/collection system will take care of most if not all of your water needs, regardless of rain.

It seems like there should be a way to use materials that you're taking anyway, to make water collection easier for the ultralight crowd. Like using a plastic bag with a corner cut out or maybe making a funnel out of foil? It would be hard to secure them to the tarp, but someone with some engineering genius might be able to figure it out.

I like the double platypus bottle lid idea. That looks like it doesn't take up much space. I'll be making a pill bottle out of two bottle caps, so I'll have to see if I can make it multi purpose and glue some mesh in between it too. I got the idea from here: http://www.briangreen.net/2011/02/pl...d-capsule.html Now I just have to figure out how to make it multi purpose...

Hammock
    DYI, ENO DB, HH
    Tarp
    Varies
    Insulation
    WOOL
    Suspension
    STOCK
    I remember seeing them on Hennessy's site. I think there was some sort of Copy Right issues around them. Probably in Hennessy's favor. I can not remember.
    I bet if you do a search on this site you will find to some posts about using these. Issues like bird poop, acid rain and other intesting ideas.

I was just about to order one, but it's $15 minimum for shipping. $25 for this little thing isn't worth it. If there's some other vendor that carries it and has reasonable shipping rates, please let me know.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12