View Poll Results: Does length of hammock matter?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, length is the most important variable for non-bridge hammock comfort

15 38.46%
  • Maybe not most important, but very important

18 46.15%
  • Not all that important, I have been very comfy in some shorter hammocks

6 15.38%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Images

Hammock length- again

Recently a couple of seemingly related things have been going on:
    1: A lot of talk about comfort of the Wilderness Logics hammocks and folks opining that they think it might be mainly due to the the 11 ft length.
    2: A resurrection of an old thread of mine about the HH Safari being super comfy and not getting much notice for that. It seems since the last post in that thread last Apr, quite a few folks have come forward to agree with that premise. With some even saying the HH Safari is the most comfortable hammock they have used.

I have another old thread somewhere where I asked opinions on whether or not hammock length- just considering that ONE variable though there are many others)- is a major factor in hammock comfort. I think I had measured all of my hammocks, and there seemed to be a definite correlation between length and comfort, with the longer hammocks seeming to be more comfortable, not including bridge designs.

I don't remember those lengths, so I measured my Safari again. This is measured inside the hammock from where the ridgeline goes into the black "knot covers". I get 138" or 11.5 ft. So, it is quite long and several of us think it is about the most comfy gathered hammock we have tried, or at minimum tied for that. I actually consider it at least tied with my bridge hammocks for overall comfort, very close even for leg comfort.

So maybe length is a biggy, though there are always other variables. I suppose width is a factor, though I'm not certain exactly how. Because one of my more comfortable hammocks, is only 48" wide( and 10 ft long)- the Claytor No Net. How to measure the width on the Safari is debatable, because the widest point is on the diagonal, which is 68". Which is huge, but it is not that wide measured straight across, just can't figure out where I should measure it. HH says 52". They also say 112" long, but that is the RL length, not the hammock fabric length.

So what are Y'alls opinions? Is length a biggy as far as over all comfort for a non-bridge hammock? Are there other variables nearly as important? If so, what are they?

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I voted "Yes", but I would add that I believe it is most important on gathered-end hammocks. I consider Claytors and Clarks to be cinched-end hammocks, which I don't think are as impacted as a standard gather.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    WBBB Dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    OES deluxe
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    I thought it would be obvious that length would be high on the list, with width just behind it. To my way of thinking, fabric length, coupled with the ridgeline, sets the hang angle. That has been my experience, anyway.

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    I too would think yes. I enjoy my much shorter hammocks but the longer ones tend to be my most comfortable and my go-to's.
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    I voted "Yes", but I would add that I believe it is most important on gathered-end hammocks. I consider Claytors and Clarks to be cinched-end hammocks, which I don't think are as impacted as a standard gather.
    OK now, that's interesting. I did not know that. Though I am aware of the technical difs in the two ( a channel vs a knot) I have long ago just considered them more or less the same thing as far as function. However, now that you mention it, my Claytor is only 10 ft long ( actually not quite as long as my UL Explorer which I just measured and is about 10'4"), but it is one of my top comfort hammocks. Even though it is 1.5 ft shorter than my Explorer, there is not a huge comfort dif.

So, looks like one of the comfort variables is channel vs knot?

I wonder why it would make any difference, considering the Claytor cinchs down real tight on the ends once you are in it, ending up about like my Speer is even before getting in. But if it does make a dif ( ie: knot vs channel), that is even more incentive for me to try that shorter Claytor my friend has and see how it feels.

It really would be nice if shorter non-bridge hammocks could be as comfy as longer. Less to cover with a tarp, less weight and a PeaPod can swallow them better.

Quote Originally Posted by olzeke View Post
    I thought it would be obvious that length would be high on the list, with width just behind it. To my way of thinking, fabric length, coupled with the ridgeline, sets the hang angle. That has been my experience, anyway.
    Maybe not so obvious to all (though it always seemed obvious to me). For example, many folks hold the WBBB and or Traveler in the highest comfort category. But it is only at most 10 ft long, right? My Explorer is actually a little bit longer, yet some folks def find the WB significantly more comfy. For a long time here ( in years past ) the Speer was considered by some to be one of the most comfy, many preferred it to the HHs. But it was only 8 to 8.5 ft long!
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 01-18-2012 at 16:52.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    I have a couple of eleven footers, and am trying hard to love them, but so far, they're just one-night hookups. My ENO and GT doubles are still my faves. At the same time, the only hammock I've used all winter is my Speer w/attached SnugFit.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night/Lite Owls
    Tarp
    WL-TP/OMW/BF
    Insulation
    WL-TQ/UQ x3
    Suspension
    Dutch-n-Whopies
    Images
    i believe it is the combination of width and length.
    the hammocks i own are 11' x 58" with the exception of my BlackBird.
    the 11'x58"er are more comfortable than my BB.
    i have not tried a 10'x58" to compare the shorter length for comfort.
    i'm 6'1" 205ish. there is prob. some complicated formula that can be applied to give a magical coefficient of comfort.
    i just know my OWLs are really comfortable.
    __bob__

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    Balloons
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I am six feet tall, and am quite comfortable in my Grand Trunk Ultra Light.

It is listed as 9.5 feet long by 4.5 feet wide. I should really measure it, though. I replaced the nasty rope in the channels with amsteel whoopies. My previous hammock was a Hennessy 2.5 Expedition, which was also comfortable for me.
    I love the unimproved works of God. - Horace Kephart

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I have a WBBB and a regular Switchback. I have also made a few hammocks from 9.5 to 11' long. I believe the SB is about 54" wide, my narrowest, and I made a 67" wide. Without a doubt, my most comfortable hammock is my DIY 11' long by 67" wide monster hammock.

This saddens me because I'm a very weight conscious hiker. However, I dream peacefully in it. I just spent 3 nights in it this weekend.

As to rope through an end channel vs a knot or cinched end treatment, I believe the rope through the end channel has the effect of extending the length maybe 2" on each end. That's because the hammock isn't quite bunched up to a single point liked the knotted, whipped or cinched ends are.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night/Lite Owls
    Tarp
    WL-TP/OMW/BF
    Insulation
    WL-TQ/UQ x3
    Suspension
    Dutch-n-Whopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    Without a doubt, my most comfortable hammock is my DIY 11' long by 67" wide monster hammock.
    it can also double as a parachute, handy for slowing a rapid descent!

i'll bet that is a Super comfortable hang.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast