Hammock
    GT Single
    Tarp
    Henny Hex 70D
    Insulation
    DIY Peapod
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps

Wow this sleeping bag packs down but it's huge!

So I got a cheap walmart bag that I'm going to convert to a peapod but this thing even when packed down tight barely fits in the bottom of the backpack. Any decent priced bag that will go down to 30 or 35. That packs down pretty small. When I say 'decent' price I mean $50 or less?
    Desiel®
    Hanging Noob
    "If you can't change it, don't worry about it."
    -Me

“All you need is 20 seconds and insane courage, and I promise you something great will come of it.”

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Desiel View Post
    So I got a cheap walmart bag that I'm going to convert to a peapod but this thing even when packed down tight barely fits in the bottom of the backpack. Any decent priced bag that will go down to 30 or 35. That packs down pretty small. When I say 'decent' price I mean $50 or less?
    Come to the Spring MAHHA, chip in $50 for the raffle, take your chances on wining a TQ.

The cost is in the insulation. Walmart bags are like 600fp, cheap feathers but it takes a lot of them to get the 30F rating. 800-900fp isn't so cheap, but insulates oh so much better. Less down, smaller package, higher cost.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End 1.9
    Tarp
    STS 10x10 Escapist
    Insulation
    DIY Full Length UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Straps
    Hard to find a bag for that price that would stuff down to a small size...especially a synthetic bag.

You would have to spend a little more for a down bag or higher end synthetic that stuffs to a small size.

For a little more, you should check out RAB Sleeping Bags...If I recall not that long ago, you could get a down bag for around $100

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I swear by my 0* Hollofill sleeping bag - it has never let me down in cold weather, and it still insulates even when wet.

However, it weighs 3.6 lbs and compresses down to the size of a small hippopotamus. The bulk alone made me finally pony up for a Hammock Gear TQ and UQ. My 20* Burrow weighs 21 ounces, and my 20* Phoenix 3/4 UQ (2 oz. overstuff) weighs 17.7 oz. I may have only reduced my insulation weight by 17 oz, but boy did I gain a lot of pack room! And no more blue ccf pad! Them HG UQs and TQs compress down to nothing.

And the one thing I learned is that bulk is as bad, if not worse, than weight. Bulk can really affect your hike. It's the difference between carrying a Toyota Yaris on your back and a stripped-down Cadillac that weighs the same. You're going to carry the less-bulky item much easier.

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite & WBBB 1.0 Double
    Insulation
    Crowsnest/No Snive
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I swear by my 0* Hollofill sleeping bag - it has never let me down in cold weather, and it still insulates even when wet.

However, it weighs 3.6 lbs and compresses down to the size of a small hippopotamus. The bulk alone made me finally pony up for a Hammock Gear TQ and UQ. My 20* Burrow weighs 21 ounces, and my 20* Phoenix 3/4 UQ (2 oz. overstuff) weighs 17.7 oz. I may have only reduced my insulation weight by 17 oz, but boy did I gain a lot of pack room! And no more blue ccf pad! Them HG UQs and TQs compress down to nothing.

And the one thing I learned is that bulk is as bad, if not worse, than weight. Bulk can really affect your hike. It's the difference between carrying a Toyota Yaris on your back and a stripped-down Cadillac that weighs the same. You're going to carry the less-bulky item much easier.

Well said. Also, you can only have two out of three; light, inexpensive, warm. In this case, light and small are synonymous.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly/ Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG down/DIY
    Suspension
    Various
    Images
    I will agree with everyone else. I just found out the hard way. My 30* mummy bag will only compress so much. I can barely get it in the pack and when I do, it darn near takes up half the pack. After going to the Florida Hang and looking at some quilts, I will be going that direction. When I can pack a top and bottom quilt in a sack half the size of my sleeping bag, it's kind of a no brainer. I will save some money by DIYing my own, though. Sorry, there is just not an easy way to go cheap, unless you want to strap your gear on the outside of your pack. Or, carry a 100L 6lb. backpack.
    RON

A tree's a tree. How many more do you need to look at? ~ Ronald Reagan

Visit my Youtube channel- Florida Wild

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End 1.9
    Tarp
    STS 10x10 Escapist
    Insulation
    DIY Full Length UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Straps
    Just a thought. Have you tried stuffing your SB on your pack without the compression sack? Prior to purchasing new gear, this is what I did in order minimize bulk...it worked surprisingly - you may want to give that a go.

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    At the Florida hang this weekend, I used my elcheapo($15) wallyworld bluebag as a makeshift peapod. The big problem besides bulk is the lack of space. I used the bag over the ridgeline and could barely sleep at any meaningful angle. I'm 5'9" and had only a little toss and turn in there, but still manageable.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Isn't there a 700fp kelty 20* bag around for like $70.00? My buddy picked one up from sportsmans guide, the Kelty Comso or something. He swears by his. My 700fp down sweater is the bee's knees, I can imagine a whole sleeping bags worth.

It's a little above your price point but probably the best value of cost vs. weight vs. bulk vs. warmth you'll find as a regular deal. Sorry I'd forgotten about this or I'd have mentioned it in the PM as well.

---

After looking for the deal my buddy found, I couldn't find that same price point and the fill weight is diff. than he told me. However, looking over at Overstock.com I came across one that's 3.5lbs, packs down to 7"x14" or something like that.. it's rated 20 but reviews show it's really a 40 degree bag witha survival rating of 20. It's right in your pricepoint.
    Last edited by Red Wing; 01-18-2012 at 19:07.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 11 WB
    Insulation
    3S Phnx/1S GoLite
    Suspension
    Straps/Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post

My thoughts and experience exactly! I'm looking to replace my old sleeping bag, which works great but is bulky and heavy and takes half of my pack. I knew the first time that I packed my backpack and compared to MAD777 and saw that his TQ compressed down to the size of an egg that I wanted some down compressability. The warm down TQ was on my list but then at the second annual FL hang I won a Phoenix 3/4 UQ in the raffle and am now on a single minded mission to get that TQ goodness. I had wanted to wait until the fall black friday sale to save some money but with at least two more hangs this spring I'm not sure I want to wait.

I can say firsthand that the Hammock Gear quilts are top quality and appear to be very competitively priced. I think I might be making a tax return purchase soon.

Dave
    The best things in life aren't things. -- Art Buchwald

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast