Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe
    Insulation
    LeighLo UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies n toggles

Those that don't use/have an UQ......

..what's your set-up for colder weather and what temp are you comfy at?

Hammock
    Claytor Jungle Hammock
    Tarp
    Camo Diamond
    Insulation
    TB
    Suspension
    Stock
    Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    I am new at this, but have spent a couple of nights out in my back yard, the lowest temperature was -17c. I used a blue closed cell foam and an old polarguard bag between the Mosquito hammock layers, and a MEC Raven down bag. I also wore double socks, double pants, double layers of poly tops, a balaclava and a toque. I am chronically cold when I sleep, but I was comfy all night at -17. The other night was warmer, so it was less of a problem.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    MacCat Std
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Line/Strap
    I spent two nights in my Traveler in the 50's and I wouldn't do it again. I ended up pulling the trigger on an under and overquilt shortly after. I did the foam pap, sleeping bag and a couple of fleece blankets and they just didn't cut it. The first few nights in the quilts were pure heaven.

Images
    The first and only time I've tried a hammock in winter was on January 7th and it got down to -6 C. I had an Exped Downmat 7 and a Mountain Hardware sleeping bag rated for - 30 C. I slept in wool socks, fleece pants, long sleeve polyester t-shirt, fleece vest and toque. I was toasty and didn't get cold. I'm thinking I can go a lot colder, but I don't trust the -30 C rating of the sleeping bag.

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    before I had my under quilts I would use an Exped Down 9 or an Exped Down short 7 in warmer temps. The Exped 9 worked very well for me in temps down in the mid 20's F with freezing sleet. I already had a winter top quilt before I switched to hammocks. Only issues I've ever had with the Exped 9 was the very edges of my shoulders being cold. I'd stuff my jacket there and go back to sleep.

Images
    Rocky Mountain Sniveller from JRB TQ
    Te-Wa winter coat 2/3, w/1 oz. overstuff UQ
    Z-Pack Cuben 11-8'8" tarp
    DIY 11'8" hammock

-10 Degrees
    "Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

Hammock
    WBBB DBL 1.7
    Tarp
    ENO Camo Profly
    Insulation
    LeighLo UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    Before I got the Leighlo quilt I was using an army surplus od green ccf pad. I would guess it at 5/8" thick.

I could get down to 35 but still had cold spots, namely my feet, and shoulders. I didn't rig it with any wings or extenders and didn't cut the pad any either.

I was using a Mtn Hardwear synthetic mummy bag that has 32* on it.

I would characterize myself as a slightly warm sleeper.

Even in the dead of summer I still wake up with a cold rear end if I don't have a pad or something under me.

Have you tried the poncho liner underquilt trick yet?

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Thinlight pad
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    Coldest night was low 50's. I'm really not set up for cold weather at all (but I'm working on it). I have a summer-weight sleeping bag to which I added a bag liner. I slept in my clothes with a smartwool cap. I had my blue, foam pad which, as always, I got tired of fussing with and threw out of the tent partway through the night. The temperatures were not extreme, but with no real cold weather gear, I was feeling the chill, but I kept warm enough. I feel like most of cold was lost underneath me, naturally enough, but a little more top insulation would definitely be useful, too. I suspect that some bottom insulation would help a lot (looking at the Hennessy Super Shelter), but to really be cozy in the 40s and below, I suspect a warmer top insulator would be needed as well. I'm considering a Big Agnes bag that a sleeping pad slot instead of insulation underneath. It might solve my problem of getting my CCF pad to stay put, but my real hope is that when combined with the Super Shelter, I won't need to put anything in the pad slot.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    I've slept down to 45F with no underquilt/pad at all using a military ICW sleeping bag and poncho liner with no problem.

This past weekend was out in 22F nights with relatively high winds (30-40mph gusts) with my cheap 20deg synthetic bag and poncho liner, using the HHSS undercover, pad, and spaceblanket underneath the hammock (no overcover). Hex tarp with no doors overhead. Clothing was simply a layer of Starter baselayers, a layer of Indera baselayer, and a pair of sweat pants along with some decent wool socks I use just for sleeping. Headgear was a merino wool buff.

Slept like a baby.

I'm sure I'll end up getting a down UQ eventually, but I'm doing pretty good without one at this point.

Hammock
    Vivere Parachute Nylon Hammock
    I just did a winter hang at -30c windchill close to -40c using a eureka mummy bag rated at -26c and a standard run of the mill $10 summer bag inside. I had NO underquilt and no overquilt and decided to not use my foam pad. I was plenty warm and based on this last hang i will not be using a underquilt ever again.

But before you go and do a dangerous cold weather hang like i did, i suggest you test your ideas at home in a back yard to see whats best for you.

Keep em hangin

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast