Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DivaB View Post
    With the elastic on the back of the SPE, the torso pad doesn't slide around at all under the full length pad. The system is too wide though. I need to take in the wings on each side, as it pushes my make shift UQ too far out. I also need to cut down and shape better the full length pad. I love the length, but some shaping up definitely needs done. Just cutting the corners off wasn't near enough. I'm not sure why my pics didn't show up, but they are in my Album labeled DIY
    If you have an SPE with multiple pads, do you even need the UQ? I've use my Big Agnes insulated Air Core along with a blue ccf pad in my SPE comfortably below 10 F (the combined R value is about 5.6). You might try the SPE alone and ave the UQ for when it's warmer.

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Quote Originally Posted by wisenber View Post
    If you have an SPE with multiple pads, do you even need the UQ? I've use my Big Agnes insulated Air Core along with a blue ccf pad in my SPE comfortably below 10 F (the combined R value is about 5.6). You might try the SPE alone and ave the UQ for when it's warmer.

I had to....and that wasn't all I used and I was still cold . I think it may have just been me though, I had had a very trying week so I think my body was emotionally tired which then caused me to not ever get warm. I had the two pads, I had a jerry rigged eddie bauer 800 fill down comforter, then at 3am I added my poncho liner uq, which also had a down throw pinned inside of it and my hammock sock. (The poncho liner UQ with the down throw inside it can take me to 40 with no problems...so then you add in everything else I was using and 13 degrees should have been a breeze.) Not even going to mention all the crap I was wearing by the time morning finally came around...I just kept adding everything I brought with me through out the night. Needles to say, I chickened out of the 2nd night.

My son was using the same set up, he slept, only complained about his shoulders being so cold that they hurt. I slid a piece of reflectix under him and he was fine, but just fine. He was not toasty warm at all.

Non the less we survived our first winter hang, first winter camping of any kind. I just need to make some changes. Reshape the pads, and harvest the down out of the comforter and make into a better shaped UQ with the right materials.

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.0
    Tarp
    WBBMJ
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, HG Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DivaB View Post
    Reshape the pads, and harvest the down out of the comforter and make into a better shaped UQ with the right materials.
    I think that right there will make the biggest difference. With all of the varying types of insulation you had, there are bound to be air-gaps letting that cold air in. 8 inches of loft won't keep you warm if there's a centimeter of cold air between you and that insulation.

You may be a good candidate for a pod. I would find it too restricting for me (I tend to vent more than most people), but You'll eliminate any side air gaps, and only have to worry about head and feet gaps.

I'm sorry I didn't get to take a closer look at your setup. I'm planning another Mohican overnight soon, since it's so close. If it's not as cold, you should come out and have us "tweak" your setup.
    Mike, Backcountry Mentor
    https://backcountrymentor.com
    Check me out on YouTube!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuhqpe2xIWBXRVtpB5dxAJA

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Quote Originally Posted by USMCStang View Post
    I think that right there will make the biggest difference. With all of the varying types of insulation you had, there are bound to be air-gaps letting that cold air in. 8 inches of loft won't keep you warm if there's a centimeter of cold air between you and that insulation.

You may be a good candidate for a pod. I would find it too restricting for me (I tend to vent more than most people), but You'll eliminate any side air gaps, and only have to worry about head and feet gaps.

I'm sorry I didn't get to take a closer look at your setup. I'm planning another Mohican overnight soon, since it's so close. If it's not as cold, you should come out and have us "tweak" your setup.
    Yea, I'd like that!!

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123