View Poll Results: Do you sleep hot, cold, or average

Voters
210. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm a "Hot" sleeper. My gear takes me to colder temps than what it's rated for.

85 40.48%
  • I'm a "Cold" sleeper. I find that the temp ratings on my gear are a little exaggerated.

78 37.14%
  • I'm an "Average" sleeper. Buying gear is easy for me, because the temp ratings are "just right".

47 22.38%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    WBBB / WWM
    Tarp
    OES
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing & whoops..
    Average. A lot seems to depend on my day and last meal of the day.

Hammock
    BB 1.1 & 1.7
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps
    Cooollllllddddd!!!!! Even with proper layering!

Hammock
    DangerBird 72
    Tarp
    Kelty 12' for now
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin 20°
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling, DIY
    Quote Originally Posted by Streetgang View Post
    I've noticed the older I get the colder I am in general.
    +1

I used to give off heat like crazy in my 20's and 30's, 40's it settled down and now in my 50's I rarely find the down quilt too warm. I guess I've learned to chill in recent years...

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I'm a furnace...so far.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Hennessy UL Explorer (2QZQ Mod #4)
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Baby Orca & NoSniv
    Suspension
    Whoopie & biner
    Images
    I reckon 'average' since I adapt very quickly to my surrounding area. Never paid too much attention to all the temp rating since I never really got cold.

Well that is, I got cold sometimes but that was due to having a 5 mm thin pad below me when I went to ground with minus 8 (Celsius). Not the temp that scared me but the ground thing

I have a sleeping bag rated to -40 (-40 F = -40 C ), just looking at it makes me warm. Haven't used it yet

Grtz Johan
    My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplaces of existence.

mob: +31 6 44 80 82 63

http://www.dutchunlimited.com
    http://dutchunlimited.com/english/

My YouTube

Images
    I said "average", but maybe I lean more towards warm sometimes. I would have said def "warm" back in the day(on the ground) when I was younger. When I used Marmot and NF down bags with adequate ground pads, I was always plenty warm at or maybe below rated temps. Especially in a tent and especially if other people were in the tent. And usually even under the stars. Once it hit exactly 20*F for 5 nights straight, and I was in a tent with a zero rated Marmot, and I was way to warm every night unless I did major venting.

But then at about age 50 more or less, I got a surprise. On a trip to the Wind Rivers in early Sept, my tent mate was bad sick so I chose to sleep under the stars, which I like to do any way. This was a horse packing trip, so I had the thickest possible Thermarest pad with me. I had my fairly new NF Cat's Meow bag with a Pertex Endurance shell(WPB). Normally rated for 20F, but due to the windproof shell the rating had been boosted to 15F. I do not remember what all I was wearing, but there was plenty of fleece and long johns and fleece hat at the least. I think the lows were only in the upper 20s, but by morning I was kind of cold. Even in full mummy mode, neck collar and hood cinched down to a small breathing hole.

I've been cold once before well above a Marmots rated temps, but I blamed that on sleeping on snow on a 3/4 length Ultralight(thin) Thermarest inflatable pad. This time, there was no snow, all was dry and I was on a TR Camprest, very thick and heavy. I was shocked to be kind of cold.

So, was this a case of the Cat's Meow bag not at all living up to it's rating- as all my NF/Marmot bags had done in the past even under the stars? Or was it me becoming more cold natured as I got older? I tend to think the later. I just don't seem to handle cold quite as well as I used to. But I still figure I am about "average".

Quote Originally Posted by USMCStang View Post
    Well thus far, the poll results are showing one thing...gear manufacturers have thier work cut out for them when it comes to rating their products. Has anyone ever devised a reliable way to standardize temperature ratings to remove the variable of different body types?

My wife is a cold sleeper. Her feet are like ice, and she tends to burrow them under my legs at night. I rather enjoy it, because it cools me down. I have a feeling she will be using my winter quilt as a 3 season this year.
    The European Norm (EN 13537) is the only standardized rating system I know of but it does include a rating for men vs women. Body types are only 1 individual factor. There are also the questions of clothes you sleep in, if you wear a hat, if you are in a tent or bivy or hammock, what kind of pad or if there is a pad at all, how the bag fits your body...

The big advantage of a standard like EN is that it is the same across all brands and models. Its nice to have the ability to say bag X was shown to be warmer than bag Y in the same test. If all the manufacturers used the same system I'd be satisfied. I can always add more clothes or vent the bag if its off for me personally.

I would say I'm slightly above average but a DEEP sleeper.

Hammock
    Clark TX-250 Camo
    Tarp
    10X10 or 12X12
    Insulation
    Clark Z liner
    Suspension
    rings and straps
    Images
    COLD sleeper, no doubt!
    Yesterday's tomorrow is tomorrow's yesterday. It's the only day that counts.

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    cold sleeper here, the wife is hot as heck sleeper, so I don't have a problem for example ordering a TQ say, 40 degree with 3 ozs of overfill for me, then at 20 degrees the wife is using it while I am using a 20 degree with a couple of 2 ozs of overfill, and she is post toasty with the overfill 40 and I am post toasty with a 20 over stuffed, we balance our quilts out that way. Now if you give the wife a 50 degree quilt, she is good all the way to 40 maybe even 35,,lol,,but me,,I love lots of down.
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    Underground Quilts
    Insulation
    Underground Quilts
    Suspension
    whoopieslings
    I found out the hard way that I sleep hot. Went on my first winter hang and the temps were forecasted to be in the low 30's. As a result, I felt confident in my 20 deg UQ and TP. The low that night went to 13 deg but I managed to sleep through the night.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast